RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The intent is for towing behind electric vehicles to help compensate for the range loss, but can you imagine the fuel efficiency behind an EcoD?

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
Talk about power assist. Lol I could use some help in lowering my fuel bill. Since January 2 we having been picking up at the brand new and big plant. Haven't even been through much of it yet. I like the sensible Globetrotters in the video lighter and better balanced to tow than the 30' Classics.

·
Super Moderator
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@VernDiesel you should ask AirStream if they need someone to do real world testing of towing these electrified trailers. Could be more profitable.

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
So far off in the future is a powered camper. Silly.

They have had them for decades. Called "Motorhomes", they are a powered camper of the future from today back maybe a hundred years.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would love to see a cost breakdown spreadsheet to justify the costs. Surely a person would need to tow a lot to make it cost effective. Then at what point is a hotel an option. Don't most trailer hook up places charge 30$ plus a night?

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
I would love to see a cost breakdown spreadsheet to justify the costs. Surely a person would need to tow a lot to make it cost effective. Then at what point is a hotel an option. Don't most trailer hook up places charge 30$ plus a night?
Right, right...you're bloody well right. Sometimes it is more just to park a trailer, get water, electric and a sewer drain. Of course, you do all the work in rain, dark, bugs etc.

I never did a cost analysis of the whole experience as you have to actually buy the trailer. Then you buy tires, propane, insurance, do maintenance, get a generator, all hook-ups and keep it clean and serviced. When you pull the thing your fuel mileage goes into the toilet. That makes the actual movement quite expensive compared to just moving along. To me a travel trailer is like a boat. There's no hole in the water to pour money in but there sure is a lot of road to throw money out on. Then you get to store the darn thing when you do not use it.

RV = Ruined Vacation. They are expensive and cheaply made so they fall apart. Now my wife does like not sleeping in a disgusting bed at a motel. I agree after dealing with multiple roach rooms in the past. Near cities it is often quite difficult to find a place to park the darn things for the night. Often a WalMart parking lot or just along the road using your generator and gas to run things. It can sure be noisy at night in some places but that's the joy of RV'ing.

We will be in our toy hauler at a racetrack near Daytona for Bike Week. Here's a situation when it is both fun, safe and economical. There are some advantages if you can keep one covered and dry when not using it and don't have to have the latest and greatest. Their re-sale value is below the hideous so buy used and keep forever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts