RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my 2016 Outdoorsman threw a CEL. So I took it to the dealer this morning and dropped it off. Initially, they said that a fuel injector showed a historic code for lack of fuel so they said they needed to dig further. Later today the service manager called and said they found that the EGR valve was bad and needed replacement. No problem.... but he advised that while the EGR cooler was fine (no dreaded leak) he felt that since it was gonna be apart anyway the EGR cooler should be replaced. Fine.... except one is not readily available. He will talk to his parts manager Monday but he suspects that my truck won’t be repaired until Christmas or even after the new year. His logic for wanting to go ahead with the cooler replacement is the volume of failures he has seen.
They have given me a rental (F-150) on their dollar until mine is repaired. They only problem is no tow hitch which I sort of need.
Wouldn’t mine some input from the forum. Should I push them to just replace the valve or wait for an EGR cooler to be available.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Last night my 2016 Outdoorsman threw a CEL. So I took it to the dealer this morning and dropped it off. Initially, they said that a fuel injector showed a historic code for lack of fuel so they said they needed to dig further. Later today the service manager called and said they found that the EGR valve was bad and needed replacement. No problem.... but he advised that while the EGR cooler was fine (no dreaded leak) he felt that since it was gonna be apart anyway the EGR cooler should be replaced. Fine.... except one is not readily available. He will talk to his parts manager Monday but he suspects that my truck won’t be repaired until Christmas or even after the new year. His logic for wanting to go ahead with the cooler replacement is the volume of failures he has seen.
They have given me a rental (F-150) on their dollar until mine is repaired. They only problem is no tow hitch which I sort of need.
Wouldn’t mine some input from the forum. Should I push them to just replace the valve or wait for an EGR cooler to be available.
Issue with cooler known for months now, believe the last I heard the new one not til february

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
Push them for a truck with a hitch. Then,who cares how long it takes. Rack up miles on their truck :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
There is no redesigned cooler yet so what the dealer is talking about I assume is the old one that is prone to failure, if they use that you'll be getting it replaced twice.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep.... so the dealer is talking about a new EGR that is the old design. I’ll still have to get the new one when it becomes available. According to my service manager, that will probably be April.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yep.... so the dealer is talking about a new EGR that is the old design. I’ll still have to get the new one when it becomes available. According to my service manager, that will probably be April.
More than likely they wont put the old design on it. I've heard of a buyback but they were forcing another FCA vehicle being bought. To be honest, them paying for a vehicle for you is better than I think my dealer will do so I havent gone across the street to ask them lol

·
Registered
354 Posts
More than likely they wont put the old design on it. I've heard of a buyback but they were forcing another FCA vehicle being bought. To be honest, them paying for a vehicle for you is better than I think my dealer will do so I havent gone across the street to ask them lol

They are pushing the old cooler out to complete repairs, because there are too many failures to wait on the redesigned part. As it is, my truck has been waiting at the dealership for EGR cooler parts since November 5th.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s what I’m expecting in this case but I don’t have too much heartburn over it since they are footing the bill for a rental. My only real grief is that my truck will be sitting outside for the foreseeable future. I have a work vehicle that I commute with and so she spends most of her time in the garage.

·
Registered
746 Posts
That’s what I’m expecting in this case but I don’t have too much heartburn over it since they are footing the bill for a rental. My only real grief is that my truck will be sitting outside for the foreseeable future. I have a work vehicle that I commute with and so she spends most of her time in the garage.
Yeah I dont want mine sitting in the dealer parking lot. I now literally live across the street from the dealer we bought it from.

·
Registered
41 Posts
FCA told me to have dealer get new old part and install covered out of pocket then get reimbursed. Replace again when fix comes out. Trouble is that there are no oem coolers available for interim fix. Bought used and dealer doesn’t seem interested in finding a solution - just says it’s drivable - and I told them I wasn’t going to drove it and put coolant into the engine. I am going to contact FCA again and see if they will reimburse for bulletproof diesel EGR cooler replacement.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Dieselputer....
Interesting. My dealer only found that my EGR valve was faulty and not the EGR cooler itself. But they don’t want my truck driven until the EGR cooler is replaced. In fact they ponied up for a rental before I even had a chance to ask about one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s an option I’ve considered. Even test drove a couple trucks. Ultimately since mine is paid for and under warranty I’m gonna stick with it. I’m actually hoping to keep mine until 2026.
couldn’t sell or trade it right now anyway with it sitting half apart at a dealership.

·
Registered
963 Posts
FCA told me to have dealer get new old part and install covered out of pocket then get reimbursed. Replace again when fix comes out. Trouble is that there are no oem coolers available for interim fix. Bought used and dealer doesn’t seem interested in finding a solution - just says it’s drivable - and I told them I wasn’t going to drove it and put coolant into the engine. I am going to contact FCA again and see if they will reimburse for bulletproof diesel EGR cooler replacement.

No way I would pay out of pocket for a recalled repair to then fight for reimbursement. Tell them to screw off. They will not pay for a non-mopar part so dont waste your breath asking for the Bulletproof part.

·
Registered
807 Posts
No way I would pay out of pocket for a recalled repair to then fight for reimbursement. Tell them to screw off. They will not pay for a non-mopar part so dont waste your breath asking for the Bulletproof part.
Their policy is to find you the old part and put you back on the road again until there is a real solution. That came from FCA. Lol. That is a major liability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m sure I’ll end up With the old design (eventually) and then get the new design when it becomes available. Given that I hope to keep this truck on the road for a decade or so a new EGR cooler from bulletproof diesel is definitely an option down the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My RAM 1500 EGR started a smoke / fire 2 weeks ago. RAM said no parts available until AT LEAST January 25 2020. RIDICULOUS. Sounds like they don't have a solution so my garage kept vehicle sits behind dealership for a few months. Any storm damage or vandalism is on me. RAM takes no responsibility. TWo weeks alter, still waitng.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My RAM 1500 EGR started a smoke / fire 2 weeks ago. RAM said no parts available until AT LEAST January 25 2020. RIDICULOUS. Sounds like they don't have a solution so my garage kept vehicle sits behind dealership for a few months. Any storm damage or vandalism is on me. RAM takes no responsibility. TWo weeks alter, still waitng.
The dealership has insurance. If it is damaged, they are responsible.

·
Registered
298 Posts
kentuckydoug, where are you located? I’m in Louisville. Curious as to which dealer you are dealing with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 151 Posts