RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
What the hell is going on with these engines? How does an engine make it to 47,000 miles with an underlying manufacturer defect? It seems like it would have blown a long time ago. There is definitely something that FCA knows about our trucks/engines that we don't considering they completely redesigned Gen3 engines.
The prior post that had the emails from FCA to the EPA stated that FCA thinks (assumes or evidence based?) that the main bearings fail due to oil viscosity. Solution (or guess) was to change from 5w30 to 5w40 oil. What other engines have you ever heard of being that picky on oil viscosity? How did the engine ever pass lab testing with the 5w30 oil if the problem is the oil? Forum evidence of some owners still using 5w30 without failure and new trucks with correct 5w40 having failure tells me that FCA took a guess that the problem was oil. Or at the very least FCA calculated that thicker 5w40 oil would mitigate some of the failures until after warranty time.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Pretty sure when warranty is up im going to go to a 7000 mile oil change and run a 15w40 oil. Ill use UOA to go from there.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The prior post that had the emails from FCA to the EPA stated that FCA thinks (assumes or evidence based?) that the main bearings fail due to oil viscosity. Solution (or guess) was to change from 5w30 to 5w40 oil. What other engines have you ever heard of being that picky on oil viscosity? How did the engine ever pass lab testing with the 5w30 oil if the problem is the oil? Forum evidence of some owners still using 5w30 without failure and new trucks with correct 5w40 having failure tells me that FCA took a guess that the problem was oil. Or at the very least FCA calculated that thicker 5w40 oil would mitigate some of the failures until after warranty time.
I think they switched to 5w40 to try to minimize failures however as we have seen that wasn't the root issue..

·
Registered
255 Posts
Pretty sure when warranty is up im going to go to a 7000 mile oil change and run a 15w40 oil. Ill use UOA to go from there.

This looks like fantastic oil and carries Chrysler MS 10902 , Cummins CES20086, CES20081 etc

·
Registered
220 Posts
40 weight oil is 40 weight mostly regardless if its 0w40, 5w40, 15w40. Check out the amsoil sheet on it https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3467.pdf to compare. Nearly all of the oil in that series have the same manufacture ratings/approval and testing about the same on wear/scar test. I am using this amsoil series in 5w30 with factory oil change life meter.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Pennzoil is Shell or SOPUS, Shell oil products United States, Shell also owns Rotella brand products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
The purpose for taking an oil analysis is to see what's going on inside the engine. It doesn't matter when you pull the sample. Once you establish a baseline, it's good to be consistent on when you pull the sample so that you can compare samples.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am doing UOA as a safety check. Maybe just maybe if I am in the 2-4% of failures that a UOA change will come back with metal before it detonates. Then I put it on a trailer to the stealership, unload 1 mile from dealership and trade it it.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts