RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my truck threw the P0401 code three weeks ago, I took it to the dealer (different dealer than where I purchased it) and they said bad EGR Valve. I had asked them to check for soot buildup due to the insufficient flow code, but they said there's no way soot had anything to do with it at only 45,000 miles. 100 miles later, truck throws the same code. I take it back to the dealer. A couple days later they said yep, everything was plugged up with soot and that I need a new EGR Cooler. My truck has been at the shop for going on two weeks. I finally heard from the service manager, and the part is on back order until June 17.

FCA "good willed" the replacement of the EGR Valve because the truck was just a few thousand miles out of the factory warranty. I understood I was taking a risk buying a 2014, but purchased the premium extended warranty for peace of mind. The "premium" extended warranty is now trying to get out of paying for the EGR Cooler repair, telling me to take this up with FCA. FCA is telling me they already did me a huge favor paying for the first repair when it was out of warranty. And the service manager at the dealer has said "this bill will be yours and that first one probably should've been too." What the hell is the extended warranty good for then? No parts for two months, a large repair bill, and a bum extended warranty. This has turned into a slight headache.

I bought the truck with 32,000 miles on it. After speaking with FCA, I learned that the truck had been serviced under warranty four times (said for computer issues) during its first ownership. I love the truck, but I'm worried about keeping it. It may be flawless for the next 100,000 miles, but in the back of my mind I think I'm going to be thinking about issues and expensive repairs. I'm definitely considering moving it on down the road, but don't really know what route to take. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Get an tune that shuts off the egr, there are multiple options. Or you could try and clean the cooler a dilution of purple power and soaking overnight might do the trick.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The EGR is an evil nasty thing that has no place whatsoever on a diesel motor. Deleting the EGR is the best warranty that you can purchase for your ED. I did not even consider buying the ED until there were EGR delete tunes available. That is good advise for any diesel purchase, check and make sure tunes are available before you buy.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I try and be somewhat environmental, and I agree, the EGR does not belong on diesels. I rather have bigger SCRs using more DEF to get closer to the NOx limit. Been GDE tuned since week 1 on the Ram, which was built new, and since week 1 on the Jeep Liberty, which was bought used.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
You have been told.

One thing that scares many is the word "tuned". It carries the connotation of fire-breathing power and maybe engine destruction. Most all the above comments may imply that issue. NO!

Green Diesel Engineering - GDE - markets an engine control module (ECM) made to fix some reliability and operational issues. It is easier on the engine than factory control. One thing it does is detune the sensors in the DEF system. It also addresses your issue with the EGR system. Performance changes are there but minor and do not stress the motor.

Contact GDE, they have a forum section here to get further information. Describe your issues and ask how their product might deal with that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the replies, fellas. I've researched the GDE tune and realize that this would most likely eliminate the issues I am having. I'm trying not to be paranoid, but after struggling with the extended warranty and what not, I don't have the trust that I had prior to this situation. I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm going to give GDE a call and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The best warranty you can purchase for a diesel engine is to delete the EGR as soon as you purchase the vehicle. Of the diesels I have owned (Liberty, ED, and Cruze), I made sure EGR deletes were available before I bought them. My wife's Jag F-Pace 2.0D still has a functioning EGR. Can't find a tuner in the USA that can shut the thing off for me. On the plus side though, Jaguar engineered its new Ingenium diesel EGR to cycle exhaust gas after it has passed through the DPF. So, in theory, the recycled gas is free of soot. I am going to have a look at the throttle valve and intake soon to see if that theory is fact. Jag also places a cooler inline between the exhaust pickup and EGR valve. So far, after 15k miles we have had no problems with the Jag 2.0.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts