RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my EGR was replaced and now I smell diesel exhaust in the cab. Remote started it this morning and definitely a problem.

Chatted with the dealer and they set an appointment for Monday, but does anyone know of any good diagrams of the exhaust routing? I know how this goes so I would prefer to find it myself before I bring it in to minimize the possibility of multiple visits.

Parts list lists a new EGR Tube so I would assume they replaced the tube that brings the exhaust to the EGR cooler. Sucks because it is new, I doubt there would be any soot to show me the way.

Cheers,

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, thinking of this... They replaced the Reluctor Ring as well so I would assume they would need to remove exhaust pieces do so?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hi: MacRAM... I'd be really reluctant to say it, but there has to be a leak somewhere. Is the smell better or worse with the heater/fan on or off?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far some in cab only when HVAC is on. Smells the worst standing outside the driver's door, so that is my first clue. Will drag it in the garage tonight. Hoping it is obvious because the smell gives me a headache.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Maybe they did not take good precautions in handling the Turbo up pipe ,
it starts behind engine , where exhaust manifold is near turbo , and carries
exhaust up to EGR , flexible pipe , but if the tech is rough , removing bolts
at the top , and moving it aside to switch EGRs , he will crack it ,
and you will get exhaust leak , tuff tuff sound if you listen , slide a piece of
garden hose , 3 to 4 feet long , around the region and the other end to your ear ,
you may hear the exhaust leak , tuff tuff sound .
your HVAC gets its air from right there under hood at top of firewall location .
some images of cracked turbo up pipe...

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I am hoping for something obvious.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My EGR was replaced at 25k miles. The issues with these trucks had me concerned, and from what I understand there is an open recall for the EGR that has no permanent solution?

Anyway... sold my truck and got back in a car. I'll need another if I get myself another boat, but it won't be an ecodiesel.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Maybe they did not take good precautions in handling the Turbo up pipe ,
it starts behind engine , where exhaust manifold is near turbo , and carries
exhaust up to EGR , flexible pipe , but if the tech is rough , removing bolts
at the top , and moving it aside to switch EGRs , he will crack it ,
and you will get exhaust leak , tuff tuff sound if you listen , slide a piece of
garden hose , 3 to 4 feet long , around the region and the other end to your ear ,
you may hear the exhaust leak , tuff tuff sound .
your HVAC gets its air from right there under hood at top of firewall location .
some images of cracked turbo up pipe...
Kazimodo Mike for President!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well. I can't find it so I don't have high hopes they will find it.

The metal hoses to and from the egr cooler look ok. Man, what a bitch that one in the rear is to inspect.

The only possibility right now is the large clamp on the doc/dpf. Maybe the seal in that. It is definitely coming from the passenger side under the hood. No smell under it.

Unless the tech is a magician, I don't have a lot of hope. I will just have to wait for the soot to light the way I guess.

It goes in on Monday so I guess we will see.

·
Registered
443 Posts
As you pointed out, getting at the connection where the EGR is connected to the turbo up-pipe is very difficult. It's possible the connection or gasket was compromised there.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Do they still do smoke tests to locate an exhaust leak?

I would guess the flex joint near the turbo.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Is there a possibility that it is just the new EGR off gassing because it's heating up for the first time. Perhaps after a few drives it will be fine?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a possibility that it is just the new EGR off gassing because it's heating up for the first time. Perhaps after a few drives it will be fine?
I can smell that too but it is clearly diesel exhaust as well as that. When you remote start the truck and open the door it is clearly exhaust.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am afraid to put anything into my probably soot caked, coolant soaked intake.

I suspect if I did it would be lights out for the engine.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dealer visit. They tell me the clamp to the dfp was not tight. Tightened it, seems to have stopped the smell. Will see tomorrow when I start it cold.

My dealer so far has had a really good track record.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine has had a really strong exhaust smell too in the cab. Just started a few weeks ago. Guess I need to call the dealer. It's a sickening smell and I can't be without my truck for long. I usually end up opening the windows for a while. It eventually stops. Does seem to be worse with auto start and cold days.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Mine had horrible fumes in the cab prior to the reluctor going. But,it had fumes sporadically for years. It was noisy as well. Never did find out what it was. We would have to open windows towards the end.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts