RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a trip towing my RV. Yesterday while stopping for fuel I noticed that my ECO Diesel engine is making a knocking sound. I hear it at idle and at low RPM's. 2017 and I have 72,500 km on it. I have driven about 100 km since I first heard the knock. What should I do? I need to get home. I'm 600 km from home.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Check oil & coolant levels to make sure they are good. Then hit a dealer to check it out. I assume you are out of warranty?

·
Registered
13,715 Posts
If under warranty, have it checked out and documented.

If not under warranty, it might be something minor. Can’t hurt to hav a professional opinion.

·
Registered
131 Posts
An engine knock will not go away, it will only get worse so if what you are hearing is only idle or low rpms then I would not suspect you have any rod bearing or crankshaft bearing issues. You did not say if you hear it under load and does it get worse under load but again if it really is a rod or crankshaft bearing it is not going to go away as the rpm increases and under load it should even get louder.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's a rod should I be hearing the knock when going at full speed on the highway? At lower RPM the knock getting louder

·
Registered
278 Posts
Can also be a injector best to take it to a Ram dealer with a good reputation on diesels they should be able to plug into your truck and pull a lot of info, also cut individual cylinders ti find a bad one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If the knock goes away as RPM's increase it is not a bearing knock issue, but there are several other things that could cause a knocking sound, the A/C compressor could be going bad, injector as another post stated. If it is an A/C compressor or the A/C compressor clutch you could try turning off the A/C and see if the knock goes away, if it does then it is the A/C compressor or clutch going bad.

Just remember a bearing knock will not come and go and it will not fix itself, a bearing knock will only get worse until it fails. So if you only hear a knock at idle I would suspect another cause rather than a bearing.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The cp4 pumps can make a light knock noise as well and since your makes it at lower rpm and goes away as rpm increases then it's possible, it could also be a oil issue as well but that well get worse fast.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sorry to hear. Wish you were closer to home. I agree with the above, take it into a dealer.

If you're going to attempt driving home I'd drain your oil and fill up with a 15w40.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sorry to hear. Wish you were closer to home. I agree with the above, take it into a dealer.

If you're going to attempt driving home I'd drain your oil and fill up with a 15w40.
The only problem with that is it might void the warranty using the wrong oil. Even through i totally agree. .

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m having the exact same issue right now on my 2016 with 72.5K miles, 62.5K miles on the motor. I took it to the dealer last week and they said they could not find anything. Had the oil changed while the truck was there. Only have about 2.5K miles left on the extended warranty. It documented now. Last time, the motor got replaced at 6 months old and only 10K miles. Keep us posted of what you find or what the dealer does.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The knocking may be an injector, if the spray pattern of the injector starts to screw up instead of spray a mist starts to spray a partial solid stream ingnition is delayed in the solid fuel and it tends to more or less detonate all at once causing a knock sound. Ask the technician if he can cut cylinders one at a time if you cut #4 and the knock goes away you know there is a good chance #4 injector is bagged ect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here my update. I tried to get an appointment at one dealer, and they were not even interested in servicing my truck. Said that they don't have any time right now.

Went to a second local dealer. They checked it out and at first, the service manager told me that the engine was low on oil. I told him that is not possible because I did the oil change 2500 KM ago. I also told him that I checked the oil as soon as I heard the nock. Then we went to check the oil level together, and it was not low on oil. Then the mechanic came out, and he did not mention the engine being low on oil again. He then said that he needs to truck for a day. To him, it sounds like the nock is coming from the bottom of the engine. He said that I should call back in a few weeks to bring it in for a day because he has 4 ECO Diesels trucks in right now. Two of them with the cab off and the other two waiting to service with engine issues. When I asked if I should keep on driving it he told me if the engine will blow that I'm under warranty and that I will get a new engine

It appears that dealers are not eager to service the ECO Diesels

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sounds like a half assed dealership, I would be interested to know if the tech's can cut cylinder's ? if they cut out 1 cylinder at a time electronically as soon a they cut the bad cylinder the knock will stop, if so replace the injector and try it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do the RAM service technicians have access to tools to cut out cylinders electronically on the eco diesel?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts