RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My story may seem long but we would really appreciate some help or advice with this problem..

I own a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 echo diesel..I purchased this from my friend with full extended warranty and had no problems for a year until I drove to Florida and is where I am now.. We pulled into a Walmart because of loud engine knocking and burning smell in the cab. All gauges were normal including oil and water being gaugers. I turned the engine off and checked under the hood and continued to check the oil. The dip stick had no reading of oil and the oil was changed two days before we left from Ontario.. Drove 1300 miles..No record of any oil loss prior to our trip.. I called my dealer back in Ontario and they told me to put proper oil in and start the engine.. I did and the engine took 3 quarts of diesel oil to come to the proper reading.
I took the truck a Florida dealer and asked for them to check for leaks and they changed the oil and found no leaks.. Gave me the truck back started warranty loss procedure and sent me on my way..
Next day truck lost all power and I crawled into the dealership and that’s where it is today.. They took the engine reading code and did a diagnostic check and thought it was a emissions module so ordered one and next day started to tear the components apart.. Well they found 3 holes in my intake manifold caused from over heating..

My question: Does anyone know what is causing the oil loss and then is the EGR modular cooler that is under recall causing the engine to over heat and destroying the Intake manifold.. I like my truck but would like to know what the heck the problems are causing this headache. My truck is at the dealer waiting for the new Intake manifold and wondering if we actually require the EGR module fix and will it solve my broken engine oil loss? The Dealer is not helping with any long term resolve ...

We would really appreciate help from everyone that can share a possible fix...

·
Super Moderator
4,060 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Wish it was for better circumstances but that's sort of the nature of forums, looking for answers to problems.
The oil loss is a bit baffling, one thing that could explain the oil loss without seeing a leak is a bad turbo seal. Turbos typically use pressurized oil for the bearings.
Another thing that could explain being low on oil and made me think of it was the amount you were down, 3 quarts. The oil spec for the Jeep GC EcoD was 8 quarts and there was someone else on this forum from Canada that ended up low on oil also.
Just throwing some ideas of maybe what, hopefully the dealer gets you fixed up and back on the road. Let us know what they find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for sharing..I will check with dealer about possible Turbo leakage.. just seems hard to believe EGR cooler headaches began same time oil was low..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just had a very similar problem and am here looking for possible causes. Had oil changed a month ago and has been fine until yesterday when I heard an odd sound from the engine... kind of like a drummer using brushes instead of sticks? Anyway, on my way home all guages were normal except oil temp which is usually around 200 was now going from 228 down to 208 then back up, and the noise wa getting louder. My zero oil pressure light started flashing and the guage started swinging from 0 to 50 nd back to zero. then it stalled. I'm sure it has"nt been leaking oil up to yesterday. It's on the side of the highway now and I'm about to go check oil then buy a gallon of oil if needed so I can limp home and contct my dealer. I've had the emissions update done. 115,000 miles. 2014 ED.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for reply. my oil loss is still a mystery with no leaks showing anywhere.. My intake manifold was finished with 3 holes from over heating. It’s in the shop waiting for new intake manifold.. The next check when intake is installed and working will be the turbo...just to insure it’s not using oil and is functioning properly. Make sure your EGR is functional and your EGR cooler is working..The EGR cooler portion that is in the intake manifold clogs up with sut and so also needs to be cleaned regularly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts