RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just after Thanksgiving my truck started to sound a little louder. I'd only been doing local short trips since it started, so it didn't get any worse. It gave me a CEL for Low Oil Viscosity, even though I was only at 5-6k on current oil, and wouldn't regen at 90%, so I cleared the CEL, let the regen finish, and it never came back. Weeks later, I did a highway run and it got much louder and the oil pressure dropped to 0 and then back up 4 times at a stop light. The next day, it had a significant oil leak and went to the dealer. It had much louder compression, oil level was at the M in Max (probably from diesel dilution), and splatter all over the tailgate.
Dealer said no CEL, so what do I want them to do. Asked them to do an oil change and check filter for metal. Dealer said the leak was caused by the oil filter gasket being out of position (8k after the last change). Service guy (whom I've had bad support from in the past) considered it solved after the oil change and said that I could come get my truck. I spoke to the Manager and told him all of the symptoms I'd had and that I was NOT OK with picking it up. He investigated and said that they had found metal in the filter. They also said something about the computer reporting issues talking to an injector. I suspected that over-fueling was causing oil dilution and my over-full oil that smelled strongly of diesel. No CEL is surprising. They didn't bother to try and find the root cause of anything once finding metal.
Service Manager talked to the District Manager who said that even if one of the things covered by the AEM causes the engine to fail, that the replacement of the engine isn't fully covered. Service manager is appealing to them, but first response was that they would "probably" cover half of the $15k replacement engine. They came back today offering me a deductible of $6k. It makes sense to me that if an engine fails because of an AEM Warranty covered system, then the engine should be covered. I have had all oil changes and recalls performed at this dealer.

Question:
Has anyone had their engine covered fully, after the 5yr/100k warranty expired but had AEM warranty? If so, please share anything that you did to facilitate or argue the case. I'm calling FCA Customer Care today.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
A new engine is $7,895 from Mopar Powertrain. Just a heads up. Sorry to hear, I thought that we were over the failures, as they seem to be rare now...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Although it's not fully covered $3k to hit the reset button to 0 miles on that good looking Laramie seems like a pretty solid offer, top it off with a tune and you'll have many years of comfort.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
447 Posts
A new engine is $7,895 from Mopar Powertrain. Just a heads up. Sorry to hear, I thought that we were over the failures, as they seem to be rare now...
I dont know what the frequency of these used to be but I seem to see what I would consider a lot of them still popping up..

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I dont know what the frequency of these used to be but I seem to see what I would consider a lot of them still popping up..
Respectfully disagree i've seen alot over the years and what you WILL see is the frequency of the same truck/member discussing their particular issue and that is valid who wouldn't be upset about a failure, any of us would be quite vocal about a motor issue. Now do other engines fail.....you bet anything mechanical can and will fail time is unforgiving and let's face it some folks don't maintain or take care of them properly and will complain about how they have persistent issues.

The latest trend we are seeing is new to you membership aka truck market pricing pushing folks to consider used and or high mileage purchases which are a crap shoot especially for those coming from a gasser, this reminds me of the first GM Oldmobile Diesel 350's hitting the used market.

There's always two sides to a story.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
104 Posts
Although it's not fully covered $3k to hit the reset button to 0 miles on that good looking Laramie seems like a pretty solid offer, top it off with a tune and you'll have many years of comfort.
I would take that offer in a heartbeat, rolling back the clock to zero miles with a new engine is well worth $3k IMHO.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If one could obtain an accurate number of how many 3.0 Eco Diesel engines that are on the road, I would suspect that the engine failures percentage wise is extremely low.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
If one could obtain an accurate number of how many 3.0 Eco Diesel engines that are on the road, I would suspect that the engine failures percentage wise is extremely low.
The failure rate is at least 10% according to GDE.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
I thought that we were over the failures, as they seem to be rare now...
You don't see many engine failures anymore coming from the 2014 - 2016 trucks, but if you visit the EcoDiesel Facebook page, you'll see quite a few engine failures coming from the 2017 - 2019 trucks. VM Motori has a quality control issue, and they apparently don't know how to fix it. Now that I've hit 100,000 miles on my 2015, I hope to be in the 90% who have a good long-lasting engine. (y)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You don't see many engine failures anymore coming from the 2014 - 2016 trucks, but if you visit the EcoDiesel Facebook page, you'll see quite a few engine failures coming from the 2017 - 2019 trucks. VM Motori has a quality control issue, and they apparently don't know how to fix it. Now that I've hit 100,000 miles on my 2015, I hope to be in the 90% who have a good long-lasting engine. (y)
You and me! My other vehicle is a 1998 Subaru Outback with 252,000 miles. It has the 2.5l dohc flat 4 that was prone to have head gasket failures . Most of them blew up, but not mine..... yet. I like living on the edge.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
447 Posts
Out of all the vehicles Ive owned (including an older ram) and the different forums ive joined, It honestly wasnt until I joined a few different ecodiesel forums that I have seen so many engine failure threads and some reporting they were on thier 3rd or 4th engine due to the same bearing failure. Those are some crazy odds. (and lets not even get into all those that sold or traded thiers due to fear of impending failure)

You know what I do see an extremely low percentage of? Actual ecodiesels on the road around me in the USA. I spend 2 days in canada and saw 4 ecodiesels... they seem to be popular there. Meanwhile the entire time Ive owned my truck since august, Ive onle seen 2 ecodiesels on the road in person in the US where I live. And one was a 2021 a guy at a gas station just bought. He walked over to me to ask me about mine because he had been told bad things after purchasing his. Every time I see a ram I look for the ecodiesel engine plate. It honestly crazy given that I see so many rams a day, that Ive seen so few actual ecodiesels. I drive and travel lot as a field engineer so you would think I would see more.

And why cant FCA obtain some accurate info on how many ecodiesels are on the road that havent yet experienced engine failure? Subaru did it?

I mean what other forum do you guys belong to that has a 24 page long poll thread on catastrophic engine failures? POLL Catastrophic Failures and that poll hasnt been updated in 3 years.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Watch yourself this is a forum where you could get ridiculed because some people here have the perfect truck. Never gives grief. You can't call a spade a spade even if you own all mopar lol.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
Watch yourself this is a forum where you could get ridiculed because some people here have the perfect truck. Never gives grief.
I don't think anyone believes the 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel is the perfect truck. I think most people who frequent the forum are those who love their truck and want to have productive conversations. Complaining or bashing on the EcoDiesel isn't solution oriented. The complainers need to sell their trucks and move on. The rest of us are here to have honest conversations while being optimistic and proactive about owning our trucks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hoping FCA actually reads this forum and realize they stole money from some of us and need to do better. Not telling the truth does FCA no good in building things better. ALL manufacturers need to get told what they are sucking at or else things never change. IE voice command (only 8-10 years of junk), defrost issues, engine failures, etc. etc. I am looking for a reason why these things don't get addressed. If they now make a better eco diesel prove it! Give it more than a 100,000 km warranty. If I have to love my truck to be on a truck forum than I think this forum is a joke. I like my truck but it needs some changes. A forum is to inform. Somebody asks and you tell the truth. I am not going to tell someone interested in either buying an Eco or a Cummins to go buy the ECO. If you want a Ram truck and ask for an opinion does that mean that all of us with engine failures, 20 pages worth on this forum alone, can't chime in because we had engine failures lol. Good grief

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't think anyone believes the 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel is the perfect truck. I think most people who frequent the forum are those who love their truck and want to have productive conversations. Complaining or bashing on the EcoDiesel isn't solution oriented. The complainers need to sell their trucks and move on. The rest of us are here to have honest conversations while being optimistic and proactive about owning our trucks.
Not trying to be a "complainer" here just questioning how "honest" that statement made by "FCAEMPLOYEE" (no possible bias there) can really be? All im saying is it does no good to stick our heads in the sand and help FCA downplay the situation either.. No good will come of it.

For the record I do love my truck, Its also the most expensive vehicle Ive ever purchased, So yeah its my gamble and while I find comfort in knowing im not alone, I want to be properly informed with factual data as well as opinions, good or bad. I understand I may have an opinion or view that may not be the same as someone else or many not have the same knowledge on a topic but thats kind of the point of a forum to discuss and choose to take or not take something from these discussions but in the process to have the option to be better informed either way. If someone only wants to see positives, the threads such as this labeled engine failure at 88k are not really the best choice to open IMO.

Ive not even been able to find a local diesel mechanic as of yet that will work on it if I have an issue..

·
Registered
170 Posts
If anyone could obtain those numbers it's FCA. I am sure they don't want to let the cat out of the bag. Lucky if 10% of owners use a forum. Small dealers here have changed many eco engines so I am not sure how those numbers could be consider small percentages. Lots that blew up before warranty never get heard about near as much. They get a new motor and use it before warranty is up and send it to be someone else's problem.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If anyone could obtain those numbers it's FCA. I am sure they don't want to let the cat out of the bag. Lucky if 10% of owners use a forum. Small dealers here have changed many eco engines so I am not sure how those numbers could be consider small percentages. Lots that blew up before warranty never get heard about near as much. They get a new motor and use it before warranty is up and send it to be someone else's problem.
It would be fair to note that in general as with most things, more unhappy owners tend to join to voice thier fustrations than happy owners going about thier daily business. The old saying goes something like "if a person has a postive experience hes likely to share that info with one or two people, if they have a negative experience they are likely to share it with many more.

This has to be considered as well to be objective

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
All im saying is it does no good to stick our heads in the sand and help FCA downplay the situation either.. No good will come of it.
As long as FCA honors their warranties, then I'm happy. With that said, the spun bearing issue is concerning. The factory 5 year/100,000-mile warranty is good, but it would be a sad day to lose an engine at 105,000 miles. Just in case I fall into that 10% subgroup, I've already been saving for a new engine. I've been saving $250 per month since May of 2020. I now have $5,000 saved up.

For the record I do love my truck, Its also the most expensive vehicle Ive ever purchased, so yeah I want to be properly informed with facts as well as opinions, good or bad.
That's the benefit of forums. It's a good place to get as much information as possible so we all can make informed decisions.

Ive not even been able to find a local diesel mechanic as of yet that will work on it if I have an issue..
I'm at 100,000 miles and haven't had any issues (outside of the recalls) with my 2015. But if I had a major repair, I would probably approach the two dealerships in my area. They both have a designated EcoDiesel tech. Those two guys know the Ecodiesel very well. I know one local mechanic that's done some work on the EcoDiesel. He would be my next go-to mechanic.

Once my AEM warranty runs out, then I'll have a new intake installed and have the head ports/valves cleaned via walnut blasting. I know a guy who does that work.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts