RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

EGR Cooler Leak and GDE Hot Tune

9K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  faspolok 
#1 ·
I know there are alot of coolant leak threads on here but this question pertains to trucks with the GDE Hot Tune. My 2016 eco has had a very slow coolant leak since I bought it used with 24k miles 7 months ago(just now realizing this). It was low when I bought the truck so I had a dealer refill it. I installed the GDE hot tune same month I bough the truck.

6 month later I noticed my A/C heater would not blow hot air so I took it in and found out the coolant level was very low, dealer said the EGR Cooler is leaking and wants $2,500 to install a new one since i am not covered by the 36k mile warranty since the truck had 36,050 miles when I took it in. Horrible luck, and I didn't think to take it in before hitting 36k miles.

I currently have a claim in with FCA to see if they will replace it for me under good faith since I paid to have the truck fully inspected at 25k miles and the leak was not found even though the coolant level was super low.

Here's my question: If they dont replace the egr cooler for me, can I just monitor the coolant level and add coolant when needed and not worry about fixing the leak? I only have 36k miles and am not ready to delete as I do not want to lose the motor warranty if the engine fails. The hot tune turns the EGR off right? So does running the truck long term as-is run the risk of damaging the dpf or engine.

If it does, I guess I should just delete and have $10k stored away in the event of engine failure? Worried about selling the truck once deleted down the road, Im in texas so Im sure someone would buy it. lol. Thanks for any info and advice!

See less See more
#2 ·
You can do a Stage 1 EGR delete to remove the diffuser tube if the coolant is leaking from the EGR into the intake. Do a Stage 2 EGR delete to remove the entire EGR unit if it's leaking coolant into the exhaust. Both can be reversed in the event of an engine failure.

Coolant will be detrimental to the DPF and SCR if allowed to continue to leak into the exhaust.

It's possible coolant is leaking at the turbo. The exhaust downpipe would need to be lowered to inspect for coolant.

I recently went with the Stage 1 EGR delete to see if it stops the coolant loss in my '16. Stage 2 will be the next step for me. Get mine from CFT Performance INC. .

#8 ·
well due to the fact I put the wrong coolant in the truck. I took it to a different dealer in town today and they flushed it and tested for leaks and found nothing “out of the ordinary” they said my ear probably leaks a little bit but that wasn’t grounds to replace it. Looks like the first dealer I went to was try to rip me off.

Looks like I am okay for now but will be buying the stage 1 EGR delete soon anyway. It’s cheap and easy so might as well do it. Then if it starts losing coolant quickly I will delete the whole EGR.

Thanks for the responses! Had no idea the stage 1 EGR delete was so simple.

#10 ·
Texag , keep the bottle at the right level , well documented that once a certain level is reached in the bottle
, it will stay at that level , but your engine and whole cooling system will keep going down , if you add all the way to the " cold full line "
then after use it is way down , just means the lower coolant level in system came to suck what it could from the bottle , just add until
the system , Rad , and engine is full , then you will really know how fast it is going down .
agree with other , your picture does not show coolant leaking OUT of the EGR , could still be leaking Inside , out of view.

#14 ·
Time to part ways with the EGR

Well, looks like I am going to do a full EGR delete. I have driven almost 1k miles since starting this thread and have seen a noticeable drop in the coolant level. I emailed GDE and my tune allows me to do a full stage 2 delete so I am going to take on this project. Any advice from the forum?? I live in an apartment and only have hand tools, is this something I should be able to do myself or should I take it to a shop?? I'd like to do it myself but cant afford to have my truck down for a few days if I run into any problems. Thanks in advance for any advice!

below is an email from GDE, and they mention that the stage 1 kit wont help with my leaking EGR. I think the stage 1 delete keeps the EGR from leaking coolant into the intake?? this is more important to me than coolant leaking into the exhaust. should I just do a stage 1 delete or take on the stage 2 delete?

Text Font Line Logo Brand

#16 ·
nt afford to have my truck down for a few days if I run into any problems. Thanks in advance for any advice!

below is an email from GDE, and they mention that the stage 1 kit wont help with my leaking EGR. I think the stage 1 delete keeps the EGR from leaking coolant into the intake?? this is more important to me than coolant leaking into the exhaust. should I just do a stage 1 delete or take on the stage 2 delete?

View attachment 63481
You can do what I'm doing, the EGR delete in steps. I installed the stage 1 and now monitoring coolant level. Any more problems and it'll likely be the stage 2 delete next.

CFT Performance INC. is one option for both kits. I've talked to the owner and it sounds like the state 2 install is much easier if you remove the passenger tire and inner fender skirt. This allows better access to the back of the head/turbo downpipe area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.