RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quest for 30mpg in a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel - Final Gear - Diesel Power

Saw this in Diesel Power, interesting is the editor Sean Holman and Jason Gonderman achieved 30 mpg 2 times, and not using hypermiling. The one run was with the cruise set at 65 mph.

The article did not say what gearing the truck used, 392 or 355.

Take-away is the potential for really good fuel economy is there with the Ram 1500 and 8 speed.

Marsman

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks for posting that.

The ram is a good body for MPG. I drove up to Michigan with my 4.7 gas, and with the cruise set at 73, I was able to get 21 mpg. But with that said, I normally get 15 mpg.

It will be nice to get back into a diesel.

I noticed your post on the Pitt auto show. Where in Da' Burgh are you? I'm near Irwin.

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Irwin???

I lived in Cereal - Irwin. Corner house above the swamp which is now filled for a shopping center. Used to be a cereal plant just south of Rt 30 at the bridge to exit for Irwin downtown. Think it was at the bottom of Jacktown Hill. Friend, Jim Speranza, had a Chrsyler dealership on the hill there. I started hunting there in the late 40's but moved to Forest Hills in the early 50's.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Small world Capt, we moved to Forest hills in early 80s, I was slightly behind you. .... then out to Arizona, wife is from Pymatuning lake, so when we moved back, we settled near Cranberry in Mars, in the middle of both places... and glad we did... property value dove in Forest hills and Churchill because of the schools.... I know this is off topic... small world, 3 of us on the forum lived/from a few miles apart.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yep... small world.

I'm closer to Jeannette, by bushyrun battlefield. But Irwin is the more known town.

The local Ram dealer has changed hands, and is now owned by Jim Shorky. I think he bought the dodge, jeep, and ram dealership about 3 years ago. I'm trying to use him for my new truck, but I will talk with all the other Ram dealers to find the best price.

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Most of my adult life I lived off State Rt. 66 above the Beaver Run Reservoir. That's just north of Delmont and there's a Ram/Dodge dealer right there to check with.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dam Capt, that lake is beautiful.... we used to sneak in there and fish in high school and college.... we called it "Little Canada".. it was awesome......

Nice area, I have a buddy who lives just off 66, and my uncle lived off 286.

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Good turkey and deer hunting along the shorelines. Got many a buck and bird near there. I used to have access through the Remaley property. They are both dead now and I moved away also.

Used to live on Young Dr. that goes back toward the lake. It was up on the hill above the church at the end of 366.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You guys are thinking inside the box. If you move to Canada and begin using the Canadian gallon, you will achieve upto 40 MPG with the Ecodiesel. Just kidding...

Seriously though that's better than every 1.6 VTEC I ever had as a younger man, and I had them all: Civics, a "del Sol", an Acura EL, Honda Prelude(converted from 2.0 carburetor to 1.6 VTEC) and not all of them were modified their whole lives. Best I got was 36 MPG in the del Sol with intake exhaust and fuel system tuning. Compare the weight, the power, capability and safety. This truck tears ricers a new one everywhere but the track. But, it'll tow them there at roughly the same mileage as the car gets.

I'm actually fairly embarrassed that it took me until now to do the math. I'll actually be saving money over my Hondas(because they also run on 91 Octane from the factory) and significantly so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts