RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Just tried that brake a couple days ago. Found a downhill ramp and gave it one press. Truck slowed down and kept on slowing. Not dramatic.

Later on the other side of that downhill I did a "double press". That is supposed to just keep the same speed and not speed up but also not slow down. Nothing really happened as the downgrade was not all that long. Oh well. Next time I run down a mountain in Florida I will test again.
Mountains?

Oh yeah, there's some that I have seen on the beaches there :p

·
Registered
299 Posts
Its also rpm based. Its very weak when you are cruising in 6th and coast. On the highway put it on full, keep your speed up and lock out 5th and 6th, get the rpm up and then let off.

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Capt... No need for mountains to learn how to properly operate your Exhaust Brake next time out put your truck in TowHaul ,Exhaust Brake full come back and report your findings, be ready to feather in between the throttle and slightly touching brake pedal ...

I believe it’s much safer to learn Exhaust Braking Before Going to mountains,especially if you hit ice on a down grade...
Closest to ice I get is around the fish I catch or in my gin and tonic. Doubt this truck will ever get into tow haul mode, even with the toy hauler attached. 6-7k lbs. is far less than the rated 19,200 lb tow rating this truck has. With all this power I doubt it will need any gearing help.

Did try that again today. It slowed me down for a turn but not all that much. Will try it and see if there is a difference slowing dow in or out of the tow-haul mode something. It's on my mind.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I guess another mention, I had tested some 68RFE trucks and found the EB and shifting much more tow oriented with the AS69RC. The 69 holds gears longer, downshifts quicker and appears more aggressive with the EB application.

My wife had towed our 5 horse (10K weight on the low end) and ripped it through the Rockies. In some cases, she found the EB a little too aggressive on some downhill passes.

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I guess another mention, I had tested some 68RFE trucks and found the EB and shifting much more tow oriented with the AS69RC. The 69 holds gears longer, downshifts quicker and appears more aggressive with the EB application.

My wife had towed our 5 horse (10K weight on the low end) and ripped it through the Rockies. In some cases, she found the EB a little too aggressive on some downhill passes.
Guessing that AS69RC is the Asian transmission available only in some 3500's. If that is the case, Haul N Grass HAS that transmission in his 3500. Just might be why he finds his EB pretty aggressive. Now I have little to no experience with mine as I have yet to tow and if I did, Florida is flat and worthless for testing something like that. Probably will not learn until next May when I hope to tow out West. If not, the Carolina mountains in the Summer is probably another opportunity. By that time I will have a few thousand miles on mine and be more used to the operation.

Best test I could do is to ride over to Haul N's place across the state and get him to do some testing of mine. might be a good winter activity after hunting season.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes, the 69 is the Aisin. Don't discount the EB on the flat terrain. Saskatchewan is pretty flat, except for some steep inclines into river valleys. We use our EB so much that the only times we use the service brakes are when we creep up to stop signs and traffic lights. Although I find the combination of the Cummins and hydroboost, the truck plows a bit when stopping. Not as responsive on light duty driving as one of our gasser trucks. Not to say they are weak, they can stop that truck and trailer in a hurry when needed.

Also on the topic of brakes, because somehow its related to your original post...… I recall on cumminsforum, the hot shotters were getting a few hundred thousand miles out of the factory brake linings. This put me onto the notion that I will tear the calipers and rotors off (next year) to put some antiseize on the bolts and lube the slide pins.

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well I tried it today with tow haul mode on. Nothing special. Tried again doing about the same slow down to turn with tow haul off. Nothing.

Now granted my "nothing" is not nothing. There is a slow down with the exhaust brake on. You feel, see and hear it dragging down. It's just that there is not much happening. Even trying the automatic setting, which is two presses on the switch, not a noticeable change. Guessing that the 68RFE transmission and the 2500 are pretty different than the Asian in some 3500's. It will take the toy hauler attached and some steep mountain downhills to really know. Thanks for all the ideas.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Capt... Most likely different programming , Your truck is probably more refined...Next time your out on a country road no one else around, put it in Tow/ Haul exhaust brake full on and get into 6th gear about 65mph and apply your foot brake never touching accelerator again, This scenario will start my truck downshifting with exhaust brake full ,it’ll downshift to 3rd gear extremely hard and quick, This situation is most likely what BrianF was mentioning about his wife and her driving experience in the Rockies, BTW no need for mountains with my truck, Flat Florida Highways it’ll stop extremely quick , first time this happened to me was an Eye Opening Experience,apparently like BrianF’s wife ...

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Capt... I asked my brother to test his exhaust brake, His truck is a 2018 3500 68rfe , He said his exhaust brake started the aggressive downshifting , NOT in tow haul and slightly pressing brake pedal and his truck did the aggressive programmed down shifting and exhaust braking and his exhaust brake stays engaged until 1100 Rpms when his torque converter unlocks, Mine disengage’s at 1400 Rpms... Different years and transmissions = Different programming... Curious what the Rpms are with your truck when exhaust brake disengage’s ... Again while testing 60 mph or faster...

Difference in Exhaust Braking operations might be 3500’s ?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Capt..... Here’s a comparison between your oil at 800 miles... 1C658716-EB23-4C14-872F-93DDED71073D.png

My Oil after Changing with about 20 miles on it . 6FB5166C-5432-41C6-9714-E6ED5323FE2F.jpeg

Now I checked my oil when I left the dealership,it was clean looking!!! This comparison is basically entertainment value only, My truck is basically like old school Diesels , the oil turns black immediately ...And most likely old oil residuals mixing with new oil on the ride home .. BTW my truck has 42k for mileage...

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Capt..... Here’s a comparison between your oil at 800 miles... View attachment 83090

My Oil after Changing with about 20 miles on it . View attachment 83092

Now I checked my oil when I left the dealership,it was clean looking!!! This comparison is basically entertainment value only, My truck is basically like old school Diesels , the oil turns black immediately ...And most likely old oil residuals mixing with new oil on the ride home .. BTW my truck has 42k for mileage...
Two topics. Been reading about the new exhaust brake applications in the 2500. First it does not work in first gear when going slowly. I noted the deceleration but as you slow, it seems to just coast on. My conclusion is the testing I did is flawed without a tow load and a decent hill. According to others the programming is different and really different with the 48RE transmission.

Checked my oil last night. over 900 miles and still looks the same. Tomorrow morning we do a light tow to Georgia. Be gone for maybe 10 days. Will more than double the mileage on the truck during that time and it's the first run on an interstate that will be about 800 miles total. Ther rest of the mileage will be rural roads and two-track mud. It's time to hunt. Also riding motorcycle if the weather is good for us to have fun. Can't hunt all day.

Third topic is the current TPM's. Seems they have warning thresholds in the 60 psi range. That can be changed but stock, that what they have. Noticed that the 80# pressure in the tires is not allowing the edges to even touch the road. I just dropped them all to 70 psi to see. Short run today and no TPM warnings for too low. Gonna try there. Also heard that if you get a low warning to re-set, you have to pump things back up to 80 psi. Then wait a bit and lower to what does not trigger a warning. Crazy. That can and probably will get tuned out in the future.

You have good mileage on yours. Hope it just stays keeping you happy. Mine, if it runs decent, will probably have some changes made sometime next year. Even the oil in my old diesel tractor in Georgia stays cleaner than yours after a few years of operation. I would have a bit of a time dealing with oil looking like that. The EGR operation has got to go, either physically or electronically. That is my first priority.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I know you wanna get rid up fathers EGR really badly, but for your duty cycle and knowledge of the emissions systems, I think you’ll be just fine with everything intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Truck at work. Look closely at front of quad on trailer. Muzzleloader this morning. Did not use exhaust brake to stop her.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I know you wanna get rid up fathers EGR really badly, but for your duty cycle and knowledge of the emissions systems, I think you’ll be just fine with everything intact.

Darn ol autocorrect, get rid of your*

21 - 35 of 35 Posts