RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Hoping FCA actually reads this forum and realize they stole money from some of us and need to do better. Not telling the truth does FCA no good in building things better. ALL manufacturers need to get told what they are sucking at or else things never change.
No manufacturer wants to be known for bad quality or poor reliability. FCA/Stellantis has worked hard to build a good reputation and they will continue doing so. Competition and sales encourage manufacturers to improve. The EcoDiesel was such a huge success that Ram/Jeep now have continued the 3.0L diesel in the Ram, Wrangler, and Gladiator.

If I have to love my truck to be on a truck forum than I think this forum is a joke.
Being on the forum gives you more information to determine if keeping the truck is worth it to you.

can't chime in because we had engine failures lol. Good grief
Did a forum moderator tell you not to chime in? There are plenty of people who share their negative experiences or displeasure. That's not an issue until it becomes the focus of every post.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
917 Posts
Watch yourself this is a forum where you could get ridiculed because some people here have the perfect truck. Never gives grief. You can't call a spade a spade even if you own all mopar lol.
The only ones I have seen ridiculed are the first time posters who claim to have had an engine failure and attempt to rabble rouse the group in joining their lawsuit. They claim to have definitive proof and evidence proving the cause of ED engine failures. Additionally, they claim to be some sort of diesel expert/engineer with inside industry knowledge that will make their lawsuit a sure thing. Their lawyer is always reputed to be versed and highly experienced in obtaining favorable tort decisions against the evil auto corporations.

They have reared their heads from time to time, especially during the FCA Dieselgate. Their ranting and raving is always predictable and comical. Their posts last about three weeks and there is never a follow up about any successful torts.

Legitimate posters seeking help in resolving problems for the most part are welcomed to forum and given advise on dealing with their particular problem.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
The only ones I have seen ridiculed are the first time posters who claim to have had an engine failure and attempt to rabble rouse the group in joining their lawsuit. They claim to have definitive proof and evidence proving the cause of ED engine failures. Additionally, they claim to be some sort of diesel expert/engineer with inside industry knowledge that will make their lawsuit a sure thing. Their lawyer is always reputed to be versed and highly experienced in obtaining favorable tort decisions against the evil auto corporations.
Here is the most recent one: (37) 134k Eco DieselEngine Failure | RAM 1500 Diesel Forum

[email protected]
Registered
Joined 1 mo ago
Last seen 1 mo ago

He hasn't been back on since!

Reactions: Dieselfever

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
Watch yourself this is a forum where you could get ridiculed because some people here have the perfect truck. Never gives grief. You can't call a spade a spade even if you own all mopar lol.
Everyone can feel free to express their own opinion on the forum. It's all in how you take the opinion others wish to share. You need thick skin to participate on forums. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not trying to be a "complainer" here just questioning how "honest" that statement made by "FCAEMPLOYEE" (no possible bias there) can really be?

I think you totally missed the point. I deal in percentages, not bias as you refereed to. I simply stated that to get an "accurate" estimate, one would need the total amount of 3.0 Eco Diesels (including the Grand Cherokees) that are on the road in the states and elsewhere and then get the number of issues reported at the dealerships with this engine failure before anyone to start throwing around percentages with any type of accuracy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
FCAEMPLOYEE you are the one with access to said information on percentage of eco failures. Share some numbers with the forum so we know. Sales of Cherokees with eco engines and 1500's with eco engines along with new complete engines sold or warrantied to replace failures. FCA has the data. Share with your consumers. You have a pile of failed engines at your disposal. I am certain you have figured out something that causes this by now. That might involve admitting guilt and why everything is a secret and the consumer has to pay for complete engines outside of warranty. FCA is concerned about profit margins not about making customers happy when it comes to failed engines. 64000 miles and $17,500 later in Canada and I was thrown to the wolves and couldn't even buy parts to fix mine. Why does your warranty suck worse in Canada? If I lived in the USA I would have had warranty. That works out to 27 cents/mile my cost. I drive 25,000 miles a yr so I should be putting aside an extra $6750/ yr to replace engines? Being Canadian we already pay way more than the USA for same vehicles even with exchange rates by a long shot. I got 2 yr warranty again so 50,000 mile warranty basically.

·
Registered
150 Posts
dookiller, I do not have access to the numbers any more than you do via the internet. My plant did not produce either of the model vehicles that have the 3.0 Eco. As far as paying more because you live in Canada, I can't help with that. I work with the quality side of the finished vehicle in the USA and not VM Motori R&D in Cento Italy. I am in the same situation as everyone else who has purchased a vehicle with the 3.0 Eco. As far as me knowing the issue, I can only make an educated guess based on my years of building all kinds of engines. My best guess summed up in one word is "tolerance" with regards to the main bearings. What I can tell you is this, the change to the 5W-40 Rotella and the ECU update might buy you some time but it is not the fix. Part of the update holds the transmission shifts longer and does not like to shift into OD thus raising the oil pressure through rpms but reducing fuel mileage. That along with using the 5W-40 Rotella supplies more oil to the bearings which is a good thing but not a fix for the real issue IMO.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Now that is an answer on engine failure I believe 100%. I agree totally with the low oil pressure due to low rpm under load is the cause myself. This thing has a 2 stage oil pump not? I believe I read this somewhere. My truck had all the updates and when it threw a bearing it was stock. I was using 4wd in snow a month before the failure, checking my grain bags for animal damage, and my truck would shift into 2nd gear and power out before downshifting back into 1st. I had to push the accelerator hard to get it to recover and shift down and it would repeat this process all over again to avoiding getting stuck. The rpms were extremely low. I did this one time and never since because I didn't want to stop and shift to 4L and stop getting stuck. I learned that 4 low was a must in snow a foot deep from that day. The shift curve on this transmission under load was terrible. Maybe tow haul mode might have prevented this but wasn't towing or hauling. Going down the hwy it always got extremely good mileage but always kept the rpm low using the torque to accelerate at low rpm. I believe that this one event coupled with its hwy habits with my 3:55 gearing was the engines demise. With my new engine I threw all that out the window and did a full egr dpf delete with a shift program that maintains far higher shift rpm with engine braking etc. 2 stage engine warm up as well. Starts and idles for 20-30 seconds then 1200 rpm then if really cold out 1400 rpm until a certain temp is achieved. It will do this if you drive it out side from a +20C garage and park it in - 35C outside running right after. The shifting never puts the engine under load like before. So that being said who is to blame for the original engine failure? I didn't program the transmission shift sequence that FCA put in. Seems to me that so much headache could have been avoided with more oil pressure. The oil pressure gauge is a lie in real world from what I read on this forum after the fact. My old school brain looks at the gauge and believe everything is fine. Operating equipment for 10's of thousands of hrs my whole life I pay attention to oil pressure in all scenarios. After the first engines came in with bearing failures and assumptions were made to switch to 5W-40, and failures still came in like my 2016 with 5w-40, why didn't FCA simply change the oil pump to feed more oil or change the shift curve, Nobody is going to tell me they didn't know the likely cause of these failures. They weighed the cost of taking responsibility admitting they had a problem and recalling them or take their chances throwing life long customers under the bus. Yes I am pissed still a yr later. Not even just because of the money it cost but the fact that all of this could have been taken care of much earlier but wasn't. Just like the voice command which is utterly a joke in all FCA vehicles. Why are things not addressed instantly. Yrs and yrs must go by to the point of it has to be embarassing watching your product on youtube like on the fastlane truck trying to use your voice recognition on Ford and Chev and Ram and they know that Ram sucks everytime regardless for yrs and yrs compared to the other manufacturers. Why charge people for something that NEVER NEVER works. Something in FCA needs to change.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like you are more faithful than me because if I had your same issue with my truck, I would have burned it on a country road and not spend good money after bad and bought a Cummins. Whether it be my maintenance regiment or just plain luck I have not had a single issue with mine. I sure miss the power of my Cummins though but not the ride

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Whether it be my maintenance regiment or just plain luck I have not had a single issue with mine.
My wife and I love our 2015 Ram EcoDiesel so much that we bought a 2020 Ram EcoDiesel. 😁 So far, we've been happy with both trucks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am experiencing the same issue as the original poster. I have a 2015 with 112k miles, got low oil pressure light as I was coming into a town, pulled over within a block and checked the oil. The oil read above the max level and had a diesel odor to it, I had checked the oil about a month ago and it was between the normal lines (oil was changed around 5000 miles ago). I attempted to start it once, it started right up, but I might be imagining it, but it seemed to have a slightly different sound and low oil pressure flash back on, I turned off the engine and had it towed 100 miles home.

Its going to be looked at by the dodge dealer next week. Any insight why it would get fuel in there? It also threw a check engine light on and had codes about intake manifold clogged and cruise control.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Keep us posted.

It's possible that you had an injector that was stuck open. Do you run a fuel additive?
I was getting less fuel mileage, but that is always been that case in winter, so nothing jumped out at me, but wasn't paying attention either. I don't run any fuel additives, I do have winter grille cover that I use, but normally the truck isn't driven under 20 degrees. I just end up taking my wife's suv as it is comes out of warm garage.

I don't really think I had any less power, its always been laggy since the AEM.

A friend told me to take out the dipstick and drop some oil on a piece of white paper, it instantly makes a lighter colored circle around the dark oil. I am not sure how scientific that test is, but it definitely has a diesel smell to it.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
I don't run any fuel additives
You probably have fuel dilution due to a faulty injector. You really should be running a fuel additive to help clean your injectors. I would change your oil ASAP.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just read a CTV article about Toronto owner of an ecodiesel being denied warranty at 91,000 km. $19,000 bill. 3rd party oil change never reset the change oil gauge back to 100%. How many times has stellantis and FCA backed out on people with this happening lol. Never seen his oil but regardless it's black with all the emissions crap on there anyway. Just because the oil change hasn't been reset doesn't mean the oil hasn't been changed. I change mine at half the life then run it with new oil til it reaches 0% from 50%. I suppose they could do an oil analysis but with a blown engine it will show trouble and bad oil regardless.

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
Just read a CTV article about Toronto owner of an ecodiesel being denied warranty at 91,000 km. $19,000 bill. 3rd party oil change never reset the change oil gauge back to 100%. How many times has stellantis and FCA backed out on people with this happening lol. Never seen his oil but regardless it's black with all the emissions crap on there anyway. Just because the oil change hasn't been reset doesn't mean the oil hasn't been changed. I change mine at half the life then run it with new oil til it reaches 0% from 50%. I suppose they could do an oil analysis but with a blown engine it will show trouble and bad oil regardless.
I would think a receipt for the oil and filter change would be enough proof to satisfy the warranty requirements. I wonder if there's not more to the story.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts