RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am being told I need a new engine and it is not under warranty (metal material in oil pan). There is definitely fuel in the oil, but the dealer doesn't seem to want to investigate it further past installing a new engine. When I initially checked the oil it was above the max line and onto the ribbed part. What should I investigate to figure out why fuel made it into the oil. The initial poster seemed to have the exact same problem and looks to have gotten most of it covered by AEM warranty.

The engine is throwing codes for p200a, p200b, p2d2d, and p2d2e - It looks related to intake manifolds and swirl vales. Can this have any cause of the fuel?

Its frustrating because I went to great lengths to do all the maintenance on time, I wasn't planning on upgrading trucks for at least a couple years.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
The initial poster seemed to have the exact same problem and looks to have gotten most of it covered by AEM warranty.
Is your truck still covered under the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty?

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
No it has 114k. My issue I think is very similar to original poster as he will able to use aem warranty to cover a significant amount.
The AEM warranty doesn't cover replacement engines. I don't know what justification was used to help pay for a big part of the OP's replacement engine. I can only assume that one or more of his fuel injectors failed which caused fuel dilution. Since fuel injectors are covered under the AEM warranty, FCA/Stellantis may have felt partially responsible for the engine failure. That's only a guess.

Reactions: TexasJoe and 97hmcs

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Does anyone know if the engine they use for the replacement is new or remanufactured. Dealer tells me it's Reman. Some on FB say new. Reman explains the 2 year warranty. I waited 10 weeks and should get it back in the next couple days. May go order a 2022 Night Edition and take that 32k they're offering for mine.

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
Does anyone know if the engine they use for the replacement is new or remanufactured. Dealer tells me it's Reman. Some on FB say new. Reman explains the 2 year warranty. I waited 10 weeks and should get it back in the next couple days. May go order a 2022 Night Edition and take that 32k they're offering for mine.
I've only heard of "new" replacements. Probably not cost effective to rebuild.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Does anyone know if the engine they use for the replacement is new or remanufactured.
Replacement engines covered under warranty are NEW, not remanufactured. When replaced under warranty, the engine is typically only warranted for the remainder of the 5 year/100,000-mile warranty. For example, if someone loses an engine at 4 years and 75,000 miles, the owner only has a 1 year/25,000 miles left on their new engine warranty.

If an engine is installed outside of warranty, then the Mopar 3 year/100,000-mile warranty goes into effect.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I felt that to be true considering the "cost" they quote and how many systems they would have to evaluate to sufficiently rehabilitate one when they don't do much to diagnose root cause of failure. I will make sure to inquire about what warranty I get since I recall something shorter being detailed. I can't thank you enough for those answers. You are a valuable asset to the community and I appreciate it. My service adviser, on the other hand, has an expletive nickname from the two times I've had to resort to him and probably drives people from the brand.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Replacement engines covered under warranty are NEW, not remanufactured. When replaced under warranty, the engine is typically only warranted for the remainder of the 5 year/100,000-mile warranty. For example, if someone loses an engine at 4 years and 75,000 miles, the owner only has a 1 year/25,000 miles left on their new engine warranty.

If an engine is installed outside of warranty, then the Mopar 3 year/100,000-mile warranty goes into effect.
Good explanation biodiesel. I actually benefited from this as the engine was replaced with new unit in my 2015 at 40k~. This was December 2020, my powertrain warranty expired in August 2020. However my issues were occurring while I was under warranty. I was told 3yr/100k warranty in the new engine. It was a very frustrating process, but dealer made it right in the end!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't think anyone believes the 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel is the perfect truck. I think most people who frequent the forum are those who love their truck and want to have productive conversations. Complaining or bashing on the EcoDiesel isn't solution oriented. The complainers need to sell their trucks and move on. The rest of us are here to have honest conversations while being optimistic and proactive about owning our trucks.
I agree 200%.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't think anyone believes the 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel is the perfect truck. I think most people who frequent the forum are those who love their truck and want to have productive conversations. Complaining or bashing on the EcoDiesel isn't solution oriented. The complainers need to sell their trucks and move on. The rest of us are here to have honest conversations while being optimistic and proactive about owning our trucks.
I agree 200%.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You don't see many engine failures anymore coming from the 2014 - 2016 trucks, but if you visit the EcoDiesel Facebook page, you'll see quite a few engine failures coming from the 2017 - 2019 trucks. VM Motori has a quality control issue, and they apparently don't know how to fix it. Now that I've hit 100,000 miles on my 2015, I hope to be in the 90% who have a good long-lasting engine. (y)
Our 2015 engine failed January 2, 2022 at 124K, went to the shop January 3rd and we just got it back yesterday. I have not talked to my husband yet to see what the initial finding was when they took the engine out. I guess it will be analyzed further at Dodge to find out what the issue was.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only ones I have seen ridiculed are the first time posters who claim to have had an engine failure and attempt to rabble rouse the group in joining their lawsuit. They claim to have definitive proof and evidence proving the cause of ED engine failures. Additionally, they claim to be some sort of diesel expert/engineer with inside industry knowledge that will make their lawsuit a sure thing. Their lawyer is always reputed to be versed and highly experienced in obtaining favorable tort decisions against the evil auto corporations.

They have reared their heads from time to time, especially during the FCA Dieselgate. Their ranting and raving is always predictable and comical. Their posts last about three weeks and there is never a follow up about any successful torts.

Legitimate posters seeking help in resolving problems for the most part are welcomed to forum and given advise on dealing with their particular problem.
Well you know it is really frustrating that a truck that had minimal issues goes in for recalls and than for the next 1.5 year goes into the shop minimum once a month, multiple times for 5-7 weeks. The Service Manager suggesting a new engine after replacing countless items and in December after having it for 7 weeks we get our truck back and they tell you "we believe we have fixed the issue". And within 2 weeks of getting your truck back Engine Failure! Not covered, order a replacement engine on January 3rd and finally get your truck back May 25. All the while doing countless hours of research, finding others with similar issues, did the Service Manager know what was going to happen to our truck but didn't have the authority to make the decision to replace the engine. Thank goodness we had a green slip and had to pay just under 10K. Not sue happy just don't want to be screwed, what has happed with the EcoDeisel is bad business. I bet you'd be all Rainbows and Sunshine!

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,319 Posts
Ive not even been able to find a local diesel mechanic as of yet that will work on it if I have an issue..
I was at a local diesel shop last week. Asked they manager if they worked on ecodiesels he looked at mine sitting out in the lot and got an uneasy look and said uuuggghhhh maybe depending on what it is. I told him mine was fine just wondering if they worked on them he said, in that case no, and if yours runs fine sell it!

Well shoot I’m keeping it, it’s been a solid pickup.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Maybe we should start a thread documenting the name of reputable shops and mechanics who are willing to work on the EcoDiesel. My diesel tech, for example, works on EcoDiesel engines all the time and seems to enjoy it. In his opinion, the EcoDiesel has its known issues, but overall, he thinks it's a good engine. As a dealer tech, he's seen plenty of high mileage EcoDiesel trucks/Jeeps in his shop with very few issues.

Well shoot I’m keeping it, it’s been a solid pickup.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. My 2015 is almost paid off, therefore each month with no repairs is money saved. In a worst-case scenario, a new engine is still cheaper than buying a new truck. A new truck today would cost me nearly $4,000 just in taxes!

Reactions: 1shadowsabre
41 - 56 of 56 Posts