RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to add interior LED mood lighting, and would like to use so e nice nights I have used in my house, color changing LED strips powered by 120volts with a simple transformer stepping down to 12. Two options to power:

1) supply with 120v. How do I tap into the 120v supply in front dash, from behind the dash? For example run 120v lead from that source to back of cab for an extra outlet? Would like this even if I don't use for lighting; I could power kids gadgets.

2) 12v supply. Where do I best tap into a 12v source in the cab? Would like to hardware a combo of lED lights, radar detector, and other.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Get a firewall boot from Amazon or Ebay. Cut an 1 1/4" hole in the plastic cover from inside the cab, through the firewall right here.

Put the boot in from the cab. It will stick out into the engine compartment right here.

Unless you drill in the wrong place.

Now just fuse two hot wires off the battery, Bring them into the cab and lift the parking brake release. Set a simple Radio Shack bus terminal right here.

I have antennae wires and feeds for my radar detector, GPS and amateur radio gear coming off that bus. Simple 'cause I'm simple.

No clue about your AC inverter as I do not have one. My way you would have to run a feed to a cheap aftermarket one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am looking to add interior LED mood lighting, and would like to use so e nice nights I have used in my house, color changing LED strips powered by 120volts with a simple transformer stepping down to 12. Two options to power:

1) supply with 120v. How do I tap into the 120v supply in front dash, from behind the dash? For example run 120v lead from that source to back of cab for an extra outlet? Would like this even if I don't use for lighting; I could power kids gadgets.

2) 12v supply. Where do I best tap into a 12v source in the cab? Would like to hardware a combo of lED lights, radar detector, and other.
Amazon has a bunch of 12v led rope lighting options. I've used some for interior lighting in my work vans. van3.jpg

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Want to know what you can do with mood lighting. All I can think of is to use at a drive-in with the right person.

You youngsters even know what a drive-in is?

Reactions: JAK

·
Registered
216 Posts
Want to know what you can do with mood lighting. All I can think of is to use at a drive-in with the right person.

You youngsters even know what a drive-in is?
Last time I was at a drive-in a dude got a beat down from a group of punks, he got in his car and almost ran over one of the punks. Heard a couple of pops, no sure if gun fire or backfire. Meanwhile the concession stand was on fire. Nothing like a multiple felony night in the 'hood.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
There's an operating drive-in right near me in Ruskin, Fl. The owners are very religious people and do not permit any alcohol on their property.

It's probably not going to last but it's been a popular fixture there for decades. Society is getting more miserable because we allow it. They don't at that drive-in.

With Amazon moving in I see lots and lots of building and huge numbers of "troubled" people coming in with it. It's the draw of low-cost housing I guess. The quality of life here and at the drive-in will fall.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
We have a drive in right up the rd... 5 drive in, it's actually really cool very family oriented with playgrounds etc, but if you go with the wife/GF you can still sneak in a few beers/wine and Noone really bugs you....never seen any problems there other than dead batteries and people hitting the posts...

And nail right on the head capt! Poverty breeds crime!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts