RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just joined the forum. Almost purchased a Laramie Hemi last week, but decided to read about the EcoDiesel and found this great forum. I have not been able to try the ED as there are none around in Central Maine. After reading a bunch of posts, and the great feedback, I am seriously considering ordering one w/o trying it. But have one concern: When cruising along say 65 on the highway, has anyone compared the engine/cabin noise of the ED with that of a Hemi? Are they the same or is the ED a little louder in the cabin?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had an 08 Ram Big Horn with a Hemi. Hands down the 2014 Outdoorsman that I have now is a way better truck. At idle and say under 10mph you might tell the engine is a little different. At a cruise, there is no engine noise and the truck is super quiet. I can't say enough good things about this truck.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The ED is non detectable at cruising speeds. I'm blown away how quiet it is! You will not regret it from a noise standpoint. Even at full throttle acceleration it's hard to hear or detect its a diesel. My parents have a 2003 Dmax and it is sooooo loud that I understand where u are coming from with your worries. But don't be.

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ditto! The interior noise of the diesel engine at 75 mph is barely noticeable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The ecodiesel is quiter than the hemi, especially while cruising at highway speeds. Picked mine up on Saturday, and it definitely exceeded my expectations. Only thing i hear at highway speeds is the tire noise from the cheap passenger tires they put on my outdoorsman.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'm going to suggest the engine noise of the Hemi is going to be more than the EcoDiesel. ;)
Agreed, and in fact when you're under hard acceleration you'd swear it wasn't diesel. At 65 miles per hour you can barely hear the engine at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same as the other posts, they are a very quiet ride! A little noise idling and putting around town after that you don't hear the engine. 18,500kms on mine since the end of April and love it!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I traded a 2012 Laramie with the Hemi for a 2014 Laramie Ecodiesel and at 65 mph if you here anything it is the tire noise from the cheap tires as stated earlier. This is by far the best truck that I have driven. You won't regret buying this truck.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Ummm what noise? Maybe...might be something there at idle or just off the line. But I had to turn the stereo off, roll down the window and stick my head out to hear it.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Two friends with Hemi's. Been on tows with both. Hemi is louder as the rpm's run higher under load. Actually think the Hemi is louder when not under tow but not sure.

Talk too much when I'm in their trucks to listen.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Two of us in the forum had Cadillac CTSs. The Laramie I have is as quiet or quitter than the CTS, as good a ride as the Caddy and comes with more toys than the Caddy.

Ram makes a great truck. The EcoD and 8 speed transmission only makes it better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not to mention you don't have to deal with the annoying mds that the Hemi has, I had an 2011 Hemi it was aggravating on road trips hearing the engine switch from 8 to 4 cylinder all the time!

·
Registered
556 Posts
You cannot hear the engine in the cabin at highway speed...at medium speed....at low speed (well....maybe a bit a low speed). I am a little disappointed in that - would actually like to hear a little more. What I end up doing on the days I want to listen to the motor, is turn off the radio and open a window.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You cannot hear the engine in the cabin at highway speed...at medium speed....at low speed (well....maybe a bit a low speed). I am a little disappointed in that - would actually like to hear a little more. What I end up doing on the days I want to listen to the motor, is turn off the radio and open a window.
Ditto on engine noise.I like hearing the diesel when pulling in or out of a parking lot,or cruising slow through town.It sounds like a much bigger engine then it is.At speed it's more like a husky, faint grunt from under the hood.If my 2012 Hemi reved @ 2000rpm's while cruising @ 75,there was a real noticeable exhaust noise out the rear.You could hear it reving.My ED can rev at the same rpm's but since there is no exhaust noise,it never sounds loud.I think that's the biggest differance between the Hemi and ED.The ED makes no noise out the back.Just a nice barely detectable noise under the hood.I was afraid I'd miss the exhaust note of my Hemi when I traded for the ED.Turns out,not at all.I like the diesel sound much better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts