RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2014 with 68k on it and today while towing our travel trailer I noticed a knock. A few minutes later the low oil pressure light came in and the engine started knocking hard. Had it towed to the dealer and will wait till they open on Tuesday to diagnose it, but I know what the outcome will be. Not sure if I’ll keep it after the replacement engine or not. My question is what model of the engine do they replace it with? Same model with “upgrades” on the weak points or is it the latest model engine? I assume the former,
but am curious.

Just had the update done a few weeks ago FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
Have a 2014 with 68k on it and today while towing our travel trailer I noticed a knock. A few minutes later the low oil pressure light came in and the engine started knocking hard. Had it towed to the dealer and will wait till they open on Tuesday to diagnose it, but I know what the outcome will be. Not sure if I’ll keep it after the replacement engine or not. My question is what model of the engine do they replace it with? Same model with “upgrades” on the weak points or is it the latest model engine? I assume the former,
but am curious.

Sorry to hear. Please update when you are able. Who knows what the reliability will be on even a 2020 Gen III.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
That’s not comforting.

not necessarily 'just like' some of the 'just like' originals seem to be fine and a few are not. SO far there seems to be no clue which one of the 'just like' are fine and which are not. I can tell you that, for talking purposes if the original had a 5% chance (1 in 20) of going bad the new one will have the same but the chance of getting two bad ones in a row are 0.25% so not impossible to get two bad ones in a row but very unlikely. ALso note that my 5% is likely way higher than what reality is on % of failure but thatis an unknown too and I wanted to pick something high enough to not have criticism of that blunt the point I am tryng to make. Except for the inconvenience feel lucky that you have a new engine and continue enjoying the truck

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not necessarily 'just like' some of the 'just like' originals seem to be fine and a few are not. SO far there seems to be no clue which one of the 'just like' are fine and which are not. I can tell you that, for talking purposes if the original had a 5% chance (1 in 20) of going bad the new one will have the same but the chance of getting two bad ones in a row are 0.25% so not impossible to get two bad ones in a row but very unlikely. ALso note that my 5% is likely way higher than what reality is on % of failure but thatis an unknown too and I wanted to pick something high enough to not have criticism of that blunt the point I am tryng to make. Except for the inconvenience feel lucky that you have a new engine and continue enjoying the truck
Thanks. I love the truck and have little interest in buying another new one, as this truck does everything I need and comfortably. I’ll be curious to see how this plays out.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Have a 2014 with 68k on it and today while towing our travel trailer I noticed a knock. A few minutes later the low oil pressure light came in and the engine started knocking hard. Had it towed to the dealer and will wait till they open on Tuesday to diagnose it, but I know what the outcome will be. Not sure if I’ll keep it after the replacement engine or not. My question is what model of the engine do they replace it with? Same model with “upgrades” on the weak points or is it the latest model engine? I assume the former, but am curious.

Stern Law is the firm representing the class action law suit. They would probably love to know about the engine failure after the AEM update.

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
Not exactly on topic but often wonder if the new 2020 Gen 3 motor could be adapted to the old frame. Then you would have the issue of harness connections and computer control. All are probably different. The new 2020Gen3 also has twin EGR systems and surely that alone would take different physical and electrical connections.

Have not read of any of those engines being available or sold yet.

On a related idea the warranty period of my 2014 would have been long expired time-wise. With the AEM you were extended in both time and mileage. Now, you are soon going to find out if it deals with a complete engine. Believe this has happened before and if memory is correct, there were some issues.

Please report back on whether they will do a complete engine replacement under warranty extension of the AEM.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I read your original note again and one interesting thing about your description of the event is you clearly state you heard knocking and then the low oil pressure warning came on. I don't recall anyone else with a failure having been that specific before. That sequence indicates the oil pressure fell as a result of the bearing failure not that an oil pressure failure caused the bearing failure.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read your original note again and one interesting thing about your description of the event is you clearly state you heard knocking and then the low oil pressure warning came on. I don't recall anyone else with a failure having been that specific before. That sequence indicates the oil pressure fell as a result of the bearing failure not that an oil pressure failure caused the bearing failure.
That’s correct. Low oil pressure annunciations began a few minutes after the first indication that it was sounding different.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not exactly on topic but often wonder if the new 2020 Gen 3 motor could be adapted to the old frame. Then you would have the issue of harness connections and computer control. All are probably different. The new 2020Gen3 also has twin EGR systems and surely that alone would take different physical and electrical connections.

Have not read of any of those engines being available or sold yet.

On a related idea the warranty period of my 2014 would have been long expired time-wise. With the AEM you were extended in both time and mileage. Now, you are soon going to find out if it deals with a complete engine. Believe this has happened before and if memory is correct, there were some issues.

Please report back on whether they will do a complete engine replacement under warranty extension of the AEM.
Thankfully, I bought the MaxCare warranty 7yr/75,000. Got lucky this time.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Stern Law is the firm representing the class action law suit. They would probably love to know about the engine failure after the AEM update.
Not sure why that matters. Engines were dying left and right before and AEM and will continue until each and everyone is in the recycle bin.

·
Super Moderator
3,311 Posts
Good on you for buying the extended warranty but it should be covered under the 100k powertrain warranty. You can still order a tune from HD Supply in Canada. A few Californians have posted no problems passing smog with a tune but I would still suggest the two ECM method. Ram should pay for your tow and the tow of your TT and provide you a rental. I would also push for or if must see if you can buy the remainder of the 5 yr 100k powertrain warranty for the new engine. Otherwise they will only give you the remainder of your 100k warranty. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not sure why that matters. Engines were dying left and right before and AEM and will continue until each and everyone is in the recycle bin.
A lawyer would argue that the AEM was part of and possibly the sole reason for the failure. True or not, they can make the claim and FCA would need to counter with proof.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Get an HD supply tune once you get the new engine put in and do as Vern said keep a spare ECM with the stock tune for dealer visits.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
A lawyer would argue that the AEM was part of and possibly the sole reason for the failure. True or not, they can make the claim and FCA would need to counter with proof.
Do you honestly believe this is how our legal system works?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
That sequence indicates the oil pressure fell as a result of the bearing failure not that an oil pressure failure caused the bearing failure.
I believe it's been a bearing issue all along, and not an oil pressure issue. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: Gputah
1 - 20 of 53 Posts