RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
You're right, that is a great deal! You should start installing engines on the side! I would have you do mine when the time comes!
Possibilities are endless! 馃榿
Thankfully this was not the first engine I had to swap, but definitely most complex.
I'll start a different tread with pictures of the swap....I never seen main bearings fail in the fashion that they have in ED....

Registered
Possibilities are endless! 馃榿
Thankfully this was not the first engine I had to swap, but definitely most complex.
I'll start a different tread with pictures of the swap....I never seen main bearings fail in the fashion that they have in ED....
The EcoDiesel bearing failure is strange because we still don't know why they fail.

I saw today where someone on Facebook posted their gen. III failure. But it appears to be a different type of failure.

Registered
Thanks for this Capn. I drive from New Orleans to Chicago and back routinely. I usually can make the last station in Missou

Thanks, Capn. I drive from New Orleans to Chicago area and back routinely. I make it to the last stop in Missouri (Boomland) heading north and fill up but I am running on vapors. Won't do this again ever.
Stop around Hayti or just aim the Arkansas border. I make the trip from north of chicago to Memphis just about weekly.

Super Moderator
Krom did that come with 24 month unlimited mileage warranty?

BTW my clean running fuel efficient fully tuned & deleted replacement motor now has 306k miles only legit repair has been the reluctor wheel at 300k. The only place I don鈥檛 care to run it is the LA basin out of respect to the people who live there as to their nearly unique environment. Otherwise it鈥檚 鈥済reener鈥 than any gov AEM tune motor. IMO

Bio there was a discussion on here a while back where I forget his name suggested that the Ram/VM Motori engineers suggested it was Crank harmonics. Where at just the wrong low engine rpm & higher (relative) load made the crank do a squirm where it might twist grab a bearing or wound It to let loose later. Hense some of the suggestions to use TH when towing & perhaps to lock out 8th when towing to help avoid the potential scenario. This is not to suggest that the scenario only happened when towing.

Registered
You must live somewhere away from the salt to be considering those options. Where I live the whole rest of the truck is done by the time the motor is wore out (assuming it's a good engine). My vote is just do a full delete and mile out the thing then take it to the dealer for trade (or the junk yard lol). That R28 repower cummins sure is interesting if you live in a state that would allow that. But certainly would be expensive and a gamble to swap and get working properly. Then basically drive it like a tractor trailer wide open all the time. I bet you it would be some tough and long lasting motor though, with decent mileage. It would be no problem swapping that engine here in Canada, the challenge would be making a fuss free daily driver with a swapped aftermarket motor. Even though the kit has all the wiring harnesses etc, I'd imagine a person would have lots of surprises along the way.

Registered
How many of the replacement engines have failed? I'm think of saving my money for a possible engine replacement vs buying a extended warranty.

Registered
I'm think of saving my money for a possible engine replacement vs buying a extended warranty.
The price of the engine is very affordable. The key is to either install it yourself or find someone competent who can install it affordably. From my understanding, it should be installed by an approved technician if you want to maintain the warranty, but I would verify that.

My extended warranty just ran out. They are giving me the option to extend my warranty, but I haven't gotten a price quote. Either way, I would certainly put money away for a new engine. $7,000 for a complete drop-in engine is surprisingly cheap. You can spend that much just by replacing your fuel system (injectors, rail, lines, CP4.2, lift pump, etc.

That's why I was trying to encourage KRom to install these engines on the side. After you've installed a few engines, I bet you get pretty good at it. I'd be willing to trailer my truck a good distance to have a new engine installed by someone I trusted.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts