RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel
Discussion Starter #1
My '17 truck is getting close to when I would normally have it serviced: dealer windshield sticker shows to change it at 5k intervals... just like I did with my old 5.9. This truck had 47k on it when I got it in May and I'm coming up on 52k in probably a couple/three weeks.

But the engine oil life indicator still shows 58% of oil life still to go? So do I go by the mileage, or by the cluster indicator when I change the oil? Don't want to screw up right off the bat... 馃く Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Registered
At least on the first generation EDs, like my 2014, the oil change indicator simply counts down 1% per 100 miles for a 10,000 mile oil change interval. Nothing does any analysis of the oil in the engine. I don't know if the Gen 2 or 3 engines are the same.

Dave

Registered
At least on the first generation EDs, like my 2014, the oil change indicator simply counts down 1% per 100 miles for a 10,000 mile oil change interval. Nothing does any analysis of the oil in the engine. I don't know if the Gen 2 or 3 engines are the same.

Dave
Your 2014 is a second gen and it does use other stuff to calculate the oil life indicator.

Registered
Your 2014 is a second gen and it does use other stuff to calculate the oil life indicator.
Post AEM my oil life indicator counts down differently. Like right now I have 3k miles on this current oil change and it's showing close to 50% life left. These miles were mostly towing with high oil temps.

@OP I think 5k miles is a good interval. You're erring on the side of caution but also got your moneys worth (if doing the work yourself and sourcing good prices). But nothing wrong with 10k either. 馃敡

Registered
If that's the case, the oil monitor is not accurate. I send samples to Blackstone labs for analysis; per their recommendations, I'm currently changing my oil every 23,000 miles and it still looks great. I'm due for an oil change in another 3k miles; I'll post the results, but I'm expecting to be able to go 25,000 miles on an oil change.

Dave

Registered
If that's the case, the oil monitor is not accurate. I send samples to Blackstone labs for analysis; per their recommendations, I'm currently changing my oil every 23,000 miles and it still looks great. I'm due for an oil change in another 3k miles; I'll post the results, but I'm expecting to be able to go 25,000 miles on an oil change.

Dave
The oil life moniter does not actually measure the oil it just uses pre determined calculations based off engineering testing. Yes if conditions are ideal and the oil is better than tested it well last much longer. Oem's base oil change intervals off expected usage not base case situations. Also blackstone often recommends oil change intervals based off oil testing that oems dont agree with. Ive had mine go anywhere for 8-10k based off driving conditions with my 2015. That said I ran my last oil change 17k based off Polaris labs testing.

Registered
When I bought my truck I asked about this "when to change oil" ..... they said to watch the dash. I do that, or annually, whichever comes first. My truck however is mostly highway driven, so it gets hot and it runs so clean that I can't find soot at the tailpipe, so even though the oil looks black, when I look closely, it's still clean. I change when my truck tells me to or annually,whichever comes first.

Registered
The notion of onboard active oil analysis is spectacularly unikely. Through the magic of CANbus the vehicle "knows" how many miles it was towing, what the avg temps were at the time, duration, etc. It then computes by way of a simple algorithm to determine the oil change interval. While certainly not perfect, it is a good indicator and will also err on the side of caution. My UOA results show that I "underuse" my oil too, but I stick with the 10K interval or sooner.

Registered

Dave
Do you have bypass filtration or change the OEM filter before the oil change?

Registered
Buying a used truck that has a label stating to change it at 5000 miles indicates to me that whoever changed the oil probably used the wrong oil. Change it now using the proper oil and then every 10k or less from here on. Peace of mind.

Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel
Discussion Starter #13
I thought that too when I bought it but it was from a CDJR dealer and they assured me it was serviced to the latest FCA specs. All things considered, I think I am going to adopt a 5k/10k schedule in regards to oil changes/fuel filter changes...

Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
Buying a used truck that has a label stating to change it at 5000 miles indicates to me that whoever changed the oil probably used the wrong oil. Change it now using the proper oil and then every 10k or less from here on. Peace of mind.
I suspect it indicates that whoever changed the oil has boat payments to make (or is putting a kid through college). Twice as many oil changes means twice as much income.

Registered
My truck came new from the dealer with an oil change sticker due at 5000 miles. The dealer likely did it and wants to sell more $200+ oil changes.

Registered
My truck came new from the dealer with an oil change sticker due at 5000 miles. The dealer likely did it and wants to sell more $200+ oil changes.
I suspect it indicates that whoever changed the oil has boat payments to make (or is putting a kid through college). Twice as many oil changes means twice as much income.
I can see that if the used car lot was a Chrysler Dealer. I once stopped in a used car lot to looked at a used Chrysler Crossfire for another forum member who was not local. Car was in great shape, very clean and low miles but the engine was extremely noisy (valves and lifters). When speaking to the salesman I asked about recent service and was told that it just had a fresh oil change like all their used vehicles. Asked to find out what spec oil was used in this MB AMG motor. He returned to say Castrol GTX 10 w 30. Told him it was the wrong oil. That engine needed 0 w 40 full synthetic. Car was whisked away and returned shortly after with the engine sounding very normal. Oil type and viscosity does matter.

Registered
I'm going with 5k intervals to be on safe side...dont want sooty oil to lunch my bearings an want to see 1million miles outta my 2017 馃檪

Registered
I'm going with 5k intervals to be on safe side...dont want sooty oil to lunch my bearings an want to see 1million miles outta my 2017 馃檪
A million miles is probably unrealistic. I managed to squeeze 800k out of a 7.3 Powerstroke, but they have much less emissions controls on them. I also have a 17, I think getting the EGR shut off is key to engine life on these motors, I did an SFT tune on mine, still waiting to see how the oil does, it's just about due for an oil change, this oil has about 6300 miles right now, I'll change it soon, but would like to get the EGR recall done first, then reinstall the tune , change tthe oil & see how it goes.

Registered
There's better things you can be doing for your truck to increase longevity than a wasteful oil change interval.

Reactions: Kazimodo
1 - 20 of 29 Posts