RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Bottomline is... If a plastic intake can melt from Hot exhaust gases then it can also catch fire if it's bad enough.. Haven't seen a tuned truck catch fire yet.

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
Just did NOT seem right to put a "like" on your first post. Welcome to the forum.

You should have started a new thread as this one is two-years old. Do not be reluctant to do so. Your pictures are good to document the situation. Not common but a few have burned up. Same can be said about other brands. We have had some new aluminum Fords burn and pop to the ground after catching fire. It does happen and actually happened to my stepson while his Ford was parked for the night. You can sure see how bad an aluminum hood can burn. Imagine if it were the entire body.

At least this is something that your insurance can address and not a warranty issue that is being denied. See....At least some good can be made from the bad.

Please come back and keep this forum posted on information you might learn about the cause and how it all turns out. Make a new thread and start it with those pictures.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yeah, there have been quite a few 18-wheelers that have also burned up because of the government-mandated crap. But since most manage to escape death there is not enough of an uproar to get the government to un-mandate the crap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First time post, frequent reader. Sorry for the length, but I want to be accurate. Last week (10/3/17) my 2015 Ecodiesel with 46k miles engine caught on fire. While driving and towing and empty equipment trailer at highway speed ( 55mph ) the engine began to make high pitched knocking noises, followed by partial power, and the truck started decelerating as the engine rpms dropped, then stalled. I re-started the truck and the idle seemed normal, no check engine lights displayed, I was wondering if it was a fuel filter issue causing a lean air/fuel mix or computer issue and began to drive again but quickly realized there was no power, and poor acceleration. The engine began to decrease speed and again stalled, but this time gray, then black smoke came into the cabin through the air vents, and black smoke started rolling out of the front grill and hood seams. Black smoke that smelled like burning diesel in addition to plastic. Quickly adding up the senses produced the fact that I had an engine compartment fire. I happened to have a good sized fire extinguisher in the trailer hitch tool box, without much delay in realizing car fires spread quick and not wanting a fire bomb on the US Route 20 bridge overpass to NYS Route 88, I opened the hood with pin pulled extinguisher in hand and noticed black smoke and flames coming directly from under the plastic cover at the center top of the engine ( the one that covers up the fuel and injector lines). I was able to extinguish the fire in short order. Shaken up a little as this is a first for me, I called for a towing company to take the truck to the dealership. The dealership started to look at it the following morning, they were told to stop work repair until Chrysler could send an investigator. I had a short phone interview on 10/6/17 where basic questions were asked. Monday 10/9/17 an investigator examined the truck. I received a letter today from "Mr. Kon" stating that the investigation result has led them to believe that the fire was not due to manufacturing responsibility. No additional details were offered or disclosed as to cause and would not be offered if requested as that information is proprietary. The truck is entirely stock, no modifications, and has been serviced regularly at the dealership where purchased. No assistance will be offered by Fiat Chrysler of any sort and this will not be covered by the warranty. The cost is on me. I lodged a complaint at several levels today. Chrysler could care less and offers no avenue for discussion. The dealership is shaking their heads in disbelief of the letter. No parts were taken for examination or study (melted wiring harness, melted fuel hoses/lines), without any detail provided, it appears the investigation was entirely superficial. The truth is I want to know why did this happen? It is not normal order to have an engine catch on fire. If there is a 3rd party cause, then what happened? There are many thousands of Ram 1500 Ecodiesel trucks driven daily, at this point I am led to believe each of us have a genuine risk of a fire under the hood above and beyond what is deemed acceptable. Statistically this could be a real rarity or it could be just the beginning and a matter of time for all of these trucks to catch fire. Fiat Chrysler will not pay to repair this engine fire despite still being well within the power train warranty time frame, Fiat Chrysler will not pay partial expense, will not offer to pay for something as simple as a loaner car till the repair is complete, they will not buy the burned vehicle back, they will not communicate any further on the matter. If by choice I will not purchase any FCA vehicle, and based on my experience- I would seriously question anyone in the public buying their product from Chrysler. An engine fire in a 2015 model year 46,000 mile diesel fueled truck under warranty that will not be covered by the manufacturer is not normal. Any other engine fires out there???
We had our 2016 Ram 1500 eco diesel catch fire on March 8th, 2020. Bought it used from Demontrond Oct. 26, 2019. Has recall for EGR that can cause fires and didnt even know about the recall. Apparently recall came out a few days before we purchased the truck and was never notified. And FCA is saying there is no substantiating evidence that it's their responsibility blah, blag blag with no other information about where the fire started or whatever to backup their findings and decision. The truck is a total loss but doesnt cover the full financed price. And why didnt the dealership tell us about the recall. There was actually 2 recalls. One they could have fixed, the other that possibly could start a fire didnt even have a fix for it then. But why werent we told when buying the vehicle?

·
Registered
440 Posts
We had our 2016 Ram 1500 eco diesel catch fire on March 8th, 2020. Bought it used from Demontrond Oct. 26, 2019. Has recall for EGR that can cause fires and didnt even know about the recall. Apparently recall came out a few days before we purchased the truck and was never notified. And FCA is saying there is no substantiating evidence that it's their responsibility blah, blag blag with no other information about where the fire started or whatever to backup their findings and decision. The truck is a total loss but doesnt cover the full financed price. And why didnt the dealership tell us about the recall. There was actually 2 recalls. One they could have fixed, the other that possibly could start a fire didnt even have a fix for it then. But why werent we told when buying the vehicle? View attachment 85914
Those are good questions for your...Attorney

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
We had our 2016 Ram 1500 eco diesel catch fire on March 8th, 2020. Bought it used from Demontrond Oct. 26, 2019. Has recall for EGR that can cause fires and didnt even know about the recall. Apparently recall came out a few days before we purchased the truck and was never notified. And FCA is saying there is no substantiating evidence that it's their responsibility blah, blag blag with no other information about where the fire started or whatever to backup their findings and decision. The truck is a total loss but doesnt cover the full financed price. And why didnt the dealership tell us about the recall. There was actually 2 recalls. One they could have fixed, the other that possibly could start a fire didnt even have a fix for it then. But why werent we told when buying the vehicle? View attachment 85914
Is the purchasing dealer a FCA dealer? If so, then the truck should not have been offered for sale. If not, then the seller has no legal responsibility to inform you of the recalls (IMHO). Let your insurane company fight FCA for the ultimate fault.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Is the purchasing dealer a FCA dealer? If so, then the truck should not have been offered for sale. If not, then the seller has no legal responsibility to inform you of the recalls (IMHO). Let your insurane company fight FCA for the ultimate fault.
It was bought used. Who knows what somebody could have done to that truck ?

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
Well Trina - Welcome . First post.

Kind of wish you had started a new thread as this one is three years old. Then again, you clearly can see from that issue alone that you are not .... alone.

Answer if the seller was a Ram dealership. If so, they are not supposed to sell these today. You did not just buy this today. It may come down to your lack of knowledge about the Generation 2 Ecodiesels as they are. The major issue here is your purchase date. I think October of last year was BEFORE official notification by FCA/Ram of the problem. That would probably absolve a dealer from any responsibility for selling to you.

Sure you can read all the posts done earlier in the three years of this thread and other threads on the topic. The EGR systems burn through and cause fires. Parts to fix them properly are not even available, months after owners and dealers were alerted of this problem.

You did not know. Back then the dealer may not have been informed either. I'm guessing you were never notified by Ram/FCA as the new owner of the vehicle. Any conclusion is probably with your insurance company.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me along with the same BS letter from the OP. This just happened to me on Oct 27. My truck was a 2016 and only had 87000 miles on it. I was driving to work and no load on the truck. I called FCA and they immediately sent out an investigator. A day later after the "thorough" investigation, I received an email with "sorry for your loss...blah, blah, blah...". "We are not responsible and all claims should go through your insurance". I did. Now my truck is a total loss. After insurance payment, I only got back $2000 for my "investment " in the vehicle. I only needed a 2 years left to pay it off. Now I need to start over with another truck.. it was supposed to be my forever vehicle (until the wheels fall off) and now i need to start all over. And what to do?? Get another ecodiesel and hope that it doesn't burn up?? Nope, especially since all that FCA is going to say is sorry for your loss? I have had Dodges mostly my whole life, but I would be stupid to get another Dodge or ecodiesel. FCA will not stand by there product or had a solution to the recall. My apologies, I'm still angry and left some details out about the recall. I took it in twice and couldn't get the repair because the part was on Back Order FOR 7 TO 9 MONTHS! The dealership told me becareful driving it or park it until the repair is completed. Park ir for a year?? I need to work. And a loaner was obviously denied. So I drove because I had to. Well 3 months later and the fire happened. So I did a little researching, there is already a class action lawsuit that is in the beginning stages and I signed up with them. It is the same lawyers that sued FCA for the emissions scandal. Im stuck without a truck that i love, almost paid off, nothing to show for my investment and now I'm forced to by another brand that I won't be 100% happy with. I'm so angry at FCA. I'm not a sue happy person, actually I detest it. However, I can't let this go. FCA ruined my plans of 6 years in the making. Now I need to start over.

·
Administrator
8,947 Posts
Sorry to hear about the fire and your loss. These types of claims will always go through your insurance company and they will subrogate with FCA if they choose to do so. Perhaps you will be taken care of with the Class Action.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear about the fire and your loss. These types of claims will always go through your insurance company and they will subrogate with FCA if they choose to do so. Perhaps you will be taken care of with the Class Action.
I hope so, but as a loyal brand fanatic and a customer for years, you would think that FCA would take better care of us. I know this is just the legal action that they have to follow to protect themselves, however it is not right. Better planning should have been enacted by FCA. Instead all FCA did was slap loyal customers in the face. It really is a sad situation. I can't trust that FCA will take care of the customers on their own free will without a class action lawsuit. I really want to purchase another Ecodiesel, but I can't trust it that it won't happen again. It would be very stupid and nieve to trust them going forward. It really is a shame. I love the Ram brand but I no longer trust the vehicle or the brand. Im sure I'm not the only one and FCA will feel the loss of business. It only affected the Ecodiesel customers. Most people don't do research that deeply into vehicles when purchasing. There are many more ecodiesels for sale and I cringe to think this can happen to anyone at anytime. Im glad I was alone when it happened and not with my family. Also, that I wasn't on a long trip in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hope so, but as a loyal brand fanatic and a customer for years, you would think that FCA would take better care of us. I know this is just the legal action that they have to follow to protect themselves, however it is not right. Better planning should have been enacted by FCA. Instead all FCA did was slap loyal customers in the face. It really is a sad situation. I can't trust that FCA will take care of the customers on their own free will without a class action lawsuit. I really want to purchase another Ecodiesel, but I can't trust it that it won't happen again. It would be very stupid and nieve to trust them going forward. It really is a shame. I love the Ram brand but I no longer trust the vehicle or the brand. Im sure I'm not the only one and FCA will feel the loss of business. It only affected the Ecodiesel customers. Most people don't do research that deeply into vehicles when purchasing. There are many more ecodiesels for sale and I cringe to think this can happen to anyone at anytime. Im glad I was alone when it happened and not with my family. Also, that I wasn't on a long trip in the middle of nowhere.
Typo....I meant to say the FCA WILL NOT feel the loss of business.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I already did everything through my insurance. Where I hold FCA responsible is that I received the recall, but when I went in twice to get it done, there were no parts for 7-9 months as quoted by the dealership. "I'm now on the list and will be called when it part is available. We advise you to not drive your vehicle until the repair is done". 7-9 months on a vehicle that I use for work to just be parked. No loaners, no other options except for tough luck or im sorry for your situation. "We will call you as soon as possible " and "becareful driving" were not solutions to a problem of this magnitude. We as customers are left to deal with the aftermath fir something that FCA knew already was an issue. This is where it is an FCA thing. Thank goodness I have great insurance and the entire process was settled in a weeks time. Everything could have been avoided by better planning by FCA. I received the recall in late April/early May and I find out that the recall was issued around October of last year?! So there was plenty of time for part solutions by FCA before the recall was issued.
Either way, thank you for responding.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me along with the same BS letter from the OP. This just happened to me on Oct 27. My truck was a 2016 and only had 87000 miles on it. I was driving to work and no load on the truck. I called FCA and they immediately sent out an investigator. A day later after the "thorough" investigation, I received an email with "sorry for your loss...blah, blah, blah...". "We are not responsible and all claims should go through your insurance". I did. Now my truck is a total loss. After insurance payment, I only got back $2000 for my "investment " in the vehicle. I only needed a 2 years left to pay it off. Now I need to start over with another truck.. it was supposed to be my forever vehicle (until the wheels fall off) and now i need to start all over. And what to do?? Get another ecodiesel and hope that it doesn't burn up?? Nope, especially since all that FCA is going to say is sorry for your loss? I have had Dodges mostly my whole life, but I would be stupid to get another Dodge or ecodiesel. FCA will not stand by there product or had a solution to the recall. My apologies, I'm still angry and left some details out about the recall. I took it in twice and couldn't get the repair because the part was on Back Order FOR 7 TO 9 MONTHS! The dealership told me becareful driving it or park it until the repair is completed. Park ir for a year?? I need to work. And a loaner was obviously denied. So I drove because I had to. Well 3 months later and the fire happened. So I did a little researching, there is already a class action lawsuit that is in the beginning stages and I signed up with them. It is the same lawyers that sued FCA for the emissions scandal. Im stuck without a truck that i love, almost paid off, nothing to show for my investment and now I'm forced to by another brand that I won't be 100% happy with. I'm so angry at FCA. I'm not a sue happy person, actually I detest it. However, I can't let this go. FCA ruined my plans of 6 years in the making. Now I need to start over.
Sorry but I have to make a statement that applies to everyone who buys any vehicle, to start sorry you have the issue that totaled your truck, that is why we have insurance. But the way your post reads it also sounds like you still have two years worth of loan to pay off. I am not understanding you saying you got back $2,000 dollars then you say you still have 2 years to pay on the loan, all monies should have went to the lien holder and if the insurance payoff was not enough to satisfy the loan amount then you are liable for the remaining balance of the loan.

Here is the statement that applies to everyone, do not take out these 72 month, 84 month and yes even 96 month loans on a vehicle. You are upside down for almost the entire term of the loan, the poster I am replying to from what I can determine from his post got $2,000 dollars back on a 4 year old truck with 87,000 miles on it and again from what I can determine from his post still had another two years left on the loan so I don't really understand how he got $2,000 dollars back when there is a lien holder on the truck for the loan that he says still has two years to go before it is paid off. But let's assume that the loan was paid off by insurance and there was a remaining balance of $2,000 dollars that went to the poster.

These trucks prices have become outrageous with 1500 series trucks pricing out over $74,000 dollars for them. It is a vehicle meant to move you from point A to point B. The only way most people can afford these trucks these days is to take out loans for 6, 7, 8 and even 9 years, that is just not a smart decision financially for a vehicle.

I just bought a left over 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Laramie ecodiesel and it had an MSRP of $50,265 dollars, but I would not have paid that for it, I would have moved on to another truck. In this case being it was a left over 2019 that they had on their lot for 10 months they were eager to move it to get it off their floor plan, so out the door after tax, tag, title and extended warranty I paid just over $29,000 dollars for it. I only took out a loan for 48 months to pay it off within a reasonable amount of time as I am not in a position to just pay cash for a vehicle right now.

The point is people need to start being smarter about the vehicles they buy and the loans they take out on them. Don't get wooed by the fancy options that drive the price up into the $70,000 plus dollar range and then have to take out Long loans tying you up for the next 6 to 8 years paying on a vehicle. If you average 15,000 miles a year and have a 7 year loan you will have 105,000 miles on that vehicle before you pay it off. Stretch it out to 8 years and you will have 120,000 miles on it before it is paid off.

Compare that with only a 48 month loan and you will have 60,000 miles on the vehicle but it is now paid off. Never treat a vehicle as an investment because they are a depreciating asset that will one day not be worth anything if you keep it long enough.

I will only go to 48 months on a loan for a vehicle, if I can't make that happen then the vehicle is just to expansive for me and it is time to look for another vehicle that I can fit into a 48 month loan.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Key part is you say the recall had only came out a few days before you bought this truck used, so the dealer might not have even been aware of the recall yet. I can assure you the sales floor had no clue about it. How many times have people went into their dealer and had to tell the dealer about a service bulletin that applies to their issue. The EGR system was discovered to develop hairline cracks due to metal fatigue from heat cycles. They had to redesign the EGR and then they had to get with the supplier to start production of the redesigned part, I know we are now a society that thinks they should have everything the moment they want it but this stuff takes time.

How many Ford vehicles do you think Ford paid for when they caught fire and burnt to the ground from their faulty cruise control system that would short out while the vehicle was parked? The answer is none, the insurance company paid for the vehicle and if you were upside down on the loan you have to pay the difference. It is the same deal here you were upside down on your loan so you have to pay back the difference.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts