RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not confirmed by me, but reported on the Jeep Ecodiesel site.

"I got a call this morning from my dealer in Silverthorn CO saying my scheduled emission upgrade had to be postponed until further notice. The vehicles that have had the upgrade and drive at high altitude are having check engine lights come on. I guess that FCA in a hurry to get the emission mess cleared up forgot to do some high altitude testing.

Flat landers shouldn't have any issues, but since we live in the mountains I'm in a holding pattern on the update."

·
Administrator
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the AEM update is suppose to be same as 2017-2018 EcoDiesel’s? You’d think if it was the same this issue would have occurred in the past 2 years...
Maybe it’s not quite the same ?
Perhaps it's not or perhaps the info. is inaccurate. It's the first I heard of high altitude issues with the AEM.

·
Administrator
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another post from the Jep forum:

"My cabin/ranch is at 9,200 ft above sea level. My WK2 has not had any issues this summer after getting the AEM."

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Guessing that's not a universal issue as we surely would have heard more before this. Make the Silverton to Urey ride and find out. In the East it is not remotely that high in altitude. Mt. Mitchell, highest peak east of the Mississippi, is but 6,600 ft. Mt. Washington is a few feet less and seems like you are on Pikes Peak. In actuality, you are a mile of so lower.

Thinking it again the relatively "low" area of Denver is hear as high as the highest peaks in the East. Not sure of the validity of that dealers' claim.

·
Administrator
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guessing that's not a universal issue as we surely would have heard more before this. Make the Silverton to Urey ride and find out. In the East it is not remotely that high in altitude. Mt. Mitchell, highest peak east of the Mississippi, is but 6,600 ft. Mt. Washington is a few feet less and seems like you are on Pikes Peak. In actuality, you are a mile of so lower.

Thinking it again the relatively "low" area of Denver is hear as high as the highest peaks in the East. Not sure of the validity of that dealers' claim.
Agreed. Not sure of the validity of that dealers' claim.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not confirmed by me, but reported on the Jeep Ecodiesel site.

"I got a call this morning from my dealer in Silverthorn CO saying my scheduled emission upgrade had to be postponed until further notice. The vehicles that have had the upgrade and drive at high altitude are having check engine lights come on. I guess that FCA in a hurry to get the emission mess cleared up forgot to do some high altitude testing.

Flat landers shouldn't have any issues, but since we live in the mountains I'm in a holding pattern on the update."

Well, I can debunk this one pretty quick, at least for our trucks, as I just had the AEM done at that very dealership, Groove Dodge, Ram in Silverthorne, on the 15th.

This truck is excellent at altitude. I moved from 300ft above sea level in the midwest - hence the Flatlander handle - up to 9100ft in Colorado in the middle of this past winter. It has handled the ridiculous amount of snow that fell this winter, tows the camper over passes confidently, climbs the Forest Service roads, and hauls the family. 60k miles, GDE since 15k miles and immediately after AEM.

20190804_141207.jpg

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, I can debunk this one pretty quick, at least for our trucks, as I just had the AEM done at that very dealership, Groove Dodge, Ram in Silverthorne, on the 15th.

This truck is excellent at altitude. I moved from 300ft above sea level in the midwest - hence the Flatlander handle - up to 9100ft in Colorado in the middle of this past winter. It has handled the ridiculous amount of snow that fell this winter, tows the camper over passes confidently, climbs the Forest Service roads, and hauls the family. 60k miles, GDE since 15k miles and immediately after AEM.

View attachment 81978
But I guess you didn't really run the AEM though so you don't know if it would cause problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
But I guess you didn't really run the AEM though so you don't know if it would cause problems.
Debunked scheduled emission upgrade had to be postponed until further notice. Apparently not true.
Both correct.

I called to schedule the recall sometime in July and they couldn't get me in until Aug 15th. The scheduling desk was very familiar with the AEM and said they had a back log of vehicles to update, which is why I wasn't able to get in right away. I suppose that they could have been holding off earlier in the year and created a back log, but they made no mention to me of anything of the sort.

Also correct that I can't attest to any issues related to the AEM at elevation because it was only in the truck for 20 miles or so - I kept my original ECM for exactly this scenario. I can say that in those few brief miles, I was surprised that the performance of the truck was better than I expected. It felt pretty much the same as the original tune to me. Again, very little seat time, but I didn't almost get run over pulling into traffic. YMMV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts