RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2016 Ecodiesel with 70k miles on the engine. About twice a week (getting more often over time) when I get into the truck and start it, the engine starts, then immediately dies a couple seconds later. Turning they key again does nothing (no turn over)! Turning the key off/on again also does nothing! The only way to get it to start is to remove the key completely, then insert the key and only then will it start. The first time this happened was frustrating, I though I was going to need a tow until I figured out removing the key. Does this happen to anyone else? Why is it quitting, is there buildup in the engine that needs cleaned out? I did clean out the diesel suit from the map sensor last year, it was pretty bad. [edit] by the way, when I start it the 2nd time, it seems to run just fine, it doesn't keep quitting.

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab 4X4 3.0L Ecodiesel
50 Posts
Do you have a link? I tried searching with no luck. I looked up "tone wheel", it looks like that is a failure related to an engine code. I don't have any codes.
I could be wrong on the tone wheel but here are couple of links to threads that sound similar

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/tone-wheel-failed.72620/#post-10844

Good place for tone wheel failure

There are a few people on here that are way more knowledgeable than me regarding issues with this motor but without codes it's going to be tough to diagnose. good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could be wrong on the tone wheel but here are couple of links to threads that sound similar

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/tone-wheel-failed.72620/#post-10844

Good place for tone wheel failure

There are a few people on here that are way more knowledgeable than me regarding issues with this motor but without codes it's going to be tough to diagnose. good luck
Ok so at this point it is stalling immediately after startup once in a while. No other symptoms, it starts right back up and runs fine afterward. No codes, no lights (that I recall, I'll double check next time.) No problems getting the truck running, at this point is a minor annoyance. But I think I'll take it in and get any and all recalls taken care of. I still have the drive train warranty.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,288 Posts
If it is the tone wheel issue, then the update will solve the issue as it will get the signal from the cam rather than the crank. Might be an option getting the update ??
If it was a tone wheel issue the truck would not run at all. However if it was tone wheel and he already had the software patch (W58) the truck would run in limp mode only.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Ok so at this point it is stalling immediately after startup once in a while. No other symptoms, it starts right back up and runs fine afterward. No codes, no lights (that I recall, I'll double check next time.) No problems getting the truck running, at this point is a minor annoyance. But I think I'll take it in and get any and all recalls taken care of. I still have the drive train warranty.
Hi: mohrt... Sounds like a "Po lit a cal" protest to me!!! Make sure when you take it in they don't charge you to R&R the sparkplugs.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I ran into a similar problem. Had to get towed to the dealer. In my case they supposedly found a corroded wired in a wire block that's under the truck, right beneath the driver seat. See pic below.
Next time you get the truck started, move this wire block around and see if it stalls again. If so, that might be your issue.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Bicycle tire Automotive exterior

1 - 17 of 17 Posts