RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I am a new truck owner....and a new diesel owner...I have wanted a truck for 26 years and finally got a 2016 RAM 1500 ED Laramie

I have seen many threads that recommend deleting the EGR...for performance...improved mileage etc...I do not have teh skills to do an EGR delete and was wondering if getting a tune that modifies my EGR unit would be a decent step until I can hire someone to do a delete?

Also I live in a state where I will still need to pass emissions...once a year at registration at least...If I delete the EGR...am I going to be able to register my truck? Anyway thank you in advance for any help or suggestions...I am learning stuff as fast as I can but its like drinking from a fire hose!

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Welcome. I have a '16 Laramie as well.

Many Stage 1 tunes will turn off the EGR. A good tune will also reduce pre-combustion injection cycles to reduce soot production for engine longevity.

With a Stage 1 tune you can leave the EGR in place and simply flash the ECM back to the stock tune for emissions testing. It's optional to remove the EGR diffuser tube (between EGR and intake manifold) and replace with 2 block-off plates. It's insurance against anything leaking from the EGR into the intake manifold. Easy to reverse for emissions testing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This sounds like exactly what I am looking for. I see in your signature you have a couple of tunes...is there a stage one Tune that is preferred for the none mechanic type?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Where you live makes a difference. Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) has a 49 state complient tune that works through the OBD port. They're also one of the forum sponsers and farily active on the site. I don't currently have a tune on my 17 but am leaning towards the GDE tune.

Sofa King also has a tune that works through the OBD port. There are still a few in Canada that offer a full stage 2 with deletes but may not be able to ship into the US.

Do a search and read the pluses and minuses of each.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where you live makes a difference. Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) has a 49 state complient tune that works through the OBD port. They're also one of the forum sponsers and farily active on the site. I don't currently have a tune on my 17 but am leaning towards the GDE tune.

Sofa King also has a tune that works through the OBD port. There are still a few in Canada that offer a full stage 2 with deletes but may not be able to ship into the US.

Do a search and read the pluses and minuses of each.
Thanks and I am currently researching as I type this up. :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got the new emissions compliant GDE tune and I love it on my ‘16 Laramie longhorn. I didn’t need to do an emissions test this year but I am curious how it will do. My local mechanic is a friend and knows I tuned my truck. Next spring I will see if it passes emissions as is and if not flash it back to stock. My only hesitation with the GDE tune is it would be better for my truck to do a full stage one delete for the longevity of the engine, but at the same time I like that it is compliant with emissions standards. I teach environmental science for a living, I am hyper aware of my daily green house has emissions...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Love my gde tune!! I suspect that sooner or later big brother will be going after deleted vehicles. I may be paranoid but I much prefer to be compliant.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I too have a 2016 Eco. I have the SFT (Sofaking) tunes and have been very satisfied. SFT tunes will do all that you are asking about.

Reactions: asayc754

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Good thread for maintaining ED & links to tunes etc.

Reactions: Go4Mac and asayc754

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the new emissions compliant GDE tune and I love it on my ‘16 Laramie longhorn. I didn’t need to do an emissions test this year but I am curious how it will do. My local mechanic is a friend and knows I tuned my truck. Next spring I will see if it passes emissions as is and if not flash it back to stock. My only hesitation with the GDE tune is it would be better for my truck to do a full stage one delete for the longevity of the engine, but at the same time I like that it is compliant with emissions standards. I teach environmental science for a living, I am hyper aware of my daily green house has emissions...
That is great! I teach Math and Computer science! In my 25th year of teaching.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts