RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,

I did a quick search but couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.

I had the Hot Tune installed post-AEM, Pre-EPA shutdown of GDE, along with their transmission tune(Should've kept my stock ECU so I could do recalls.. d'oh!:cry:) .

I've noticed my coolant level drop below the line after about ~3mo from a top off. I cleaned my EGR tube and It. Was. FILTHY. gummed up with soot and coolant.

Unless I am mistaken, I thought the GDE tune prevented coolant from flowing through the cooler, therefore not allowing it to leak down the intake!?! I've also noticed my MPGs drop since it was installed - mI'm down to 22-23mpg hwy whereas I was up to 26-27 right after the install, before I noticed the coolant stuff going on.

anyone have a good course of action i cant take to mitigate this? I saw GDE is back up but they're hamstrung by EPA requirements, so I can't do the full delete like I want to. at this point I couldn't care less about the FCA warranty, I just want the truck to run at it's full potential.

Oh I should also add, I'm active duty military and unfortunately got stationed in Commie-Fornia so I can't order any delete parts....:mad:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
option 1 , - keep your GDE tuned ECM , buy a used stock ECM , and program your Vin and injector codes
to that stock tuned ECM using Alfa OBD app .
few threads to read :
references :
Official Alfaobd thread
-----
and programming threads :
Programming new ECM to ED with AlphaOBD
another thread :

AlfaOBD
===================================
for your diffuser tube , the Gde tune prevents exhast from going from EGR to intake manifold ,
exhaust still flows thru the EGR , and coolant still flows thru the EGR ,
with heat fatigue you develop cracks and 2 sections get united ......that's what you got .
the recall takes care of all 2014 to 2019 EGRs , beefier unit , get it done by dealer ,
MAKING SURE THEY DON'T FLASH YOUR GDE TUNE AWAY , impossible for you to replace in USA .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
option 1 , - keep your GDE tuned ECM , buy a used stock ECM , and program your Vin and injector codes
to that stock tuned ECM using Alfa OBD app .
few threads to read :
references :
Official Alfaobd thread
-----
and programming threads :
another thread :

AlfaOBD
===================================
for your diffuser tube , the Gde tune prevents exhast from going from EGR to intake manifold ,
exhaust still flows thru the EGR , and coolant still flows thru the EGR ,
with heat fatigue you develop cracks and 2 sections get united ......that's what you got .
the recall takes care of all 2014 to 2019 EGRs , beefier unit , get it done by dealer ,
MAKING SURE THEY DON'T FLASH YOUR GDE TUNE AWAY , impossible for you to replace in USA .
I want to do the recall but I assume Cali emissions nazi's will screw me over hard..... i don't think the dealer down the road is willing to play ball with not touching my ECU. if i take it in i also want them to remove the intake as well and clean it all out - i noticed a ton of gunk down in there last time i cleaned the EGR tube....

I'm considering a longer route of a full delete. HD Diesel supply in Canada, shipped to my brother out in Wyo, repackaged then shipped to me in Cali might do the trick? :unsure:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
they will not clean the intake manifold ,
only when some specific codes are present , then
there ia a section in the EGR recall procedure , where they look for a melted hole in the intake manifold
and only if there is a hole will they put a brand new intake on .
messing with that abrasive soot deposit is not a good idea , if some of it migrates in the cylinders , it
will be more trouble than good .
someone asked GDE about that a long tgime ago
""
cleaning SOOT inside the intake ..don't do it.
--------------------------------------------------
answer to dingdangit :
"" I asked GDE about cleaning intake after tuning at 45000 miles
They said to get any benefit, would need to tear down the motor,
not just remove/clean the intake.
Also no additives other than anti-jell.

"" Chemical cleaning of the intake runs the soot into the combustion chamber
and then a bigger problem than before.""

GDE are experts , so I'll take their advice.

in there , post # 47 :
Intake Cleaning???

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
soot in Intake molds itself in a patern that lets air flow ,
when the soot deposit prevents the swirl valves from moving , it
puts stress on the little plastic prongs that operate the swirl valves , then prongs break and you get a code .
images of an intake 2 sections taken apart , little plastic motor moving swirl valves ...
images of misaligned swirl valves after failure ( the mess that convinced me to get my tune ..)
swirl valve with pre EPA crackdown tune always open , they are there just to move hot EGR air in different
places not to heat sink the same spot all the time , when EGR gases are out of the equation , no need
for swirl valves anymore .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting point regarding the intake. I can't help but think its restricting airflow in there with all the soot?
I think I'm gonna look into the used ECU option and program it before taking it in. So ridiculous. Stupid EPA ruining diesel engines

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not just delete the EGR? Never mind, I just read your location.
Yeahh... in cali against my will (thanks Marine corps). HD diesel supply ships everywhere in the us except commiefornia... might have to devise a robust shipping plan, egr delete is cheaper than a used ecu....

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Many kits to choose from : here are 5 links to stage 2 EGR delete kits
again , shipping plan needed ....

EGR Delete Kit (Stage 2 kit)

Flo-Pro EGR & Cooler Delete Kit - Dodge EcoDiesel

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outlaw-Diesel-EGR-Cooler-Delete-Kit-for-2014-2017-Dodge-Ram-1500-3-0L-EcoDiesel-/202223478717

----
step by step , ;

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeahh... in cali against my will (thanks Marine corps). HD diesel supply ships everywhere in the us except commiefornia... might have to devise a robust shipping plan, egr delete is cheaper than a used ecu....
Shouldn’t have to retune to delete the EGR, depending on what version hot tune you have now.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I never pinpointed the date , but around June 2016 , the GDE hot tune became compatible with EGR stage 2 delete ,
before that it was only compatible with EGR stage 1 delete ,
got that from posts by jlarbey in this thread : starts at post # 13 : ( "" 2 year old tune on Jan 2018 "" ) .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Since you are in the Corps I’m presuming your vehicle isn’t registered in the People Republic. If that’s truly the case, you don’t have to do the Cali emissions test, right? I’d definitely go the used ECU route, change out and then reinstall my GDE and live happily ever after.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts