RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So how did you overcome limp mode ?
Did AlfaOBD let you finally clear the codes?
I ran the regen twice last night and still wouldn’t let me clear the code so I planned on just swapping the ecu back to the original but ran one more regen this morning and it ran for about a half hour and let me clear the codes after that and have came back yet

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep, takes me at least 3 to 4 tries every time I reset the oil life using the buttons on the steering wheel

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's in limp mode due to the 100% full message.
This may not have anything to do with your issue, but GDE had a procedure to follow when swapping out ECM, and I believe it had to do with resetting DEF level and particle filter level. I dont have that truck any more, and sent the printed directions to the guy who bought my factory ECM.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No you change the vin and injector codes on the new ecu to match the truck

What if I buy a used ECU from a salvage yard? can they be cleared? how can i change the VIN and Injector codes?
i haven't had any of the recalls done yet could i tow it to a dealer and can they reflash?
I'm doing this to preserve my GDE tune

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
77 Posts
What if I buy a used ECU from a salvage yard? can they be cleared? how can i change the VIN and Injector codes?
i haven't had any of the recalls done yet could i tow it to a dealer and can they reflash?
I'm doing this to preserve my GDE tune
Do a search for the Alpha OBD app. Numerous discussions and instructions on how to use the app to update the injector codes and VIN.
Good luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
First off thanks for the quick reply!!
ok I admit I'm lame..not lazy just want to make sure i get the right thing

do you have a link to the sight where i can get one?

·
Registered
137 Posts
also my dealer was willing to swap out my ECU for a new one and flash the new and i would then reinstall my old one.
cost was over a 1K though
i just worried they would flash over my original

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
First off thanks for the quick reply!!
ok I admit I'm lame..not lazy just want to make sure i get the right thing

do you have a link to the sight where i can get one?
Alpha obd is a app on google play can’t get it on apple then I use the obd link mx+ To connect to the obd port on truck. The ecu I got came out of a salvage yard and had multiple codes on it I just cleared them after installing and it works great now

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
also my dealer was willing to swap out my ECU for a new one and flash the new and i would then reinstall my old one.
cost was over a 1K though
i just worried they would flash over my original
I've been paying around 250-300 for used ECU's. The AlfaOBD app is $49. Then a bluetooth OBD Dongle is anywhere from $15-$100. I use the VeePeak BLE from Amazon and it's closer to $30, so much cheaper than the MX+ and works just as well. Don't get the VeePeak BLE+, make sure it's the BLE.

Reactions: 3DHawkeye

·
Super Moderator
2,652 Posts
Like others have said, do a search for Alphaobd, get an ECU from salvage, pefrrerably same year and rear axle ratio as your truck, install and update vin and injector codes. Drive to dealer and let them do their thing. Once back home reinstall the GDE ECU. Problem solved. Directions are in the following thread.

Reactions: Bounty Hunter

·
Registered
137 Posts
Like others have said, do a search for Alphaobd, get an ECU from salvage, pefrrerably same year and rear axle ratio as your truck, install and update vin and injector codes. Drive to dealer and let them do their thing. Once back home reinstall the GDE ECU. Problem solved. Directions are in the following thread.

Thanks to all who replied!! Super helpful!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts