RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Engine Failure

1086 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  2016PLMKRZ
I have a 2016 1500 ecodiesel. The engine just threw a rod and now the engine needs to be replaced. It is out of warranty and the extended warranty from the settlement doestn cover it. Has anyone else had engine failure after the warranty expired? If so what did you end up doing. Dealership quoted me $18,500 to replace engine.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Canadian or us? Find a local diesel shop to do it. Dealers are nuts
Canadian or us? Find a local diesel shop to do it. Dealers are nuts
US. First local shop said about 15,000. Just trying to see if it’s worth replacing the engine or not.
US. First local shop said about 15,000. Just trying to see if it’s worth replacing the engine or not.
This depends on several factors. How many miles on the truck, condition of rest of truck and is it paid off etc. Do you otherwise like/love the truck? If you buy a new replacement, obviously they are quite pricey.
Reactions: 3
Replace engine or sell the truck as is.

$18k their taking you for a ride.

Some reading -

My 2016 Longhorn spun the bearing on 4/8/2023 with 119k. It cost me $14,599.06 to replace the engine. Now I have a 3yr/100k mile warranty. Mine was paid off and in excellent condition. Mine was also fully loaded. Cattle brown/Black interior, 4x4, 4 corner air suspension, Ramboxes, moonroof. New truck would cost me $77k+. The whole process and pics are in the thread above. Love my truck, so easy decision for me.
Reactions: 5
My 2016 Longhorn spun the bearing on 4/8/2023 with 119k. It cost me $14,599.06 to replace the engine. Now I have a 3yr/100k mile warranty. Mine was paid off and in excellent condition. Mine was also fully loaded. Cattle brown/Black interior, 4x4, 4 corner air suspension, Ramboxes, moonroof. New truck would cost me $77k+. The whole process and pics are in the thread above. Love my truck, so easy decision for me.
Hi: 2016PLMKRZ. Your truck sounds just like mine, but no air suspense or Ramboxes Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design
. I'm still stock and at close to 140,000 kilometers the suspense of "The big bang" is killing ME!!!.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
See less See more
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
I have 192k on mine and I love it. Been thinking if the engine goes out I'll just have a new one in. Easy to say but the economics of the current market will definitely make you think.
It's by far the nicest truck I've ever owned and the $75-80,000 it would take to replace it at its trim level is something I wont do. I hope I dont have to make that decision anytime soon though. I've even though about "what if the transmission dies?" I think thats about $5000, but worth it my mind right now.
Reactions: 4
I have 192k on mine and I love it.
191k on my '16 Laramie. I'd probably replace the engine, but I don't worry about it.
191k on my '16 Laramie. I'd probably replace the engine, but I don't worry about it.
Spring fever and "forum paranoia" had me considering a move. But it doesnt make sense now, so I picked up an old 2nd hand truck for a back up for any of our vehicles that may need repairs here or there. It should buy us the time to make any repairs on our timeline and not be rushed or get screwed by any dealership service departments.
One thing I've always wondered about is what local independant diesel mechanic shops have experience with Ecodiesels and can be trusted? Baton Rouge area
I have a 2016 1500 ecodiesel. The engine just threw a rod and now the engine needs to be replaced. It is out of warranty and the extended warranty from the settlement doestn cover it. Has anyone else had engine failure after the warranty expired? If so what did you end up doing. Dealership quoted me $18,500 to replace engine.
Just replaced my engine last month. Cam gear spun on the camshaft causing instant total destruction. My cost was $17,318.78 for a new engine. Driving a 2017 Laramie crew cab 4x4 w/ tow package. Cost of a new engine was unpleasant, but the cost of a new truck starting at $65K was not doable at this time. Also consider that the trade-in value of a truck with a blown engine would likely be reduced by the dealer's cost of replacing the engine.

Good luck with the truck and your decision.
Reactions: 1
Just replaced my engine last month. Cam gear spun on the camshaft causing instant total destruction. My cost was $17,318.78 for a new engine. Driving a 2017 Laramie crew cab 4x4 w/ tow package. Cost of a new engine was unpleasant, but the cost of a new truck starting at $65K was not doable at this time. Also consider that the trade-in value of a truck with a blown engine would likely be reduced by the dealer's cost of replacing the engine.

Good luck with the truck and your decision.
How long did it take them to get your new engine? My local dealer said that they had a new engine on hand but they were all recalled for quality control issues and the new ETA is 4 - 6 weeks out.

Also, curious if you remember the price breakdown between the engine/parts and labor?
New crate engine is $8900 + with 100k warranty + $750 shipping. $9k in labor seems a bit out of line. I'd be talking to diesel shops.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
How long did it take them to get your new engine? My local dealer said that they had a new engine on hand but they were all recalled for quality control issues and the new ETA is 4 - 6 weeks out.

Also, curious if you remember the price breakdown between the engine/parts and labor?
It took about 10 days for the engine to come in. It was $10.4k for the engine and another $100 or so for some miscellaneous bolts. I asked them to put a new serpentine belt and fuel filter on the truck. Labor and taxes was the rest.
It took about 10 days for the engine to come in. It was $10.4k for the engine and another $100 or so for some miscellaneous bolts. I asked them to put a new serpentine belt and fuel filter on the truck. Labor and taxes was the rest.
Still cheaper than buying a new truck...
Still cheaper than buying a new truck...
Yessir!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts