RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I drove to town to look at Ram 2500 Cummins trucks today.

While we were there I went into the service bay to ask about getting these recalls done, especially the EGR cooler.

I ask the question, and get a question back (never good).

"Did you order it?" the dude asks.

"Huh?".....................WTF????

He then tells me it's a year away from getting a EGR cooler. They get one a month. Sounds like bullshit to me.

That pretty much deflated the air out of my ball for the day. No it doesn't leak, yet.

Weighing my options, not sure what to do but wait and see what kind of price they can give me on trade in. I can sell the tune for a few hundred, cash in the warranty, might get a grand that way, IDK.

I'll ponder the situation. For what I can get for my Eco via private sale, fixed, about $27,000 (BB), I might just buy a 3rd party EGR cooler, and fix it myself, the difference in price from a private sale to a trade it would cover it nicely, and still stuff 5 grand in my pocket.

I am open to suggestions. Effing PITFA....

How many of you guys are still running on the OEM EGR cooler without issue?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you plan to upgrade to a 2500 either way?
Yes indeed.

We have plans for extended snowbirding next winter, and a bigger RV trailer/5th wheel. The Ecodiesel is a fine rig, but it does have it's limits.

I'm a bit perturbed with this EGR deal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try a different dealer. After I bought my new to me 2016(knew it had the EGR recall) went to a local dealer. Asked about the recall and how long. They had one in stock and got it done within a week. Only takes a few hours to complete.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try a different dealer. After I bought my new to me 2016(knew it had the EGR recall) went to a local dealer. Asked about the recall and how long. They had one in stock and got it done within a week. Only takes a few hours to complete.
I think it's an Alaska thing, but your idea is a good one, I'll look into it. I'm not real keen on Wasilla Ram's shop. But for resale, yea, I'll look into that. You never know.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you are trading it either way, I wouldn't worry about the EGR one bit, just find the dealer that will give you most on trade.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are trading it either way, I wouldn't worry about the EGR one bit, just find the dealer that will give you most on trade.
I live in Alaska, not a lot of Ram dealers to dick with.

Trading in is lost money. To the tune of $5000 to $7000 in lost money going in there pocket, so yea, not into trading in. Unless they can come up with a halfway decent offer, idk.

But I'll hear them out sometime today and I'll have to wait and see. But I'm not in any hurry.

See, I'm hip to the dealers antics. I wanted to drop a bone on them and see if they want a taste. Ten will get you twenty in a a couple of weeks when those new trucks get in, and they'll want to be moving them on, they may eventually call me with a better offer. OR not, but you have to get the wheels greased and running if you want to go somewhere.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty sure, if this part is as cheap and available as it seems, I'm getting a load of bullshit. Gee, how unheard of is this, telling you "OH, we can't fix your truck, but will give you 2/3rds of what it's worth and sell you a new one....

Check out this site, seems like the new part number.

Anybody have any experience with this? FCA will reimburse you for having this done on your dime, the price is completely reasonable.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel, stock for now
13 Posts
It's not just an Alaska thing, some dealers are being restricted on how many they can order. I had to call 4 dealers to find one who could get an EGR and it's still a 2 week wait.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why, if yours isn't leaking?

My stock '16 EGR made it to 118k without leaking, then replaced under the recall. My dealer has them in stock.
Sigh..... IF, Alaska was cut in two, it would make Texas (no disrespect) the third largest state.

Alaska is effing huge. Hell a round a bout RV trip up to Fairbanks and Circle City and back will run you up over a thousand miles.

And I ask any of you, do you really want a truck that has a part that can fail anytime, not fixed??? hmmm? When you're out in the middle nowhere? It isn't like there is someplace to go when you're 50 miles out of town, or a hundred, or 300 and no cell coverage?

I didn't think so either.

So I want it fixed and the other two software recalls. But mostly, and I covered my reasons in the OP, I want to buy an very expensive 3/4 ton Cummins Ram, and they are not cheap. I'll need to buy an expensive extended warranty, and running boards, and seat covers, etc., etc.

I need, and I mean I NEED, to resell this Ecodiesel for top dollar. No trade in will ever get close to what this truck is worth via Kelly Blue Book. It is just simple economics.

And to command top dollar, you need to get a tub of elbow grease, some time and do a little work, and you'll get paid in spades and silver dollars. Trust me on this, I did this on my last truck, I spent $3,000 to get $18.5, instead of trading in with a dirty broke windshield dented door that needs the drive train serviced, I'd been lucky to get 10 grand on a trade in. Just to be able to say; "NO OUTSTANDING RECALLS" is a big selling point. Add the tune, a transferable 7 year/100,000 Max Care Warranty, easy sale. If you have no patience, disregard the above.

