RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reported a while back from my long trip problems with the "service electronic throttle control" message showin up and the car not moving any longer.

Well, just had my 10K service and as somebody had mentioned before: the fault code did indicate that throttle and gas was pushed at the same time. This will not occur from a stand still, more likely a slow speed pushing the brake pedal with you right foot and the throttle with you left.

Why the electronic control system acts like that, the dealer could not tell me. However, the remedy is to put the transmission into park, turn off the engine, turn it back on and you are good to go.

So the moral of the story; use your right foot for braking and throttle operation :)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The same thing happens on the Jeep CRDs. If you are getting this light, that also means you're driving around with enough pressure on the pedal to be activating the brake lights while driving. The system thinks there is an issue because in theory, you're not suppose to be trying to accelerate and slow down at the same time.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That is a good theory!! Can't stand people who "ride" the brakes while driving. They are a hazard.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That is a good theory!! Can't stand people who "ride" the brakes while driving. They are a hazard.
+1 on that!

·
Registered
940 Posts
+2 on that.

·
Registered
391 Posts
wait a second. I know this sounds funny, but like diesel_forever said, what happens when you try and do a burnout or something? I orded my truck a week ago and im coming from an 06 ram 2500 mega cab with all sorts of goodies. Im already worried about the lack of power but does this mean the thing wont even do a burn out? Has anyone tried?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The lock-out of the pedals happens only if the accelerator is pressed first and then the brake applied. This is a safety feature.

If you press the brake pedal first and then the accelerator, you can do burn-outs to your heart's delight.

·
Registered
391 Posts
ok, awesome. as stupid as it sounds, all of my trucks are used aggresively off road in the desert and that usually equates to having alot of wheel spin in corners and whatnot having fun. so the easiest way to describe that i guess is a burn out. But thank you for the answer!

·
Registered
698 Posts
The throttle/brake cutoff is a safety feature required by the government I believe.

This all stems back to Toyota where several people were killed in accidents from throttles sticking wide open, even turning the key off didn't work. A California CHP officer and his family were killed in one of these accidents, so even experience couldn't save the day.

Gotta love "fly by wire".

·
Registered
613 Posts
I also believe it is a safety feature. Not sure where it comes from, but it is a good thing when you consider what could happen when someone loses control of a vehicle in traffic or around pedestrians.

Killing the power to the wheels could help save a bystander or two as well as the driver and their passengers.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Shaking my head.

Never heard of stuff like this. A simple throttle cable would eliminate all this technology crap.

Rode with a woman one time. That's why I'm bald in the front. Gas, brake, gas, brake ... one after another with both feet. All the while we were traveling in the passing lane. I have no problem calling an idiot an idiot.

After the firefight I did the driving. Never saw her again. Hope I never do. With what you guys stated, she would have this truck all balled up immobile.

I would never tell her either.

Sad things are the way they are. Maybe they can add a clutch pedal for the left leg and call it something "trendy", like workout pedal? That would stop that two-footed abortion driving.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Shaking my head.
Sad things are the way they are. Maybe they can add a clutch pedal for the left leg and call it something "trendy", like workout pedal? That would stop that two-footed abortion driving.
That would be the Ecopedal...this is a RAM forum.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Shaking my head.

Never heard of stuff like this. A simple throttle cable would eliminate all this technology crap.
Actually cables can do the same thing, jam open. At least when they jammed you weren't at full throttle unless you were at wot when it happened. In my younger day as a mechanic we had a few that had this happen.

The electronic throttle is one of the reasons you get such great mileage. Everything is run through the computer and gets optimized at the most efficient setting, something you cant' do with a throttle cable.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My truck threw the service electronic throttle control light. Don't know why wasn't touching the brake. Guess I'll have to take it into the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
738 Posts
Now, here's the REAL question. Can I do a burn out on my Laramie 4x4, be ASSURED that ALL FOUR tires will leave rubber on the pavement even with a crappy transfer case, or, am I endangering the lives of myself and others because I only have a 3.55 rear end that's a safety hazard when compared to the 3.92, and shouldn't even try?

This is all starting to remind me of the first days of the PC running DOS, and the number one call into Call Centers was "where's the ANY key?" Oh to go back to the good ole days, when I got out of the truck to lock the axles, and sparks plugs and points were good for 12,000 miles (maybe), and the joys of pulling the air cleaner because the carb either flooded and/or had a vapor lock. Man, this stuff about the truck just running, and having the gaul to tell me what it thinks is wrong when it's not running correctly, well, it's just awful...................... :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Happen to me once while my son was driving. Starting off from a red light the truck would only go about 1 mile per hour. Told him to let off the accelerator and then hit it again, that worked. Makes me wonder, what going to happen if I stop on a steep hill? Gas and brake has always been used on hill with both stick shift and auto trans.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts