RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sweet Gum tree. It was alongside one of my driveways. Miserable thing. Dropped leaves and then dropped big seed pods. Actually kind of liked it until I was told to beware of the root system. Good advice.

One of the tap roots was the size of the trunk. Another was at least 19" wide and about 4 ' thick. It really did look like a giant plywood piece. Unreal the roots. Was firmly told they will tear up foundations and destroy driveways. Get rid of the tree. Today was the day.

Cut it down a month ago. Bloody hell, the stuff is so hard. Today was root day. All morning to chainsaw, saw, chop and dig around to get a handle on the root system. Unreal how huge some parts were. Son did all the digging while I dutifully watched and drank beer. His old Dodge pickup did not budge the thing. Spun wheels in fact. It took more cutting and then he did get it to at least wobble.

My turn. Finished one of my beers and got to work with the Ecodiesel Tractor.

Low range four-wheel drive pulled it and did not slip a tire. Nice to do it without that stupid seat belt bonger also. I shut it off last night. Quite a strain and you could feel the pressure before it tore out. Took everything my 400 Kodiak 4 x 4 quad had to pull it to the back of the property where it is now a shooting backstop.

The Ecodiesel worked like a good truck should.

·
Registered
738 Posts
That's funny. My son keeps telling me his Hemi will smoke me off the line. I keep telling him "OK, let's go stump pulling." You proved my point for me!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm an old man now but when I was a kid and had assigned to me the chore of mowing the yard we had a reel mower and lots of sweetgum trees. About every three feet one of the pods would stop the reel from turning and I would have to stop the mower, reverse the reel a half inch, dig the pod out, and then I could start mowing again. Later we got a rotary mower, which is all you see now-a-days except for the manual push reel mowers, and life got much better. I think rotary mowers were invented by a chap who had a lot of sweetgums in his yard :).

·
Registered
360 Posts
Great story. I especially like how you plan to use the remains. You are recycling. Very Eco friendly!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just pulled a tree stump out at my house. Used the neighbor's Ford F-250 as I didn't own the truck at that time.
I should have left the stump in and cut it flush with the ground and then poison the stump. That way all the roots would have died off, instead of now they are sprouting new little trees all over the yard. Count so far is 19 new trees trying to sprout.

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mow 'em down. Just don't use a reel mower.

Years ago there were only reel mowers and I had a hilly yard to mow back in Pa.

Got the mower to the top and pushed down. left it there, got my old 1949 Harley, tied the mower on and pulled it up cutting a little on the way. Mowed back down, walked up and got the Harley again for another go. Surprising how that stupid mower would actually pull with a rope and the handle flipped over.

Oh - another thing. This morning I used the truck for church and was shocked that my fuel mileage dropped 2 mpg trying to rip that stump out. Also did not really get the thing to stay in low range. Think you have to go to neutral first and I didn't. There was a lot of rpms and noticeable drag getting that thing torn out.

Sweet gums are not "sweet".

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am plagued with sweet gum trees in my yard, I have cut out most of them. There is nothing sweet about a sweet gum tree!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts