RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will first start by saying that quite possibly the best part of originally buying my ED last March has been joining this forum, reading, laughing, sometimes getting a bit worked up over a post here or there and just gaining so much wisdom from the members. I am almost 47 years old and I seek out those who are older for nothing more than to learn life, and learn is surely what I have done here over the last year.

I feel that I am a pretty good read on people and usually by the pics included, words written, and overall tone of a post i get whether someone would be the kind that i could share a cold one with and i have not felt that their is one member here that i could not at least do that with.

As of yesterday evening, I exchanged the keys to my 2015 ED Laramie for a 2016 Tradesman CTD. Yes, i feel like a hypocrite. Yes i feel sad that it is gone but i approached my local dealer over a month ago on a whim and a long shot and we were nowhere close. They called me Saturday and they had apparently been working overtime on the pencil sharpener and were able to get to my number. My number may not be the "best" number but having a one year old trade in has its consequences which my wife and i felt now is as good a time as any if we wish to do this as we are in our prime earning years, do it now, pay it off, get the trailer we want and don't look back.

For those who question my decision, it is 100% towing based. When I bought the truck last year, we planned on reentering the camping life. We had camped for a long time and life started getting in the way and have had some time off. Well the original thought of a pop up quickly left as we have a couple larger dogs now and our demographics, 21, 16, 10 year old kids coupled with our age steered us to a travel trailer. Well that prompted us to start looking around and based on our "wants", had us up in the 32' plus range. Well on thing led to another and we are now gravitating to a 5th wheel. Although a 32' plus bumper pull can be had, the stage we are at right at this moment in life we decided to get it done.

I will check in from time to time out of habit but thank you all who allowed me to PM them and offered up invaluable advice.

God bless you all and thank you again for everything.

Ray

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Congrats on the new truck.

Its all about what fits your needs, sounds like the EcoD wasn't going to fill the shoes for you. I had a CTD a few years ago and it was a great truck, and did what I wanted and needed at the time. My needs changed to the opposite of yours and I downsized for better economy. Best luck hope all goes well.

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
I checked too. Not for towing like you as I do not tow heavy any more, for transmission. Just like manual transmissions and miss my old ways.

Two dealers did not have a pencil sharpener. Deals were "no deal" and they both lost my phone number.

With your towing needs it reads like a good decision. Haul N Grass also did the same thing. He tried but the payload of a 1500 could not handle those heavy hay bales he loaded. Keep us posted on how it runs and the fuel mileage.

·
Super Moderator
2,953 Posts
Hey Ray congrats and don't be a stranger here. We like to hear the pros & cons as you see it. As you know I deliver TTs for a living and only have the ED as I had it before starting this combined with the fact that I live close to Airstream which has all smaller lighter trailers. Well biggest currently is 30'11" 7,800 which still works well with the ED with proper hitch n bags. Anyway I find much over 30' gets to be a pita with a bumper pull at many non big rig fuel stops and here it about campsites as well.

With your family you will want at least a 30 as some days it rains and you eat inside and they have friends over etc. Which all often leads you to say a 35'+ 5er. Load that up with your brew and gear and the 2500 becomes a much better tool for the job. Were you able to get the rear air suspension they say it rides a lot better loaded or not. Maybe not ED ride but a far cry from the old kidney jarring 3/4 tons of yesteryear.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
RAY, Glad to have shared this forum with you. We went from a 25 ft to a 31 foot for the space when making long extended trips like we made last year, We are making one more long trip starting soon and then we are going back to a smaller trailer as we love to make weekend trips to small state parks in the mountains, and fish the streams and many do not handle 30 footers. Loved the 5th wheeler that I had years ago but do not miss hauling it in traffic. Guess that comes with aging :roll eyes:
Keep us posted on your adventure’s as we are all in the Ram family. Best too you. Ray

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats on the new truck.

·
Super Moderator
2,517 Posts
Congrats on the CTD. As others have said, stop by from time to time and don't be a stranger.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On another note, does anyone have a good recommendation on a CTD forum? The bar has been set so high here that I will surely miss the group but would like to get plugged in to a forum on the new ride.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I was on the Turbo Diesel Register - TDR Roundtable all the years I had the other RAMS, The used to have a big gathering yearly with lots of vendors and such. Never went to one but read about them. You can also get a TRD magazine for a fee.I believe it used to be a quarterly subscription.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the link! I will check it out and post pics once i actually take some.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Congrats on the new 6.7, bruh. I had a '14 and it was a GREAT truck. Smooth ride for a 3/4-ton.

·
Registered
481 Posts
after reading this again, lol I too have to admit I have been looking at the 2500 CTD
only because I need more tow capacity for trailering my race car and all its accersories and such. Hope your CTD is what you need!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
after reading this again, lol I too have to admit I have been looking at the 2500 CTD
only because I need more tow capacity for trailering my race car and all its accersories and such. Hope your CTD is what you need!
What are you pulling? I've got a 24ft enclosed right now that my ED pulls w/o issue. I'd really like to upgrade to a 30 so I could fit the golf cart in as well. Once that happens the weight really starts getting to be an issue. I'm ready for a new trailer but I don't want to deal with the load pulling with my ED.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I love my EcoDiesel, but when you get into the area of towing 10k with regularity your in the 3/4+ ton market. I wouldn't hesitate to tow 10k lbs every once in a great while or short distance with almost any half ton, but add regularity and/or longer distance to that and I wouldn't do it with a 1/2 ton. Sure it has a diesel in it, but it is still a half ton pickup and has its limits.

·
Registered
481 Posts
What are you pulling? I've got a 24ft enclosed right now that my ED pulls w/o issue. I'd really like to upgrade to a 30 so I could fit the golf cart in as well. Once that happens the weight really starts getting to be an issue. I'm ready for a new trailer but I don't want to deal with the load pulling with my ED.
its what i plan on pulling.

right now the trailer im looking at is rated total at 7,000 enclosed and my car is 2600, i got 6 wheels with tires, tools, jack/stands, and want to get a tire machine on there as well if i can fit it. some chairs, tent, and extra motors. and i dont think it will fit under 7k. and my limited i believe is rated to tow 7200 mad iirc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts