RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
While I do not have personal knowledge about how the system works others on hear that claim to have reported the indicated pressure is an algorithm based upon rpm and oil temperature and that there is a low pressure switch that triggers the alarm. Given that the warning of low oil pressure is supposed to give you time to shut things down before you destroy the engines it seems unlikely to me that anybody would design and build a system that doesn't give an oil pressure warning immediately when the pressure falls below the switch trigger point .
I hadn't heard anything about a low pressure switch. That would make a lot of sense, but at the same time, if they were to go through all the effort of building an algorithm based system and then run a mechanical switch, why not just run a mechanical pressure sender? But anyways, if there is a low pressure switch that lights the dash up it only seems to work after the damage as been done.

What do you base this knowledge on? The fact that the ECM throws a low oil pressure warning based on a knock.
Wasn't intended to be brought out as fact. It was a "for all we know" type of comment. I was under the assumption that there was no other oil pressure sensing system in place besides the algorithm. If the algorithm was the only thing than something else needs to sense something is going on, such as a knock sensor. But that's probably not the case either as there's reports that when the engine fails, the dash lights up like a christmas tree and messages like service electronic throttle pop up. It warns against everything. This makes me think the ECM has no idea what just happened, but knows somethings not right.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
For what it's worth, I never even got a check engine light! Just the low oil pressure. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The oil pressure switch closes when oil pressure goes over 7 psi and can stay closed tell around 4 psi, so if that light comes on while the engine is still running damage is occurring. But if something commands the engine to shut down the message or light comes on as well. Fca does there diagnostics weird.

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you want to know what your real oil pressure is, you need to do this. I love it, look at it all the time, marvel at 100 plus psi when it's still warming up.

Trends, with an oil gauge, I get used to x amount of psi at y amount of rpm's, it's handy. A failing crank or rod bearing will start off with falling oil pressure. It might give me a chance to get off the road, especially the roads we travel on.

Airplanes have real working oil pressure gauges for the same reason, to give you a half assed attempt to find a place to land before the engine seizes. And the training is to pay attention, scan, all the time, after a while it's just what you do without thinking.

My only advice is don't cheap out on the gauge. Buy a good one, mine isn't so great, it works ok, but is bright at night, which is all the time in winter here, cheap charley.... I do like the digital display for fast reading. Good gauges can cost over $200.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealer just replaced my 2014 Ecodiesel engine with 120 k on it. I had been having a problem with it throwing codes and they decided the motor needed to be replaced. I had been complaining about the problem since it had 70k on it so they agreed to replace it for a $5k copay ( they said it would have been $18k).

They replaced it with a 2019 complete crate motor. So far everything seems great. The motor does not suffer from the cold start lag problem that I had after the PCM emissions update. They gave me a 3 year 100k warranty.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Update..... They dropped the pan and said it was a bucket of metal and parts, so at least I have that going for me. They filed the claim with Chrysler tonight and hopefully I'll get the local rep to look at it by Friday.

Service rep said the new long block comes with a 2yr, unlimited mile warranty. Not great, but better than nothing. If you purchase one it comes with a 3yr/100k warranty. Not sure why the difference, but I'm sure it comes down to $$.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear. Please update when you are able. Who knows what the reliability will be on even a 2020 Gen III.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had exactly the same situation 3 days ago except the the 0 oil pressure warning flashed twice and the engine quit on a highway. Had it towed to dealer and they called the next day and said metal all over the bottom of the oil pan. $13,100 will get me back on the road...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also heard a change in the engine prior to the oil pressure light... kind of a soft tapping when i got off the exit ramp and stopped. I also noted that the oil temp was running 208-227 swinging back and forth... it's usually rock steady at 201 on the interstate. Dealer said it had "nothing to do with the recent update"!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I read your original note again and one interesting thing about your description of the event is you clearly state you heard knocking and then the low oil pressure warning came on. I don't recall anyone else with a failure having been that specific before. That sequence indicates the oil pressure fell as a result of the bearing failure not that an oil pressure failure caused the bearing failure.
I don't think that is odd for the typical failure. There have been many posters who reported a knocking with no oil light on and drove into the dealer. I believe one did it in the GDE shop after having a tune done. I sometimes get the low oil pressure light in the morning when I start the truck before it builds pressure, it just blips on and off.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
...................... I believe one did it in the GDE shop after having a tune done. ....
guy drove TO GDE with the knock , GDE told him it was a goner , guy said tune it anyway ,
and it blew up on his way back home , engine replaced under warranty . this is a pretty old story , +/- 4 years old .

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I don't have the link to te actual thread , but I copied this when I saw it :
From GDE , in a thread where someone asked if any GDE tuned trucks ever blew up .
--------

Q; Did your company personally have their hands on those two trucks

A; Yes we did. We could hear bear noise from under the vehicle when
the customer was in our shop. We told him it was on its way out,
but he wanted the tune installed anyway. The engine blew on his
drive home and was replaced under warranty.

A bearing issue is recognizable based on lower end sound.
Soot does not seem to be a factor in bearing failure. Nothing
about the GDE tune will prevent a bearing failure...
Bottom end failures are the vast majority on this engine.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts