RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Hopefully this is the right link for my issue.

I was driving my 2018 ram Ecodiesel this last Friday on the highway for about 10 mins. I notice there a noise coming from the engine, turned down my radio and keep on going for another few mins. It gets louder and vibrating and some smoke from behind. I drove into the exit turned off the engine. Oil all over underneath and still dripping. Towed to the dealer and still have not heard back from them, they told me that they will check if the problem under warranty.
I changed oil about every 7-8k, last oil changed about 3k ago. Oil changed at local shop.
Never brought to dealer for oil change.
Truck about 21k in it. 100% stock.
Anyone got the same problem? What is the problem? will this cover under warranty?

Thank you in advance

·
Administrator
8,564 Posts
Sorry to say, but it's likely a bottom end failure with a connecting rod through the block.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Welcome to the forum - first post.

You are describing the death of a motor.

Hopefully the warranty you should have will cover it. Dig around and see if you can find receipts from who did the oil changes and some idea of what products they used. If it goes well, you will get a new motor.

Report back as things proceed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2018. Dealer said rear main seal failed and it pushed oil out till the motor spun the bearings. New motor installed and truck returned in 3 weeks. Thus far no problems after 1000 miles, fingers crossed.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,

Thank you for all the information.
At least someone in this forum had the same problem.
The rear main seal failed. Dealer will replace new engine. They have no idea when they will be able to get the new engine. I got a Ram 1500 hemi rental for free.
So how is this warrany will be consider with the new engine?

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Appreciate the follow-up.

Since it is a 2018 I assume it is still under warranty. If so, you may be asked to show proof of your service , materials and service intervals. Assuming they are all acceptable, you should have no issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine was handled quickly. New engine was at the dealer in less than 2 weeks, truck back in 3. Never requested any of my service records but I did have them if needed. I do all my own service so had all receipts for oil and filters plus dates and mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was handled quickly. New engine was at the dealer in less than 2 weeks, truck back in 3. Never requested any of my service records but I did have them if needed. I do all my own service so had all receipts for oil and filters plus dates and mileage.
Yes, it is warranty.

Thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts