RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
I had a CTS2. pillar mounted in my 2016 Eco, changed it to a CTS3. The CTS3 is much easier to select and change PIDs, same with accessing other features such as Diagnostics, etc. Better screen resolution too. The 2 had a 12 PID slot screen, in the 3 it's 16 slots. The 3 takes a different pillar mount bezel (Edge sent me one for free). The 3 has an Avg miles since last regen PID but it does not work in the Eco.

There are some things I liked better in the CTS2. The CTS2 Gear PID showed if locked, the 3 dropped that feature, just show the gear. The 3 had a EGT4 PID, the 3 does not.

Edge will give you a $100.00 CTS2 trade-in discount on the 3 but you can get more selling it.

Here are pics of what I monitored on my 2 and what I'm monitoring on my 3. Still playing with 3 PIDs.

CTS2
Edge CTS2 1500 Screen.jpg

CTS3
Edge CTS3 1500 Screen.jpg

Reactions: Kazimodo

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
I wonder if the CTS3 is usable with the Ecodiesel Rams 2017 and newer ??
because the CTS2 was no good for them , and EDGE never put out a software update
to make it work for 2017s and newer.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Kaz,
That's a tough one to answer. I called them about a CTS3 on my 2020 Cummins. All they could say is they haven't tested that yet. My brother called them about his 2017 and their answer was, "we haven't had any complaints". My nephew called about his 2020 and they said, "Don't know. buy it and try it out".

I put one in my 2020 Cummins and it works great. My point is, Edge isn't much help and their answers are depending on who answers the Edge phone, no consistency.

·
Registered
13,597 Posts
Kaz,
That's a tough one to answer. I called them about a CTS3 on my 2020 Cummins. All they could say is they haven't tested that yet. My brother called them about his 2017 and their answer was, "we haven't had any complaints". My nephew called about his 2020 and they said, "Don't know. buy it and try it out".

I put one in my 2020 Cummins and it works great. My point is, Edge isn't much help and their answers are depending on who answers the Edge phone, no consistency.
John,

What are some of the things you can monitor on your Cummins with the CTS3? Is there anything you can actually do, like inducing a regeneration?

Thanks for the comments above.

·
Registered
964 Posts
John,

What are some of the things you can monitor on your Cummins with the CTS3? Is there anything you can actually do, like inducing a regeneration?

Thanks for the comments above.
Capt,
My pic shows some of the things one can monitor. Most all the other things I don't even know what they are or I'm not interested in. As far as things you can actually do I'd refer you to Edge's web site, as there are quite a few features. I think they also list the available PIDS. The Edge CTS3 is loaded with stuff, a lot that I'll never use.

I earlier forgot to mention you can set up three different screens, and merely finger scroll between them. My main screen is the 16 item screen and my other two have different dial & analog gauges that expand some PIDs that are on my 16 item screen. Foe example, if I see an ECT1 temp doing something strange I can scroll to a screen that concentrates only on that and related temps. Very versatile.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Talked with folks at Edge today. They say the CTS3 doesn’t do forced regens like the 2. Is that the case John?
I don't know as haven't looked for that feature. If they are correct, they should be but sometimes they are not, that was an important feature IMO, now gone - too bad.

I'll look to be sure and report back.

·
Registered
13,597 Posts
Forcing a regen is a good thing, especially for the Ecodiesel as it requires 1,500 rpm. I assume that is still the case with the Gen 3's.

Now the Cummins can and does do a regeneration at idle if you keep it in gear. There is no need to go through all the old histrionics I used to do with the Ecodiesel to get one that started to end.

Still think that is a useful feature and await your testing.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Checked my CTS3s today. Edge is correct, no forced regen ability with the 2016 Eco or the 2020 Cummins.

So - what was a good thing with Edge is no longer available. I am going to register my disappointment with them as I see no reason for taking it away.

Checked AlfaOBD on my 2020 Cummins and the only thing I find is the stationary regen. And that takes 80 minutes, the engine has to be at temp and it says to remove the spare tire, etc. (I assume to prevent fire).
I wonder what would happen if one started the stationary and then drove off to somewhere ??? And, on the road would it still take 80 minutes?

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
13,597 Posts
I sat in a parking lot in drive. Then when my wife got out from the store, we drove 3 miles and I took her to another store. The regeneration was on the entire time and then ended in that second lot. Guessing at slow to NO speed it took a solid 15 minutes.

When I catch one while driving it seems like a normal 10 minute or less activity.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I sat in a parking lot in drive. Then when my wife got out from the store, we drove 3 miles and I took her to another store. The regeneration was on the entire time and then ended in that second lot. Guessing at slow to NO speed it took a solid 15 minutes.

When I catch one while driving it seems like a normal 10 minute or less activity.
That's good to know. Definitely better than the Eco's regen process.

Reactions: Captainmal

·
Registered
964 Posts
For you folks thinking about upgrading, contact Edge. They used to have a trade in for your old unit. They gave me $100 for my old unit when I bought a CTS2 a few months ago.
Like I said in post #4, They still do.

Reactions: Lucky Dog
1 - 18 of 18 Posts