RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Do you know if your engine will still rotate? If it's seized ask them about how they are going to get the engine separated from the transmission if the engine doesn't spin. All the bolts between the flywheel and the torque converter can't be reached without being able to rotate the engine. They had to cut the flywheel apart on mine to get them apart. :oops: Curious if they need to do the same to yours.
That sounds like a pain. The truck still ran and drove (barely) when I brought it in so I would think the engine will turn. Hopefully I won't have that issue.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sounds like you probably had a bad dealer in the first place . FCA has been known to step up and take pretty good care of their customers . Keep us posted .

·
Registered
482 Posts
Glad this worked out for you. Man, what stress though for you and your family which was totally unneeded and avoidable.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Congrats....... you put up a classy fight and I'm sure that helped in the end. It will be interesting to see if they put in a new one with the recalled EGR cooler or delay your motor job till they have the newly revised EGR. Time will tell. Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm also happy to hear the good news.
I think we all expected this ending since the initial ruling was so unreasonable.
It should never have been denied in the first place.
I think so many, like me, were interested in the outcome since it hits close to home and could have happened to any of us.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why change your oil at 10,000 miles//16,000 kms? Depending on how you use your truck, you may need to change it earlier. Someone who tows and works his truck harder will need to change oil earlier than someone who like me tows a 3200 lbs camper for a short period of time in the summer and the rest of the year use it as a daily commuter vehicle and I change my oil 8,000 miles//13,000 kms. The oil change indicator is at 20% oil life remaining when I change my oil on my 2015 Ram. Been doing that on all my vehicles and never had any engine problems.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Good news that FCA came through!

One thing to consider for anybody else going through this. 10000 is an arbitrary number. If anyone ever has to deal with this again ask FCA to provide the testing data that they used to come up with this number. If the service manual said 10356 or 9634 miles then maybe their case could be stronger. Their are tons of examples in the real world of arbitrary numbers in use..."let dry for 24 hours before use" etc....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Rotella T6 now has the 15w40 available. What difference would 15W40 have on the engine vs the recommended 5w40?
my gut guess and worry is that the stealership used dino grade cheap 15w40

·
Registered
380 Posts
Again, I’m not sure everyone is picking up what I’m saying, it’s not normal dirt and road grime or even dirt on the inside, I’m saying blatant disregard for the care of the vehicle, maybe a pig stye ir cow pie or something. I have personally worked on vehicles that warranties were voided on due to blatant disregard for the vehicle. For example, a customer brought their truck in, year was 2012, truck was a 2010 Cummins 2500 with an oil consumption issue (turbo). Truck had 55k miles on it, but if you took a look at it not a single panel was straight, not a single tire matched, and the back part of the tail pipe was smashed to about a quarter of the size as it should have been. On top of that you get in the vehicle and there’s fast food bags, beer cans and trash littered throughout, transmission was slipping and front end wobbled like there was no tomorrow. Needless to say, said customer tried to get dealership to warranty the work that needed done. Dealership would not do it and we were hard pressed to do the work too. Poor truck probably never had an oil change in its life. I don’t know, all we were authorized to do is top it off.
This is an example of the neglect needed to void a warranty and this type of neglect I do not feel sorry for a person getting their warranty voided. If you feel differently you’re entitled to your opinion, as an I on mine, because I formed this opinion on what I have personally seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How does fast food effect the turbo? Dealership assumes, without proof, of oil changes based on trash inside the car or dirty paint.

·
Registered
717 Posts
How does fast food effect the turbo? Dealership assumes, without proof, of oil changes based on trash inside the car or dirty paint.
It doesn’t, but how you take care of your vehicle can and will affect warranty coverage, try it, take crappy care of your truck and have no regard for it, see how it works out for you. I explained a circumstance where I saw a dealer deny a warranty based on how vehicle was cared for. Go ahead and shoot the messenger.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Again, I’m not sure everyone is picking up what I’m saying, it’s not normal dirt and road grime or even dirt on the inside, I’m saying blatant disregard for the care of the vehicle, maybe a pig stye ir cow pie or something. I have personally worked on vehicles that warranties were voided on due to blatant disregard for the vehicle. For example, a customer brought their truck in, year was 2012, truck was a 2010 Cummins 2500 with an oil consumption issue (turbo). Truck had 55k miles on it, but if you took a look at it not a single panel was straight, not a single tire matched, and the back part of the tail pipe was smashed to about a quarter of the size as it should have been. On top of that you get in the vehicle and there’s fast food bags, beer cans and trash littered throughout, transmission was slipping and front end wobbled like there was no tomorrow. Needless to say, said customer tried to get dealership to warranty the work that needed done. Dealership would not do it and we were hard pressed to do the work too. Poor truck probably never had an oil change in its life. I don’t know, all we were authorized to do is top it off.
This is an example of the neglect needed to void a warranty and this type of neglect I do not feel sorry for a person getting their warranty voided. If you feel differently you’re entitled to your opinion, as an I on mine, because I formed this opinion on what I have personally seen.

I think I misunderstood the thread or just skimming through. Yes there is a difference between neglect and not being clean, agree. Mine is dirty from November to May basically lol.

·
Registered
117 Posts
As others have stated, congrats and I believe much of your success is based on being reasonable, respectful and level headed. Had you blown up and went straight to Def-Con 4, I doubt the outcome would have been favorable. Or at least would have cost more money in the form of lawyers, etc. to get to this point. Good on you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So, after reading this thread, its time for first oil change on my truck! I have 9650 miles on it, I don't want to go over 10000. Have the filter (OEM) and correct oil (Rotella T6 5W-40), not crazy hot today in South Florida, so I think I will change oil today and document fully!

·
Registered
383 Posts
So, after reading this thread, its time for first oil change on my truck! I have 9650 miles on it, I don't want to go over 10000. Have the filter (OEM) and correct oil (Rotella T6 5W-40), not crazy hot today in South Florida, so I think I will change oil today and document fully!
Funny, here in the Northeast, we look for a day right now that's not crazy cold instead..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Funny, here in the Northeast, we look for a day right now that's not crazy cold instead..
Justind, I lived in Connecticut for 51 years, moved to Florida 3 years ago. I know EXACTLY what you mean. I am done shoveling snow!

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
my gut guess and worry is that the stealership used dino grade cheap 15w40
According to those in the know (GDE) the ecodiesel was designed and developed to run on 15w40. There are many users who use 15w40. Before I bought my ecodiesel I spoke to a guy that drove one as a work truck his company had a small fleet of ecodiesels that ran nothing but delo 15w40 and had lots of miles with no issues. Im not going to say all oil is oil, but its somewhat making mountains out of mole hills.

121 - 140 of 172 Posts