RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new owner of one of these trucks I am very intrigued with the GDE tune for all the reasons that are very well represented here. I have one question ... has anyone had a catastrophic failure on a tuned engine? Being that mine is brand new if tuning will prevent failures that is of interest to me. I would like to hear your opinions...thanks. BTW...I am an ase master tech and plan on doing all my own service/maintenance. It seems that preventing soot buildup will greatly increase the engine life.

·
Registered
601 Posts
" no engine failure with tune" very hard statement. But chances of failure next to none with a good tune is more appropriate.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
GDE used to totally shut off the EGR. That was a real bonus.

Now the new GDE tune coming out is an EPA approved version. It will reduce the EGR soot pollution but not completely.

Reactions: Jinx

·
Registered
791 Posts
I asked my service manager what he thought of tuning. He said if he owned one it would be tuned, like his Duramax. Still, nobody has come up with a solid answer why some have catastrophic bearing failures. Darned glad I got mine tuned at 5,000 miles. Now at 90.000 miles, oil testing shows almost no wear and very low soot with 10,000 mile oil changes. Sorry, didn't answer your question, yes some have failed with a tune, but seems like a way fewer percentage. Burning up because of a bad EGR cooler design, oil pump failing, etc. won't be affected by a tune.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided after reading all the info I could find that the GDE EPA compliant tune is the best option for me. My two main goals are to improve drive-ability and prevent soot buildup issues so I have ordered the kit. This truck has a noticeable lag under normal acceleration, especially when cold. You have to roll into the throttle to get it to accelerate smoothly, if you step on it from a stop it takes a second or two then really goes. Maybe three seconds until it fully warms up. Coming from a V-8 Silverado it's taking some getting used to. So I will be installing it next week and I will post the results. I feel that if I am going to do this I might as well do it while it is new and hopefully keep it out of the dealership shop. Why wait, right?

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
The topic of deletes and tuning is kind of like a doctor visit.

So many don't bother to go to the doctor because it can be time-consuming, expensive and you are getting by with the problem. Then the problem gets worse and it can be too late.

If something is screwy, like factory emissions, struggle with it or fix the issue.

Reactions: KRom

·
Registered
410 Posts
GDE used to totally shut off the EGR. That was a real bonus.

Now the new GDE tune coming out is an EPA approved version. It will reduce the EGR soot pollution but not completely.
There's a difference between being epa compliant and epa approved, gde is epa compliant, they no longer are breaking epa compliance.

GDE's quote
Refer to EPA Memo 1A for EPA guidelines. They do not give EO's for the aftermarket. You must demonstrate compliance on all EPA mandated emission test requirements (FTP75, HWFEC, US06, and SC03 test cycles). This must be completed at an EPA approved emission certification lab. There might be 50-100 labs that can do this in the US. There happens to be about 15 in the metro Detroit area where we are based. The testing is very expensive and that is why we might be the first diesel tune that meets EPA requirements, not many want to make the investment.

CARB EO is still the same set of emission tests as EPA with same standards. CARB also requires data on the flash tool device, and an OBD demonstration. This includes installing the tune, then clearing all the emission readiness bits. Now drive until the readiness is all set. Use Silverscan log pre and post record the data from vehicle for mode 6 readiness. That monitors must pass. I feel this is a bit more work than really necessary and problematic on the GM Colorado. The Ram sets readiness for all systems within 500 miles worst case. GM does not run the monitors very often with factory tune and it can take up to 1800 miles of driving to set all the monitors. This is burdensome as some of the GM monitors are designed around the emission cycles and do not readily run in normal day to day driving.

We have posted our emission results on our website for all to see. If the EPA wants to spot check us, it will be welcomed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct me if I am wrong, but my read on it is that by GDE tunes being EPA compliant they will not get shut down again by providing a product that improves the operation and longevity of these engines. If customers were having major issues there would not be overwhelming positive experiences out there. I have not been able to find anyone that bought their product and later wanted it removed from their vehicle. If there are negative experiences I would like to know about them. I got such a good deal on this new truck I can justify the expense if it makes it a better driving truck with less chance of problems down the road. The best warranty is the one you never has to use!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more thing....if the EPA really wanted to reduce emissions from burning diesel they would do something about commercial shipping and cruise ships. One big cruise ship probably puts out more crap than all the ecodiesels on the planet. One report I read said 15 cruise ships pollute more that all the vehicles on the road in the USA combined. I realize they burn bunker when not in port. OK, I'm putting my horse back in the barn. Sorry for the rant...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Two questions, does anyone know if this new GDE tune is CARB complaint? Also, does a tune like this void (or have the potential for the dealer to claim a voided) warranty? Just purchased a 2019 Classic and would be interested

·
Registered
410 Posts
GDE has stated that they are in the process of applying for carb certification, the GDA tune is not in compliance with FCA, it voids your warranty.
Possibly, in the future, FCA and GDE or other tuners and could partner up and offer tunes that were factory compliant, BMW, Volvo, Mercedes, Audi etc offer factory backed tunes.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
GDE has stated that they are in the process of applying for carb certification, the GDA tune is not in compliance with FCA, it voids your warranty.
Possibly, in the future, FCA and GDE or other tuners and could partner up and offer tunes that were factory compliant, BMW, Volvo, Mercedes, Audi etc offer factory backed tunes.
Just FYI, I haven't heard of anyone on here having any warranty issues with tuned trucks.

The dealership would have to prove the tune was the cause of the problem. It has been suggested that it would take a computer programmer to actually find the tune, a dealership isn't going to waste there time on that, they get paid to do warranty work.
Just sayin, it's always a crap shoot. :unsure:

·
Registered
286 Posts
One more thing....if the EPA really wanted to reduce emissions from burning diesel they would do something about commercial shipping and cruise ships. One big cruise ship probably puts out more crap than all the ecodiesels on the planet. One report I read said 15 cruise ships pollute more that all the vehicles on the road in the USA combined. I realize they burn bunker when not in port. OK, I'm putting my horse back in the barn. Sorry for the rant...
I understand they are working on doing just this. Most container ships burn fuel oil, which is far more pollutant than diesel. The EPA is working on forcing other fuels on them. When they do, guess what the majority will burn? Diesel. What do you think this new, HUGE demand for diesel will do to prices? The rental Hemi I'm driving right now is feeling better and better all the time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand they are working on doing just this. Most container ships burn fuel oil, which is far more pollutant than diesel. The EPA is working on forcing other fuels on them. When they do, guess what the majority will burn? Diesel. What do you think this new, HUGE demand for diesel will do to prices? The rental Hemi I'm driving right now is feeling better and better all the time.
Yes, according to IMO 2020 rules it probably will cause fuel prices to rise, but being that shipping uses about 4% of global petroleum supplies how much remains to be seen. Shell and BP are increasing diesel production to meet the increased demand. More likely is that cost of goods being shipped will rise. One thing is for sure, reducing pollution is going to be more expensive across the board. But back to my ED and GDE, I watched a youtube video from ShadyVlogz showing his egr tube and intake after 75,000 km with a GDE tune and it's amazing how clean it is and the engine oil too, compared to other posts and videos of these engines. No one wants to have their engine all sooted up, whether the repairs are under warranty or not. Avoiding the problems to begin with is what I am looking for with the GDE tune. The driveability improvements and mpg gains (which remains to be seen) are just a bonus to me and for my truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts