RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove for a week without it then with it on and paid attention to the temps on the EVIC. No change. It did not matter if it was Houston rush hour or hwy cruising at 70. They all stayed the same. It must be for sound effects only. I really could not notice much difference with windows up and A/C on.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
If it's for sound only, was there a sound difference?

Sounds like none based on your windows comments.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If it's for sound only, was there a sound difference?

Sounds like none based on your windows comments.
I could not tell if there was a difference in sound. I will try the decibel meter on my iPhone and see if that indicates any changes. If there is, it is negligible. Maybe it is for looks. Seems like under most hoods today, there is a cover like this one. My Son's girlfriend has a Charger RT with a cover that hides nearly the entire engine. You'd think that with a performance hemi under the hood, they would want more V8 sound.

I guess the title of my post is kind of goofy. If is is for sound, and I could not notice one it must not be for sound.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I might mess around with taking it off. On one hand, I drive a lot and like the truck quiet. On the other hand (this was my first day with it) I kept finding myself turning the radio down do I could listen to the engine. Love the turbo spooling, the exhaust note and the exhaust note at idle. I guess in the long run I'll prefer it on if it makes it quieter...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I removed the molded rubber sound insulators from the top side of the engine. I also removed the plastic cover. The plastic cover, in my opinion, did not make any difference in sound when removed. When I removed the rubber insulators the sound increased at idle only---minimal. One of the rubber insulators was melting due to heat. Why would a manufacturer trap heat to keep sound down? The plastic cover does protect some wiring. It would probably be a good idea to install when cleaning the engine with water.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a feeling that there's a little there for noise control, but given most manufactures are going this route, it looks like a lot of it is just for aesthetics more than anything.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
That melting observation is no surprise. Now, just based on that comment, I'm going to make time to remove my pads also.

Without the top plastic cover there's too much "loose" crap on top to look good. Keeping that seems the right thing to do.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have taken the engine covers off on every vehicle I have owned. My feeling is that even if they can cool fine while you are running, when you stop and park, you are not doing any of the hoses, electronics, or fittings any favors by now turning your engine compartment into a kiln. In the back of my head, I think that the mfg must have considered this, but removing them seems like such a simple measure of common sense, I just remove them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Without the top plastic cover there's too much "loose" crap on top to look good. Keeping that seems the right thing to do.
Agree.

When you remove the left side, there is a intake tube that rests on the rubber insulator. You will need to remove it in order to get the rubber insulator out. Also, there is some type of breather tube that rests in a slot on top of the insulator. I tie strapped it to the intake tube.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I disconnected that pipe where it goes down and there is a little rubber piece... I just loosened the hose clamp popped the pipe out and took the rubber out...

Super easy!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Maybe the covers are to protect the underside of the hood from the heat off the engine?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry to bring up an OLD thread but when I was at the dealership tonite, salesman who was driving an EcoD said to remove the hood sound matting in order to increase the sound, said it made a BIG difference and he's a farm boy so likes the diesel noise! Going to give it a try once I get my truck, said it's only 6 clips.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can see removing the foam from under the cover. It seams to me that the only good thing the foam does is contain the sound. trapping the heat can't be good.
I would leave the cover. this keeps dirt and water from directly contacting the electrical connections. It also makes the top of the engine look neater.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I saw others removed their covers and it seemed like the right thing for me too.

1). I found the small breather hose on the drivers side snaps into the plastic cover holder quite nicely to hold it up off.

2). I was thinking the EGR tube is right below the plastic intake hose to the air cleaner. Ram put a sock on it, and the intake hose heater may be the actual item above the EGR, but is anybody worried about with the removal of the passenger side foam insulator that a hole could get melted in the plastic?

Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts