RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Ram was in the shop for 2 months Sep and Oct after the emissions recall, waiting on a new egr cooler even before this new recall. We got it back first week in Nov. On Thanksgiving Day the egr cooler cracked and is now in the shop again, but with the new egr not even being built yet, how long will it be in the shop this time. Our problems with this truck go back to July and I just want to cry now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are not alone. I hope you at least were given a loaner.
I talked to the FCA today and they have to start a new case # aside from the previous one. They will call the dealership next week to see where it stands. I can say this now, I will never buy another Ram.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,496 Posts
I can say this now, I will never buy another Ram.
I think I've heard this statement from people for just about every vehicle manufacturer out there.
How the dealership handles what's happening and technician working on your vehicle usually has the biggest impact on people making the "I'll never buy another" statement.
There was one member that I think had 3 new sets of fuel injectors installed in his truck without the problem being solved, that is just insane. To have one diesel injector go bad is rare but repeat multiple sets is next to impossible without something causing it. As an FYI the fuel injectors in these trucks operate at upwards of 30,000 psi compared to the 50 psi in a gas truck, the diesel ones are a lot more robust.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I talked to the FCA today and they have to start a new case # aside from the previous one. They will call the dealership next week to see where it stands. I can say this now, I will never buy another Ram.
Check lemon laws in your state. How many actual days was the truck in the shop? Get a rental from them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
Our Ram was in the shop for 2 months Sep and Oct after the emissions recall, waiting on a new egr cooler even before this new recall. We got it back first week in Nov. On Thanksgiving Day the egr cooler cracked and is now in the shop again, but with the new egr not even being built yet, how long will it be in the shop this time. Our problems with this truck go back to July and I just want to cry now.
Does the AEM come with the warranty and associated lemon law buyback requirements?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don’t blame you at all.
The Ram doesn’t even compare to a GMC. The Ram driving it sounds like a tin can.
Drive one of each and u tell me!
Ram sucks......

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I don’t blame you at all.
The Ram doesn’t even compare to a GMC. The Ram driving it sounds like a tin can.
Drive one of each and u tell me!
Ram sucks......
Message me and I'll tell you how I spent over $12K for repairs on my GMC Duramax. The language wouldn't be appropriate here. Would have been an nice truck if you just ignore that little indisposition.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Our daughter just bought a new house. We went by a couple of weeks ago to visit, and her neighbors house's front garage was scorched, as in a fire. Also sitting just outside the garage was a Mustang and a mini van, both burnt as well. Turns out the Mustang, brand new with less than a couple of thousand miles, somehow combusted sitting outside the garage. The car was not running. I guess we should stay away from Mustangs as well.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,496 Posts
Message me and I'll tell you how I spent over $12K for repairs on my GMC Duramax.
We're you unfortunate to own one of the Duramax engines that massively leaked fuel from the internal injectors filling the crankcase full?
Seen one at the dealer start smoking badly, the mechanic stated that one didn't catch fire but the previous one did.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
We're you unfortunate to own one of the Duramax engines that massively leaked fuel from the internal injectors filling the crankcase full?
Seen one at the dealer start smoking badly, the mechanic stated that one didn't catch fire but the previous one did.
No, mine didn't have enough miles (80K) for the injector leak before a head gasket blew. They had a known head gasket problem and my tuner probably exasperated that. So, to bring the LB7 up to par with the newer Duramax, I had to do the new style head gaskets, ARP studs, injectors and crankshaft position sensor. In addition, the early 2500s were know to have weak front ends and the manual even says not to put larger size tires on it. I had one size larger and the first thing to go were wheel bearings and tie rod ends. A specialty shop rebuilt the front end with aftermarket heavy duty parts. So, without the individual costs, there went $12K.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello everyone, my name is Bruno Paquette, and I purchased a 2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn Eco Diesel a month ago.
70,200 km's on the clock. The reason I went with a Dodge ECODIESEL was for fuel economy / long term operating costs.

In the past 4 weeks, I have been to a dealership for servicing 5 times, with engine warning light coming on and off on a weekly basis.
a few recalls were done in the first week, which seems to have affected the fuel economy and is causing a pronounced throttle lag, until the engine is fully warmed up.
And then a huge problem surfaced, the mechanic finds a severe coolant leak into the air intake, which has resulted in vehicles catching fire while in operation, and here is where Chrysler is really sticking to the owners, Chrysler has known about this problem for over a year and half, yet still there is a HUGE back order on the replacement parts required to fix this defect.
In my case the mechanic informed me not to drive my new truck until the part is replaced, when will the part be available?..... no one a Chrysler knows, but there are huge numbers of owners dealing with the same problem.
I contacted Fiat Chrysler Canada, they asked me to take my vehicle to a different dealership to have the diagnosis confirmed, I did that this morning and was informed I should not drive my truck, that they would contact me when the part was available, and when can I expect this part to be available? is it days ? weeks? or months away?
No one at Chrysler has any answers for that, oh yeah, and I'm making payments on a truck that I can not drive!
Is Chrysler going to pay for a rental vehicle while I wait for a replacement part? first I was told "no" and later Chrysler Canada has informed me that they would think about renting a vehicle for me and would get back to me. THEY HAVE NOT GOTTEN BACK TO ME.
DO NOT PURCHASE AN ECO DIESEL, mine has 70,000 Kilometers on it and it is self destructing! Is Chrysler demonstrating any accountability on this problem? No, none!
To add insult to injury, the customer service weasel at Chrysler Canada took offence to the fact that I am absolutely pissed about this entire event, I am apparently such an unreasonable person!
Look I understand that vehicles have defects that lead to recalls, I certainly did not have expectations of perfection. This is completely a different animal, Chrysler has been aware of this issue for a long time, that they chose not to utilize that time effect repairs, and stock pile EGR replacement parts, but Chrysler did not do that. So now there is a huge back order of parts because scores of Eco Diesel owners are in the same predicament as I am, with a vehicle Chrysler tells me not to drive, they can't tell me when I can expect to have the problem repaired, nor does Chrysler take any ownership of this problem, will they pay / compensate me with anything/ how about paying for a rental vehicle since I cant drive mine? I am Still waiting.
The bottom line is that if you purchase an ecodiesel, you are playing Russian roulette, maybe it will be ok, or maybe you're in for a very nasty surprise, if you fall under the latter category, you should know that Chrysler's response has been to tell their customers to "suck on it" you will discover all kinds of level of anger. Dodge used to be the only show in town when it came to a Diesel in a half ton pick up. Well, there are other options now to Dodge, go check those options out.
I am so completely disappointed with my purchase and with Chrysler Canada's response. no offer of a courteousy car or rental car, and I was informed by a service manager at the dodge dealership that FCA has suspended repairing the EGR cooler, no parts will be available, and the Dodge dealerships were not given any information as to when they can again expect to have replacement parts in inventory again.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
welcome to the site Bruno ,
you can click this Mopar page link :

look for line where it is written VB1 ( 13th in the list )
the expected release date of the new design EGR is April 9th 2020 , so 1 month away ,
some dealers in the US were already sent some of the new EGR and have started to fit them on trucks .
ALL 2014 to 2019 Ecodiesel will get the new EGR .
You purchased the truck used , make sure FCA has you on their lists as the owner of your truck ,
so you can receive recall letters in the mail .

I'll try to get you up to speed ...
the recalls you describe that the dealer did , that made your truck have more lag is called the '' AEM ''
getting that '' AEM '' in the USA , gave owners $3075 US , and an extended warranty , in Canada they just sneak up on you
and apply the AEM and you get NOTHING , that is why most canadian owners refuse the AEM ,
......BUT... since January 2020 there is another version AEM , called V07 , that dealers can flash and it corrects
the previous versions unwanted side effects .

Most , not all , dealers have no clue when it comes to the ECOdiesel ,
and say a lot of bull shit that they actually believe to be true , just ignorance .

Read up on getting a tune , it is a lot of money ( +/- 1000 to 1400 ) but ensures the truck will
run for many hundreds of thousand of KMs , without the EGR sending soot in the Intake .
IMHO , best tunes out there :

AND

the GDE page says sold out but just because they don't do business with USA owners ,
business as usual with canadian owners.
----------------------
there are ways to get the tune for a lot less money , it involves buying a used Engine Control Module
that was tuned , ( nothing illegal there , tunes are transferable ) and having the original company that
sold the tune program your truck's Vin number and injector codes to that used tuned ECM , to make
it work in your truck , if you are handy with computers you can get a AlfaOBD app for $50 US and
change the VIN and injector codes yourself .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Kazimoto, thank you for your reply and helpful hints. I know absolutely nothing about re-tuning the engine, so please forgive my ignorance, but if I get my engine re-tuned (when ever I get it back) from a program outside what is approved my FCA, Does this now void my powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
keep the stock ECM , when going to dealer , ( if you ever need to because tuned truck rarely need to )
just 15 minutes swap ECM and go to dealer with original module , no way they will void warranty ,
DON'T TELL DEALER ABOUT THE TUNE .
when back home with truck go back to tuned ECM , you will not like the truck anyways with stock tune
after being tuned .
Never trust dealer by telling them '' do not flash my module '' , 50/50 chance they flash over your tune
even if you told them not to , and they said they would not , then you have to pay a fee to the tune providers to get it back .
exemple of work involved when you install tuned ECM for the '' FIRST TIME '' :

>>>>>> subsequent swaps are just plug and play <<<<<<<

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually Kazimodo, if I can ask you one more question, what kind of money am i laying down for a spare ECM, and then for the actual re tune, ball park figure is all im looking for.

·
Administrator
8,718 Posts
Look in the forum classified for a used ECM. I've seen them go between 300-500.00. I think the GDE tune is about 800.00.

Your best bet is to buy an ECM that's already GDE tuned. GDE will program it to your truck for 200 bucks. They've been selling for less than 500.00 lately. This way you simply keep the one you already have.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts