RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stepson has a 2014 EcoDiesel. It dropped oil pressure and has basically screwed the engine. We're going to try and do a used replacement but need to know if it's possible to remove and replace the engine without removing the cab? We don't have access to a hoist and don't really want to pay a shop $4-5000 to do the work.
Also, will the ECU in the truck work with the replacement engine or will it need to be reprogrammed?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I am not sure about removing the eng without lifting the cab. That is the only way I have seen it done because it's the easiest and quickest way to do it. That doesn't mean it HAS to be done that way. Hopefully someone here has done it and will chime in.

As far as programming. No, the old ECU will not work with the new eng without programming the injector codes.
There is a way to do it and people on here have done it. If you do a search you'll find it.

Good luck with your engine swap.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You will need to program the injector codes assuming the new engine comes with different injectors. There is a thread in the diy section here on the forums that explain how.

I can't answer your question about the engine though. Hopefully someone can chime in.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Welcome to the site Mr.Beandawg , there was a thread from a member in Europe who showed pictures
of his truck with no front bumper and no engine , complete front end removed , grill , rad ,intercooler ,rad support ,
didn't say if he cut stuff off , or just unbolt ,
claimed he removed engine witout lifting cab ,
sorry , I can't find the image or thread ..:(
--------
>> Not an Ecodiesel but <<<
older model here , and Cummins engine , Old RAM , but you get the idea in images of post # 5
=======================================
as others said better to flash the injector codes from the new engine to the truck's ECM ,
it could run witout them proper codes , but not good for the engine .

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The engine will run without reprogramming injector codes, it's just said to not be as efficient as if the injector codes were correct. I know of one owner running an ECM without correct injector codes and he reports no issues.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Is reusing the old injectors and fuel rails an option to avoid reprogramming the ECU?
messing with the fuel rail is risky ,
I read that there is a special coating INSIDE the tubing , if you flex the tubes , that coating will crumble
and the particules would ruin the expensive injectors .
maybe others can chime in on the subject of moving fuel rail , specially the rear part ..

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've seen a mechanic friend pull the radiator and front end to replace a hemi on a Ram. Did not take a long time to remove it. Ecodiesel is shorter, just saying, it can't be that bad.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
messing with the fuel rail is risky ,
I read that there is a special coating INSIDE the tubing , if you flex the tubes , that coating will crumble
and the particules would ruin the expensive injectors .
maybe others can chime in on the subject of moving fuel rail , specially the rear part ..
Some fuel lines are coated with a ceramic type of coating to handle the extreme high pressures on new diesels.
Fuel rail pressures can 20 - 30,000 psi. (even upwards of 40k) :eek: If you bend them they are junk and can even be extremely dangerous if they crack open and spray fuel out. ☠
If you remove them be careful and DON'T bend them to get them out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just to reiterate, you don't HAVE to reprogram the injectors for the engine to run. You probably wouldn't notice a difference in day to day operation. I would put it way down on your list of things to worry about, but it is a good idea to do eventually and it's quick and easy with AlfaOBD.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts