RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck threw a check engine code... Service electronic throttle control... and it went into a semi-limp mode. It's a 2018 with 24,300 miles on it. First issue I've had with it, and I am hoping the last.

Took it to the dealer and they're going to look at it and perform 2 recalls. 1 for a tailgate latch and another for a reflash.

Anyone else ever get this code?

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Yes. Others have had that issue.

Rather than relate some of the causes, let the dealer do their thing. You have a new one under warranty so it's best they take the first step. Report back with their findings and hopefully, the cure.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
"Electronic Throttle Control" is associated with numerous errors , you need to pull the error code to
pinpoint the cause , a check engine light tells you nothing , the code is the better clue .
for example , Numerous owners used 2 feet on both pedals for a brief moment , that will
throw a error code on your dash , and then they assumed the engine was a goner .
Just like Captain said , it's a new truck , let the dealer fix it , if it is indeed broken , so many parameters
being monitored by the many computers , just a little reading outside accepted parameters and boom , a code .
At the risk of sounding like a broken record .. GDE Hot Tune tweaks those accepted parameters to be more realistic ,
and throw no codes for ridiculous stuff compared to stock tune .

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love a GDE tune... but at the risk of sounding like another broken record... I live in The People's Republik of California, and I can't have it due to their CARB laws.

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
My truck threw a check engine code... Service electronic throttle control... and it went into a semi-limp mode. It's a 2018 with 24,300 miles on it. First issue I've had with it, and I am hoping the last.

Took it to the dealer and they're going to look at it and perform 2 recalls. 1 for a tailgate latch and another for a reflash.

Anyone else ever get this code?
Let us know what the dealer finds. Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do... in the meantime, they were kind enough to give me a regular cab, base model 1500 with a hemi and the tow pkg. I've got a boat to tow and a fishing trip planned for tomorrow!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They performed the recalls and the PCM reflash appears to have corrected the situation. So far so good...

·
Registered
71 Posts
mines been in the shop for just about 2 months now. did injectors and now they are doing the def injector saying it leaks fluid causing a fuel quantity code which brings up the ETC

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had that code and it ended up being the EGR cooler. Fixed my "dissapearing coolant" issue also. Hopefully it's an easy fix for you.
New update... threw the same exact code this morning. Throttle response wasn't as bad as last time, but still not right. They just texted me this afternoon... it's the EGR cooler, like yours. Here's our text stream:

Him: Sir, they discovered a leak at the EGR cooler. I ordered the part, it should be here tomorrow, I should have you back in your truck Friday.
Me: Okay... Wait a second... wouldn't that cause a coolant leak?
Him: It was leaking internally.
Me: What? Where does it go?
Him: Into the oil.
Me: Well great. We doing an oil change, too?
Him: Yes, we put new oil in it as well.
Me: What could possibly go wrong with coolant contaminated oil? *sarcasm*
Him: Absolutely nothing come on.
Me: LOL.

Absolutely nothing? Really? How about fried bearings, which has been an issue with these trucks? I barely put 300 miles on it since they did the last fix. They obviously cleared the code, did the fkn reflash and called it fixed... and I went another 300 miles with coolant in my oil before it acted up again. Incompetent douches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts