RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed to the dealer in the morning for the EGR cooler recall. Little background, SFT Rally tuned TCM and and GDE Hot tuned ECU. Flashed the TCM back to stock with the SFT handheld and swapped out the GDE ECU for the stock ECU because the dealer said they have to hook up to the truck to do an update after the new cooler install ??

·
Registered
125 Posts
You’re probably planning to keep the EGR intact afterwards? Was yours leaking yet? I got the recall done and am planning to leave the EGR in place, even if I have to do a stage 2 tune. My thought is that the new EGR will not be fatigued from the hot exhaust gases, and will last forever.
On another note. How do you like the sft tranny tune? I also have a GDE hot tune but realize I don’t have many options for the tranny tune.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine was not leaking from what I could tell. The only reason I have not done a full delete is because I'm trying to keep my options open if I ever sell it to someone that lives in an EPA unfriendly state or to a dealer. My next best option was to get the GDE Hot tune to turn the EGR off to hopefully get more longevity from the engine. I am more impressed with the SFT trans tune than I am the GDE tuned ECU performance wise but as long as it keeps my engine running cleaner then I'm happy

·
Registered
125 Posts
@FCAEMPLOYEE thats great to hear. I literally talked to someone in here a few weeks ago and they were not impressed with the sft tranny tune. I suppose having it is better than nothing.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I just had this done last week, they replaced my original EGR that wasn't leaking and had 115k miles on it. I had to swap back in the stock ECU and I told them to not update the TCM as I couldn't get my programmer to remove the TCM tune. I think the programmer got wet under my back seat. Powers on and updates but touchscreen no worky. Thank goodness I have a great dealership and they didn't flash the TCM. Nice one day turnaround included a '20 Hemi Ram loaner.

MRtuning has just released their trans tune again. I would use them long before SFT, just me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm headed to the dealer in the morning for the EGR cooler recall. Little background, SFT Rally tuned TCM and and GDE Hot tuned ECU. Flashed the TCM back to stock with the SFT handheld and swapped out the GDE ECU for the stock ECU because the dealer said they have to hook up to the truck to do an update after the new cooler install ??
Good to hear, I will be doing the exact same thing in a week or two. Have the same pre epa GDE tune as you and will be putting the stock ECU back for the service.
I also have the same SFT trans tune. I really like both tunes!
Now if we could just get the new tone ring!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I just "deleted" my egr cooler at 102,000 miles. Waited for warrantee to run out. I did the GDE hot tune at 5,000 miles, btw. Was surprised how clean the diffuser tube was! Had planned to clean the MAP sensor at the same time, but given the cleanliness of the diffuser tube, skipped. So, the old GDE tune does a hell of a job keeping soot out.

·
Administrator
9,092 Posts
Good Luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well they told me 2 hours when I made the appointment so I figured I would just wait for it. Pulled in at 7:55am and left at 2;15pm. Guess the Tech broke a bolt off and had to argue with it. Truck is done though and the GDE ECU is back on line along with my SFT trans tune. Side note: They do an update to the EPA tune called a performance tune and I noticed it made a BIG difference in throttle response from the original AEM tune on the drive home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my ‘16 EcoD, the Updated AEM (VA7) did drive a little better cold and in general. I was running original AEM for one tank before and one tank after with updated AEM, and at best mpg improved 0.5 for 50/50 city / highway mix. Could tell there was a little bit of torque at 1300-1600 vs nothing below 1500 on original AEM. So slightly better, but not even close to pre-AEM / factory tune. Trans tune with VA7 just as flimsy as original AEM. Drops from 8th too easily on interstate. After VA7 about 175 to first DPF regen. No improvement there; still big soot maker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just received a second notice that I haven't had it done yet, I've been on the "list" at my dealer since early July 2020. maybe I need to rattle their cage a little.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I finally convinced myself to get the recall done, I called the dealer to make the appointment and they said they needed my vin number to order the part and would call me to set up the appointment when it came in. Took them about a week and a half.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts