RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the good news is they think that it is the EGR valve that is causing the exhaust leak. The only problem is that when they went to order it, the system will not let them and says that it is restricted. They have a call into Ram to get the part but I have not heard back from them. I guess that I have to continue to drive my stinky truck but I am not going to burn it. :mad:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It's not just a gasket, or something that can be sealed?

Well... unfortunately... that's why there are warranties on new trucks these days. It was obviously defective.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well service adviser called the wife this morning and told her that Ram says that it is not the EGR valve. They did tell her what they think that the problem is but she didn't understand what he was telling her and she could not relay it to me. I tried to call the service adviser and only got his voice mail every time that I called. I am not sure what they are going to do to it but the wife said they told her that they are going to give us a rental so I don't know if this is going to be a major fix. I am frustrated but this is what I get for not letting all the bugs get worked out on a new motor launch.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This goes in tomorrow to be torn apart. The senior engineer at the factory does not believe that it is the EGR so they are going to tear it down. He told the service guy something about the injectors could leak but I think that it is to much exhaust for that and I doubt that you would hear the turbo through this. Today when we got home from church and the wife's short trip to Wal-mart (1 1/2 hour later) it was hot out so had the ac on and when I pulled in the garage you should have seen the smoke pouring out of the vents. When they get to the bottom of it I will post.

·
Registered
362 Posts
This goes in tomorrow to be torn apart. The senior engineer at the factory does not believe that it is the EGR so they are going to tear it down. He told the service guy something about the injectors could leak but I think that it is to much exhaust for that and I doubt that you would hear the turbo through this. Today when we got home from church and the wife's short trip to Wal-mart (1 1/2 hour later) it was hot out so had the ac on and when I pulled in the garage you should have seen the smoke pouring out of the vents. When they get to the bottom of it I will post.
Sorry to hear that man, hopefully this isn't a huge issue and they can fix it quick for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The verdict is in and it was not a part malfunction but a human error. Someone in assembly forgot to tighten three bolts on a cross tube on the EGR. The bolts were in the holes but had not been tightened and the crush gasket was still intact. On a good note my full mileage went up as I got 25.8 miles to the gallon on the 30 mile trip home. That is 2 miles better than I had been able to do on that trip before. I just went over 1000 miles on the truck and I am just glad to not have the stink anymore.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Glad to hear it was a simple fix

·
Registered
698 Posts
The good ol' human factor. Glad to hear they didn't have to tear into your engine and it was a simple fix. Hopefully you will have many care free miles ahead now.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Great !! It's not a real problem... just a mistake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts