RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have done this on Cat engines it's quick only takes 5 minutes, maybe pull your oil filter and look for metal particles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Now I know 100% for sure that it is a bottom end failure. I am beside the road waiting for a tow truck with an EcoDiesel engine that is seized up. It started making a very loud noise and started vibrating a lot and the oil pressure drop to zero. It won't even start now

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My only concern is now to see if the dealer will put up a fight because I've been doing my own oil changes. I have 75,000 km on it so I should be covered under warranty

·
Administrator
8,907 Posts
Now I know 100% for sure that it is a bottom end failure. I am beside the road waiting for a tow truck with an EcoDiesel engine that is seized up. It started making a very loud noise and started vibrating a lot and the oil pressure drop to zero. It won't even start now
Well that really sucks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My only concern is now to see if the dealer will put up a fight because I've been doing my own oil changes. I have 75,000 km on it so I should be covered under warranty
If you used after market filters not OEM they might try to use that as an out, they could make a good argument for denying warranty because you did the servicing yourself but why jump to conclusions ? they may honor the warranty no question.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Second part is that I'm 500 km from home. so my truck will have to stay at a local dealer and hopefully they'll give me a rental so that I can drive back home

·
Registered
20 Posts
Keep us posted on your results. Mine is about to go back to the shop since it’s starting to knock louder and starting to feel vibration. I’m at 74K miles, 1st motor was replaced at 10K miles. I bought the extended warranty after the 1st motor was replaced. Took it in last month and they said they couldn’t find anything. Had them do an oil change to cover myself. Good luck to you! Hope they take care of your truck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
@porschai930 I got my warranty claim approved. I had to prove oil changes by producing receipts and also produced credit card statements. I only had one receipt that I was not able to get from a local Chrysler dealer where I bought the oil and filter for my first oil change. I was able to prove it on my credit card statement. I also keep a log of my oil changes and other maintenance which did line up with the dates on the receipts and credit card statements. Going forward I will make sure I keep every receipt.

My truck is still at the dealer and was told it would take until the end of the month for them to get the new engine and get it installed.

I take it that you are from the USA since you mentioned miles. As far as I know, in the USA you have 100K miles warranty and here in Canada we only have 100K kilometers. That is an additional 62K kilometer warranty for you. I may look into buying an extended warranty after the new engine is in if it is still available. You being on your second engine it does not sound very promising.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Keep us posted on your results. Mine is about to go back to the shop since it’s starting to knock louder and starting to feel vibration. I’m at 74K miles, 1st motor was replaced at 10K miles. I bought the extended warranty after the 1st motor was replaced. Took it in last month and they said they couldn’t find anything. Had them do an oil change to cover myself. Good luck to you! Hope they take care of your truck.
How would your engine be knocking the dealer be unable to find anything? lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
How would your engine be knocking the dealer be unable to find anything? lol
I guess they just didn’t want to do the repairs. It was pretty mild before, well now it’s much louder and definitely noticeable the last mile home. Not driving it now, waiting for a day off to take it in again, hope it makes it there to the dealer.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I guess they just didn’t want to do the repairs. It was pretty mild before, well now it’s much louder and definitely noticeable the last mile home. Not driving it now, waiting for a day off to take it in again, hope it makes it there to the dealer.
You could always drive it until it blows and have it towed there, that will surely get you another replacement.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Its simple... its not throwing any codes, no window block, no oil leaking and it starts and runs like it should. A little tick could be anything or nothing.

I had a 2010 cummins for the life of me there was at tick i heard at idle most of the time it annoyed me, took it to the dealer once and they couldn't figure it out but said it shouldn't do that. A week later i was doing an oil change with the truck off and the wind was blowing hard and i heard the noise.... turned out there was a plastic tag on the front coil spring that the fan (when running) blew around and it would hit the coil spring and make a ticking sound... loud enough you could hear it with the engine running. Lots of explanations for a crazy noises.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You could always drive it until it blows and have it towed there, that will surely get you another replacement.
That is exactly what I did. If you read my comments I went to a dealer and they acknowledge the knock but did not have time to further diagnose. The mechanic told me to drive and that I was under warranty and come back in two weeks to have it diagnosed further. It did not even last the two weeks. The problem is that it happen 500 KM from my home so I have my truck at a dealer far from home. They provided a rental for me so once it is ready I will drive back to get my truck. The service people at the dealer are very helpful which is a bonus

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Its simple... its not throwing any codes, no window block, no oil leaking and it starts and runs as it should. A little tick could be anything or nothing.
So you have not owned an Eco Diesel then. Check the forums and there are a lot of guys with blown Eco Diesels. Mine started with a rather minor knock. There is no comparison with a Commins. Based on what @porschai930 says it clearly is not just anything or nothing.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
So you have not owned an Eco Diesel then. Check the forums and there are a lot of guys with blown Eco Diesels. Mine started with a rather minor knock. There is no comparison with a Commins. Based on what @porschai930 says it clearly is not just anything or nothing.
I am the happy owner of a 2015 ecodiesel with 90k miles on it. Im well aware of the failures.

I feel for you going through it, just trying to explain why RAM doesnt throw a new engine in every vehicle with an unexplained sound.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If I was within warranty and had documented oil changes, I'd be happy as hell if my engine blew lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Knowing that these engines are not very reliable I'm happy that my engine blow withing a warranty. I have another 25,000 to go for warranty coverage

·
Registered
572 Posts
Knowing that these engines are not very reliable I'm happy that my engine blow withing a warranty. I have another 25,000 to go for warranty coverage
You should definitely get a tune if you don't already have one.. especially after your warranty expires if you're worried about that.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts