RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think I remember GDE saying they use the egr valve to prevent over post conditions. Since the turbo doesn't have a blowoff, would totally blocking cause any issues?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I think I remember GDE saying they use the egr valve to prevent over post conditions. Since the turbo doesn't have a blowoff, would totally blocking cause any issues?
They used to do this but it's no longer the case.

·
Registered
44 Posts
They used to do this but it's no longer the case.
I think they will,have to do a different tune if the egr system is completely removed. There will not be any way to compensate for some over boost situations that can occure with this turbo. I am willing to bet they will have to make some changes as compared to the normal tune one gets with the egr system still installed.

·
Administrator
8,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the seller:

ECM Programming

This product requires proper ECM programming. Contact your engine calibrator before you order this product to ensure compatibility. We recommend the Hot Tune from Green Diesel Engineering (no affiliation).

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am interested in this but have confusion. I think this is the best way to ask my question:

Why is this (or is it) better then just the hot tune alone? And i'll need lamen terms for sure about the why's and how's etc. thanks.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Thought the GDE tune basically did that with their ECM. If so, then this would only be something useful in racing applications with tuners for max power. Going this way for street usage would be a whole lot more expensive than just doing a regular GDE programming.

Kind of doubt the little 3.0 has any serious, not curiosity, racing applications for this to be universally wanted.

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Captainmal Kind of doubt the little 3.0 has any serious said:
I don't think it is ever about "racing" applications, but more about being able to sell it legal of course.

Austin, that makes sense now. Last question: is there any drawbacks for longevity by doing the block off kit and all that comes with it? Hoping this isn't beating a dead horse, sorry if it is. Just seems like something in back of my mind reading a comment somewhere that there is some venting of some kind that takes place through some valve (butterfly?) and its usefull to keep it in place. In other words, yes the egr is off w/ GDE but not 100 percent all the time. Something along those lines anyway, don't hold me to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts