RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So it finally happened... I've had EGR issues since the AEM update. Gradually decreasing coolant levels, occasional white smoke that would clear out once the truck hit operating temp, and one experience going down the highway where it tried to catch fire and melted the intake and throttle area. FCA replaced the intake/throttle under the AEM warranty, but couldn't get an EGR in so they advised I "just drive it and see what happens" (We may have discussed letting it just burn next time).

Last week I went to start the truck and it wouldn't turn over (hydrolocked from leaking coolant maybe?). I waited 5 mins and tried again. After a HARD long cranking start the thing fired up and started spewing white smoke so bad it hid the truck. I drove it up to the dealer so they could see it while the problem was happening. They advised me that I shouldn't drive the truck but that I had been on the EGR "short" list for a month and they hadn't heard anything. (So what now?) I mentioned just deleting the EGR, they gave me some contact info for people who may have a line on tuning etc, and advised that I just do the delete and tune. So I drove the truck home hoping for a catastrophic fire and parked it with no such luck. Yesterday I went out and got a different car for the time being.

So I guess I just have a couple questions. I'm not really looking to cough up $1500 right now to do a complete delete and tune, but should be able to in a couple months.
1. Should I wait the x months and let FCA replace the EGR and anything melted, fried, or lightly toasted, then do a complete delete/tune? I wouldn't use the truck throughout this period at all. This would bring the total drivable: owned months ratio of the truck to 56:60 complete calendar months assuming 2 months downtime. (That's almost 7% of the time I've owned the truck that I couldn't drive it due to issues. Not necessarily important, but I'm a numbers guy).
2. Can I just do the EGR removal/block off plates and drive the thing in emergencies (>5" snow etc) with codes or will it mess something else up worse? Do I absolutely HAVE to get it tuned after removing the EGR?
3. If I do have to let the truck sit for 2-3 months completely, do I need to do anything as far as fuel etc to put the thing in "storage"?
4. Should I remove anything important from the truck and just take it for a nice loooong drive?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
A member installed the stage 2 EGR delete kit without the tune while he waited for the tune to arrive ,
and used his truck for a few days , he reported he got codes thrown but truck ran , just no remote start
while the active code was present .
----
in this thread : first 16 posts will tell you what you want to know ....

hmmmm , afer re-reading this stuff , jlarbey had an old version of GDE tune , not yet compatible with
stage2 delete , but compatible with stage1 EGR delete , he got codes , but no limp mode , so , I'm not sure
what it will do with the stock tune , I'd try it for sure .

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The options are completely up to you and your financial position. Me I would tune it and remove the egr completely. Any other option would probably end up costing more in the long run. One other option would be to install a new egr cooler from bulletproof diesel and then send fca the bill for reimbursement but they probably wont do anything about it.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
What a shitty dealer. Most owners with EGR failures are in free rentals from the dealer until their trucks are fixed. I'd find a different dealer.

No competent dealer should have sent you driving knowing the EGR was that bad.

·
Super Moderator
3,138 Posts
Times 2. I would do a basic tune and a full EGR cooler delete to fix it permanently and be done with it then enjoy the truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a shitty dealer. Most owners with EGR failures are in free rentals from the dealer until their trucks are fixed. I'd find a different dealer.

No competent dealer should have sent you driving knowing the EGR was that bad.
The sad thing is they've been the best dealer in the area. I've been to every dealer within a 45 mile radius and just had a really crappy time with all of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The sad thing is they've been the best dealer in the area. I've been to every dealer within a 45 mile radius and just had a really crappy time with all of them.
I totally agree with Bounty Hunter. I would head back to the dealer and demand to be put into a rental. I had a bad "water pump", drove it around for 6 weeks until the parts came in, spending over $200 in coolant. Took the truck in for repair and was told the EGR cooler was cracked. I was in a rental/loaner for 35 days until it was fixed, all free of charge. Just as I was getting ready to request a buyback I got the call my truck had a "new" EGR cooler. It's only a matter of time until it cracks again and I'm just wondering if I'm still eligible for the buyback even though i'm back in my truck? At any rate, it is probably better to have your truck sitting at the dealer waiting for repairs than driving it around, unless you're excited to use the new marshmallow toasting feature.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
...., drove it around for 6 weeks until the parts came in, spending over $200 in coolant. .......
all that coolant down the exhaust , accumulating on the surface of the DOC in the DPF canister ,,,,
Iwonder how often your truck regenerates , did you notice shorter intervals between regens ??

·
Registered
18 Posts
all that coolant down the exhaust , accumulating on the surface of the DOC in the DPF canister ,,,,
Iwonder how often your truck regenerates , did you notice shorter intervals between regens ??
Hey, no not so much. As I mentioned, I did also have a leaking water pump. Didn't try too hard to decipher how much was lost through the failed EGR cooler vice the water pump. But they also did have to replace a fouled glow plug.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The options are completely up to you and your financial position. Me I would tune it and remove the egr completely. Any other option would probably end up costing more in the long run. One other option would be to install a new egr cooler from bulletproof diesel and then send fca the bill for reimbursement but they probably wont do anything about it.
Already asked FCA about after market EGR coolers. They said no. It's has to be their part to honor the warranty. Asked what if my truck burns to the ground before the recall parts are available. Contact your insurance company. Unbelievably crap customer service. Love my truck but hate FCA.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the advice. I think I'm going to plan on letting the truck sit until I get everything tied up. Will post again if I hear anything new.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
April 9th 2020 is the projected date for the new EGRs to hit the dealers for them to
replace them all for free under the VB1 recall . I guess you'll be parked till mid-April ......
Captain found that site that lists FCA products recall info , it is updated regularly , and Captain posted this :
look at the VB1 line , that's our trucks .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts