RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel with 104K miles on it. About 2 weeks ago I had the "service Electronic Throttle Control" light come on. I took it in to the dealership and they serviced it. Code was P0299 and they replaced the turbo, all the gaskets, cac hose and fuel filters. Drove fine for those two weeks then last night, the "service ETC" light comes back on and went into limp mode. When getting it serviced the first time, they mentioned getting the intake valve I believe it was replaced as well, maybe the intake manifold, don't remember. Would either of these issues be the cause for the etc to come on in the first place, then after getting the turbo replaced, would whatever intake be the issue for it coming on a second time?

I'm currently waiting for the tow truck to take it back in to the dealer to get it looked at again, just wanted to see what other people said about the issue and what they had done if they had the same issues.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm no help, but had a question about your experience since I threw that code last night taking my boat out (I was hoping I might have stomped both pedals at the same time since the ramp was pretty steep). Did your truck go into limp mode the first time when you had the P0299 error? That is the only code showing on my truck right now and the drivability seems normal to me. Dealer said he couldn't look at it till Tuesday so I'm hoping it doesn't go from bad to worse this weekend.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Get them to check your Accelerator pedal. I just had the same issue (search for my post - documented it all there). My pedal was not sending the correct throttle requests to the computer, which screwed everything up. When the error would come up, it would throw a lot of Engine Codes - but they were really just a symptom - not the actual problem (the codes were being generated because the Pedal was saying one thing, but the Computer was seeing something else - so engine management would get all confused).

Once the Pedal was replaced, everything went back to normal. Nothing on the Engine needed updating/replacing.

By the way - in my case Limp mode was not actually limp mode - but the pedal either sending input slowly - or not at all.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Another thing is map sensor. Or as they call it in the diesel a boost sensor. It will become clogged and stop sending signal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tupelo, I read your previous post and mine has almost the exact same symptoms. I thought it felt like it was underpowered but couldn't really figure out what was going on since the engine was running so well. I will be interested to see if they figure it out Tuesday! Apologies to the OP - not trying to butt in on the post.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Welcome - first post.

With over 100,000 miles on your Ecodeisel I wonder if you have had and engine control modifications? Many here literally cannot run long without dealing with the sensors in the emission and the EGR system. Most use something like GDE to dramatically improve reliability and cut down on the sensor issues. The ideas you got on throttle position, throttle position sensor and mass air flow sensor cleaning could all be possibilities.

I am guessing you paid lots and lots of money to some dealer to throw a new turbo and other things at a problem that might easily and cheaply have been corrected. Read around this forum and gain more knowledge. it just might save you a whole lot more money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Preciate the help so far, I mentioned a few of these to them to check so we shall se what the say back!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well finally heard back from the dealer and they are sticking with the intake needing to replaced at a close to $4k cost. I left a message with them on Friday to run a diagnostic on the accelerator pedal, and when they finally called today they were adamant on the intake and hadn't even checked the accelerator pedal. I am waiting to hear back from them right now about the pedal.

Is this service ETC and "limp mode" a common occurrence for eco diesels though? will it continue?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Tupelo, I read your previous post and mine has almost the exact same symptoms. I thought it felt like it was underpowered but couldn't really figure out what was going on since the engine was running so well. I will be interested to see if they figure it out Tuesday! Apologies to the OP - not trying to butt in on the post.
Thanks for mentioning that last part - I forgot to put that in. The Engine will not have any weird noises, sound different etc. (For the OP).

·
Registered
545 Posts
I fortunate that when I brought my Truck in:

1) It was in ETC mode.
2) The technician who worked on it, drove the truck into the bay
3) He seemed to know what he was doing

The engine sounded fine - but the technician could tell that it was a throttle input problem - basically because when mashing the pedal to the floor - it got up to the roaring speed of 1. :rolleyes:.

By the way - where are you located? Maybe the dealer I used is close by (long shot, but figured it is worth asking).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm currently in Greensboro North Carolina. They ran the test on the pedal and said that is running fine. They are sticking with the intake manifold now at this point. got them to drop the price on it because they offered it cheaper when doing the turbo the first time so they are gonna cut the cost since we are back now for the same problem.

I haven't really been able to find anything anywhere about this problem having both the Turbo AND Intake for having this problem? Am I the first to have this type of problem?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'm currently in Greensboro North Carolina. They ran the test on the pedal and said that is running fine. They are sticking with the intake manifold now at this point. got them to drop the price on it because they offered it cheaper when doing the turbo the first time so they are gonna cut the cost since we are back now for the same problem.

I haven't really been able to find anything anywhere about this problem having both the Turbo AND Intake for having this problem? Am I the first to have this type of problem?
can you get them to tell you what exactly is wrong with the intake? sounds like they are guessing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well Un fotunetly they still haven't figured out all of the grimlens they have lurking in them. So ate they thinking the air baffles in the bottom are not operating correctly? Ether there stuck open or closed?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I would definitely not trust these guys. Not because they are bad or anything, but the fact they are throwing parts at it.

Make them show you why they are about to rip the top part of your engine apart. Ignoring the 4k bill, its a risky operation because it's obvious they are not sure whats up and you run the chance that they will screw something up on top of the engine. THere is a Lot of stuff on top... Nearly all critical for the reliable functioning of this engine.

Hell, if they are now trying to replace the manifold, it's possible they damaged it on the turbo replacement.

·
Registered
545 Posts

So the dealer I had to use on the way home, is in Manning South Carolina. Only one there - about 3 hours away from you. If you are not sure, it might be worth a call, but they probably won't be able to do much over the phone.

It might be worth taking the Truck back, and driving it until the Error comes back - and then driving it to your dealership when the Error is active. Not fun - but I am pretty sure that was what let the dealer I stopped at, figure out the problem - since anyone listening to the Engine could tell it was running fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel with 104K miles on it. About 2 weeks ago I had the "service Electronic Throttle Control" light come on. I took it in to the dealership and they serviced it. Code was P0299 and they replaced the turbo, all the gaskets, cac hose and fuel filters. Drove fine for those two weeks then last night, the "service ETC" light comes back on and went into limp mode. When getting it serviced the first time, they mentioned getting the intake valve I believe it was replaced as well, maybe the intake manifold, don't remember. Would either of these issues be the cause for the etc to come on in the first place, then after getting the turbo replaced, would whatever intake be the issue for it coming on a second time?

I'm currently waiting for the tow truck to take it back in to the dealer to get it looked at again, just wanted to see what other people said about the issue and what they had done if they had the same issues.

Thank you for any help.
Had the P0299 code come up again (3rd time) on Monday 14th May. Went to dealer to get a loaner and left the truck. Last time I had this code they had the truck for 3 1/2 weeks. The next day they called said I cold pickup vehicle. I asked if it was fixed already, service rep. told me they cleared the code but don't know how to fix the problem but I can drive the truck until it happens again or they find a fix. The service rep showed me a FAC Star Online Publication Case Number: S1718000032, Release Date: 1014/2017. They said I couldn't have a copy of the publication because it was proprietary (ha ha). I mean it's titled "STAR ONLINE PUBLICATION". Anyway I took a picture instead of taking the paper. The last sentence says "Issue is under investigation and no fix is available at this time. This SOL case will be updated when a fix is available"

I talked to the salesman I bought the truck from (still there over 2 years later). He recommended calling customer service and said to ask about "trade-in assistance" to get out of current diesel and into a new truck. I called customer service and was told they would assign a Case Manager and would contact me in the next couple days. Waiting...

Hope this is helpful. I will post again after I hear from Case Manager.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm right in the middle of a bunch of p0299 codes. I did my reasearch, changed the fuel filter, cleaned the MAP it all seemed good for a week and a half and got it again this past weekend. I ordered a 18 dollar Bluetooth OBDII reader that i can reset the code right from my phone. I hope this doesn't present major issues down the road.

Bought the truck end of July 2017, it had 53000 miles on it, it spent the greater part of Aug with the dealer who sold me it taking it to Canada (originally Canadian, so all warranty work had to be done north of the border) for DEF system codes, the last time the took it the said the dealer will guarantee you wont get that code. I know have 74000 on the truck and over the past month have had the p0299 code more than a handful of times and the occasional p26ab (transmission coolant bypass valve) that comes on an off. Seems to me these ECMs are too complex for their own good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the delay in response, as it's been a week since I had heard from the dealer. Finally got a loaner vehicle out of them for it being a second time, and now, after they had replaced the intake manifold and had the mechanic out driving the truck, he had the p0299 code pop up twice and had the symptoms come up but had whatever he needed to reset it. I called him out on that being the same code for the turbo and you could tell he said shit in his head and wasn't supposed to tell me that because he hesitated to give me a response, before he said the turbo is working just fine, but still trying to figure out why that came up again twice. I said to him again isn't that why I'm about to spend even more money to have the intake replaced that you guys were so absolutely set on being the problem? again you could see him saying **** in his head, hesitated and luckily one of his guys called about the loaner being fueled up and ready to go. I smiled took the loaner and will be dealing with the manager whenever I hear back for my truck, as I now should not be paying for anything and if not a refund, this is ridiculous!!

where do I find the info for the buyback program?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got that same message a few times. AT intersections I tend to have 1 foot on the brake and the other on the throttle. It doesn't like that. Resets after 2 seconds but that's a long time in the middle of an intersection!

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Sorry for the delay in response, as it's been a week since I had heard from the dealer. Finally got a loaner vehicle out of them for it being a second time, and now, after they had replaced the intake manifold and had the mechanic out driving the truck, he had the p0299 code pop up twice and had the symptoms come up but had whatever he needed to reset it. I called him out on that being the same code for the turbo and you could tell he said shit in his head and wasn't supposed to tell me that because he hesitated to give me a response, before he said the turbo is working just fine, but still trying to figure out why that came up again twice. I said to him again isn't that why I'm about to spend even more money to have the intake replaced that you guys were so absolutely set on being the problem? again you could see him saying **** in his head, hesitated and luckily one of his guys called about the loaner being fueled up and ready to go. I smiled took the loaner and will be dealing with the manager whenever I hear back for my truck, as I now should not be paying for anything and if not a refund, this is ridiculous!!

where do I find the info for the buyback program?
Sad that dealer is so repeatedly incompetent. You should not be punished for the issue so I sure understand your potential action. Thanks for the return and update.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts