RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah, I was referring to you/your truck not him/his.
Oh, ha ha. I did start the buyback process. I am waiting on FCA at this point. Once they give me an offer, I will see what negotiating they are willing to do and go from there. If they aren't willing to give me a reasonable offer, I will be hiring a lawyer.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'll keep posting about it. I am not holding my breath, but FCA has been much more communicative than Toyota or Honda has been to me. It could just be a stall tactic as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I'll keep posting about it. I am not holding my breath, but FCA has been much more communicative than Toyota or Honda has been to me. It could just be a stall tactic as well.
Well.... a colleague of mine recently went through a buyback with Toyota. He wasn’t very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Toyota refused to respond to me or the dealership, and voided my warranty once I lawyered up. I have a broken third row seat and other issues they refuse to fix.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Toyota refused to respond to me or the dealership, and voided my warranty once I lawyered up. I have a broken third row seat and other issues they refuse to fix.
I don’t know the all details about his circumstance. I do know that he bought a new Tundra that had a wealth of electronic gremlins that Toyota admitted they couldn’t fix. He wanted a flat buyback. Toyota refused. What they did do was swap his truck for a new identical truck. No change in financing. They called it a collateral swap.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don’t know the all details about his circumstance. I do know that he bought a new Tundra that had a wealth of electronic gremlins that Toyota admitted they couldn’t fix. He wanted a flat buyback. Toyota refused. What they did do was swap his truck for a new identical truck. No change in financing. They called it a collateral swap.
Most manufacturers try to do that, including FCA. Legally though, he was entitled to a repurchase.

·
Registered
354 Posts
North Carolina's lemon law is 20 business days, 4+ visits for the same issue or a serious safety issue. This is all within 2 years or 24000 miles, whichever occurs first.
NC reimburses for the full contract amount, plus any registration fees and legal fees. They do not reimburse for aftermarket accessories. The mileage deduction is taken from you THIRD visit for repairs, not the first like most states.
In your case Doug, I believe yours is a part of the AEM. In that case you would have to go to the AEM, which is 18 months, 18000 miles and 30 days out of service for related parts. It calls for buyback, and if FCA doesn't want to negotiate, talking to the AEM lawyers would be the best bet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
North Carolina's lemon law is 20 business days, 4+ visits for the same issue or a serious safety issue. This is all within 2 years or 24000 miles, whichever occurs first.
NC reimburses for the full contract amount, plus any registration fees and legal fees. They do not reimburse for aftermarket accessories. The mileage deduction is taken from you THIRD visit for repairs, not the first like most states.
In your case Doug, I believe yours is a part of the AEM. In that case you would have to go to the AEM, which is 18 months, 18000 miles and 30 days out of service for related parts. It calls for buyback, and if FCA doesn't want to negotiate, talking to the AEM lawyers would be the best bet.
Yeah I briefly skimmed through NC lemon laws this morning. The two years/24,000 part eliminates me from that. If I (and I likely will) seek a buyback it will be based on the AEM.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Update:
My service advisor called this morning. All the remaining parts needed to replace my EGR cooler have been shipped. They should be here by Monday. Monday is day 31 of my truck being out of service.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Well....
later today my service adviser called and said the parts they expected on Monday arrived today and the tech completed the EGR replacement. He said that they hadn’t completed testing but would have that have that done tomorrow. That puts my truck having been out of service for a total of 28 days if tomorrow counts. So unless something changes I will not be eligible for a buyback under the AEM.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well....
later today my service adviser called and said the parts they expected on Monday arrived today and the tech completed the EGR replacement. He said that they hadn’t completed testing but would have that have that done tomorrow. That puts my truck having been out of service for a total of 28 days if tomorrow counts. So unless something changes I will not be eligible for a buyback under the AEM.
So close. When it goes in for the recall, that may very well net you two more days...

I am still waiting. The dealership said (on Monday) that the truck should be ready Friday. That would be day 74.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
So close. When it goes in for the recall, that may very well net you two more days...

I am still waiting. The dealership said (on Monday) that the truck should be ready Friday. That would be day 74.
Strange that my dealer found the parts in less than 30 days and you’ve been waiting 74. Not trying to promote any conspiracy theory but that is odd.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Final post on this.... I hope.
I picked my truck up this afternoon. So far all appears to well.After I finished with the Service advisor, I snuck around and spoke to the tech that did the work. He cleared a few things up for me. I asked him what the manifold looked like and he said it was cleaner than most he has seen on these trucks. I asked him how that was possible with an EGR leak? He said that my EGR was not actually leaking coolant, I only had a valve ( exhaust? )that had failed and no coolant made it into my motor. As he explained it, due to the recall, FCA prescribed replacement of the whole EGR unit and the service writer didn’t understand that when he told me the diagnosis.
On a personal note, bringing my truck home today I realized how much I really like it. And though I considered during this fiasco getting rid of it, driving it sort of felt like coming home. So for now I’m gonna stock with it.

101 - 120 of 151 Posts