And lastly, I can feel good about passing on what is a very good running truck. Zero issues. None, nada, nothing. It is the way I roll.

I called up the local dealer this afternoon. The dude asked the same question the other dork today did;

"Have you ordered it?"

I replied;

"Every fucking time I call a dealer about this Goddamned fucking EGR cooler I get the same old stupid fucking shit of no parts and we don't know when!"

Oh....

He caught my shitty tone and took a different course. And unlike the first idiot I talked too today, he at least, AT LEAST, offered to put me on a list. How wonderful.

I asked how long, he said 3 or 4 months.

WELL HELLS BELLS, that is completely not unreasonable! And I bet if I go in there tomorrow and drop a bone, who knows???

Lol, I just love to **** with these dealer salesmen, I need some payback anyway......

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have been on the "waiting list" since November with a similar story here in Longview Wa.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife and I drove to town to look at Ram 2500 Cummins trucks today.

While we were there I went into the service bay to ask about getting these recalls done, especially the EGR cooler.

I ask the question, and get a question back (never good).

"Did you order it?" the dude asks.

"Huh?".....................WTF????

He then tells me it's a year away from getting a EGR cooler. They get one a month. Sounds like bullshit to me.

That pretty much deflated the air out of my ball for the day. No it doesn't leak, yet.

Weighing my options, not sure what to do but wait and see what kind of price they can give me on trade in. I can sell the tune for a few hundred, cash in the warranty, might get a grand that way, IDK.

I'll ponder the situation. For what I can get for my Eco via private sale, fixed, about $27,000 (BB), I might just buy a 3rd party EGR cooler, and fix it myself, the difference in price from a private sale to a trade it would cover it nicely, and still stuff 5 grand in my pocket.

I am open to suggestions. Effing PITFA....

How many of you guys are still running on the OEM EGR cooler without issue?
Thats strange. i went in to the Dealer in October to buy a new winter front and the checked my truck then for outstanding warranty and it came up. $ weeks later they called me to bring it in as they had the parts to complete everything. Im In Edmonton, AB Canada

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hi: Raftguy... I find that most Canucks want to live in SW Ont. cause there's no F in way they like the north!!!
I had to rant and threaten before they'd do my cooler. Trouble is someone didn't get theirs... I did.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I think it's an Alaska thing, but your idea is a good one, I'll look into it. I'm not real keen on Wasilla Ram's shop. But for resale, yea, I'll look into that. You never know.
I hear ya and completely understand. It's a different experience for everyone, i'm pretty sure myself and Anomaly were the record holders for the longest wait he beat me by one month to get the part. I had been waiting since May of last year finally got one 2 weeks ago.

It's difficult for others to get a sense of frustration of what you have to deal with when you stop using your truck to minimize probability etc, for me my area was the opposite there are ALOT of EcoD's and dealers but not enough parts there are waiting lists at all regional dealers.

You're taking the best approach which is word of mouth, if you can get word from someone within several hours drive make it happen, some dealers are captive not their fault FCA doesn't prioritize a fire hazard part and the good ones will give you an honest answer and not be snarky about it.

Good luck!

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The salesman called me back, they'll give me $22,000 for my truck in trade.

Seems a bit light, but not entirely unreasonable.

I can sell the GDE tune and turn in the extended warranty, lets call it a $1000 extra.

Yea I can see this happening.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The salesman called me back, they'll give me $22,000 for my truck in trade.

Seems a bit light, but not entirely unreasonable.

I can sell the GDE tune and turn in the extended warranty, lets call it a $1000 extra.

Yea I can see this happening.
Sounds like you're getting an itch, maybe put the numbers on paper and give them a hard look, and by that I mean you've already got a good ballpark figure but I mean a little side by side comparison current offer vs getting the part and selling the private route the money you save is the money you keep it could be quite rewarding. Best of luck either way (y)

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here are the details.

2021 Ram 2500 CC 6.7 L Cummins Anti-spin rear axle, 6 speed trans. There are many extra features not in my Ecodiesel Tradesman, ie, back up view screen, tow mirrors, ect.

This truck is in route, available in a couple of weeks.

Retail price is $54,905
Rebate -$1,000
Trade in -$22,000
Cash -$15,000
license +$265
Doc Fee +$220
Finance -$16,390 @2.9% 36 month loan

1 - 20 of 44 Posts