RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend took his 2107 EcoD in for it's first emission test today. It may have the original GDE tune from 2018. The opacity test was passed at .7 and he is not exactly sure how this stacks up against untuned trucks. Does anyone know if this is a good number? BTW the truck passed and is in Maricopa county AZ.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
634 Posts
Per GDE this engine is tested to tier 2 bin 5 regulations which don't specify opacity as a requirement. However, opacity is used as an indication of particulate matter which is regulated by tier 2 bin 5. Opacity measures the amount of light dispersed by the particulate matter in the exhaust and is typically provided as a percentage, i.e. a higher number would mean more light is blocked and therefore there is more particulate matter in the exhaust. In this case I believe it would be 0.7%. I was once told 20% is "barely visible smoke"

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not sure. Both times I've taken my '15 in I got an Administrative Exemption as they had technical difficulties. I use the station at Bell and Grand.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not sure what standard is but 20% is easily visible. In construction if you exceed 20% you get fined.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I'd bet it's cleaner with GDE. At 125,000 miles, my tail pipes are shiny. Look at any other pickup with that many miles. Hemis run much dirtier.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm in Pima county We thankfully don't have to test, I remember once at Litchfield Road & I-10 watching a cummins with a stack & the truck obviously had a tune that allowed him to roll coal because he was rolling crazy amounts of smoke, that's the guys that are screwing it up for the rest of us, it's childish and irresponsible.

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
Most of the people doing the emissions testing in AZ have no idea what there doing its just a job for them. Also the equipment is not calibrated well or often.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After reviewing the emissions report it was indeed .7%. While I am certain GDE is correct, it appears that Maricopa county does test for opacity otherwise I find it hard to believe that the data would be included. I am way too lazy/disinterested to look it up. The point of my post was to show that the original GDE tune seems to be working well enough to pass an emissions test. BTW the truck still runs DEF and has the new EGR cooler which was installed about 3 weeks ago. Odometer has ~65K miles. Still couldn't be happier with my truck.
Canyon

Per GDE this engine is tested to tier 2 bin 5 regulations which don't specify opacity as a requirement. However, opacity is used as an indication of particulate matter which is regulated by tier 2 bin 5. Opacity measures the amount of light dispersed by the particulate matter in the exhaust and is typically provided as a percentage, i.e. a higher number would mean more light is blocked and therefore there is more particulate matter in the exhaust. In this case I believe it would be 0.7%. I was once told 20% is "barely visible smoke"

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen those jerkwads and always wondered what the point was. The latest insane behavior from those same people is to block electric vehicle charging stations. Again what is the point? You don't like EV's, don't buy one. Unfortunately for them EV's will eventually become predominant no matter how much their little feelings are hurt.
I actually thought that Tucson did have to test. Am I misinformed?
Canyon

I'm in Pima county We thankfully don't have to test, I remember once at Litchfield Road & I-10 watching a cummins with a stack & the truck obviously had a tune that allowed him to roll coal because he was rolling crazy amounts of smoke, that's the guys that are screwing it up for the rest of us, it's childish and irresponsible.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Tucson has testing after 5 years. They run a different test than Maricopa County buts it's just a smoke test they don't look at the gasses

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Tucson has testing after 5 years. They run a different test than Maricopa County buts it's just a smoke test they don't look at the gasses
Hi: Ransom... Sounds more like "Smoke & Mirrors" to me!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I decided to not be so lazy and look up how emissions are tested in AZ and, lo and behold, Maricopa county does use an opacity test on diesel engines. The best I can tell is that the AZ standard is 35% for 5 seconds on turbo charged diesel engines. The new California standard, that is being considered, is 5%. After this reading my friend is even happier that the opacity reading on the EcoD was .7% which would even pass the Cal standard with flying colors. This appears to be the same test that is administered in Tucson.
Canyon

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
634 Posts
After reviewing the emissions report it was indeed .7%. While I am certain GDE is correct, it appears that Maricopa county does test for opacity otherwise I find it hard to believe that the data would be included. I am way too lazy/disinterested to look it up. The point of my post was to show that the original GDE tune seems to be working well enough to pass an emissions test. BTW the truck still runs DEF and has the new EGR cooler which was installed about 3 weeks ago. Odometer has ~65K miles. Still couldn't be happier with my truck.
Canyon
So I decided to not be so lazy and look up how emissions are tested in AZ and, lo and behold, Maricopa county does use an opacity test on diesel engines. The best I can tell is that the AZ standard is 35% for 5 seconds on turbo charged diesel engines. The new California standard, that is being considered, is 5%. After this reading my friend is even happier that the opacity reading on the EcoD was .7% which would even pass the Cal standard with flying colors. This appears to be the same test that is administered in Tucson.
Canyon
I never said they didn't use an opacity test, or record it. I simply said opacity is not listed as a requirement by the EPA. And my point was that Opacity is at best a "guestimate" of particulate matter.

The EPA requirement calls out a specific limit for particulate matter in the exhaust listed in Parts Per Million. In order to test this they have to collect a sample of exhaust and analyze it. But this would be too difficult and time consuming for a county or city to test individual personal vehicles. As an alternative they determine that xxx PPM particulate matter is roughly equivalent to x% opacity. Doing an opacity test is quick and easy but only gives an approximate result of the actual quantity of particulate matter.

And from your further research it seems that there is a considerable amount of leeway in the allowable percentage also. And it's great that the pre EPA GDE tune is more than clean enough to pass a local test without issue.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Phoenix and Tucson both text opacity but do it diifferently.Tucson tests under load on a dyno, Phoenix does a snap test. Would like to test in Tucson but Phoenix won't accept test.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine was put on what certainly looked like a dyno and they had the engine revved , at least in my opinion, pretty high.
Canyon

Phoenix and Tucson both text opacity but do it diifferently.Tucson tests under load on a dyno, Phoenix does a snap test. Would like to test in Tucson but Phoenix won't accept test.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts