RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ooooh don't keep me holding my breath....(insert sarcasm) really....what suggestion aside from gde tune and doing routine maintenance. Warm it up, do regular maintenance, annnnd!?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Back to topic.....the indicator in my truck seems to follow milage pretty accurately, the oil is finally getting dark- sooty- so it won't be long now before I change the oil, at 4965 miles the guage says 51% left. My brother in law is one of those whiz bang ase certified mech, who then went on to certified Honda and Toyota training. From his experience he's told me that keeping oil changes to 5k will be the best for engine longevity.....since I'm not a whiz mech...I'll continue changing my own oil an filter each 5k an hope for the best...good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ooooh don't keep me holding my breath....(insert sarcasm) really....what suggestion aside from gde tune and doing routine maintenance. Warm it up, do regular maintenance, annnnd!?
I gave my opinion, the EGR and factory tuning are the biggest problem with these on these enginex , the factory tune does not burn fuel efficiently & causes soot, a LOT of soot, I chose tuning because I don't have to worry about emissions testing, the EGR soots the intake badly and requires periodic cleaning of it and the diffuser tube. The tunes will remap fuel & timing strategies & change shift parameters as well as having the options of high idle and exhaust(turbo) braking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Back to topic.....the indicator in my truck seems to follow milage pretty accurately, the oil is finally getting dark- sooty- so it won't be long now before I change the oil, at 4965 miles the guage says 51% left. My brother in law is one of those whiz bang ase certified mech, who then went on to certified Honda and Toyota training. From his experience he's told me that keeping oil changes to 5k will be the best for engine longevity.....since I'm not a whiz mech...I'll continue changing my own oil an filter each 5k an hope for the best...good luck.
Not a bad strategy, it may be overkill, diesels typically have dirty looking oil.

·
Registered
62 Posts
thanks Caveman...I do have the tune an it made a ginormous difference on performance and oil cleanliness. Just wanting to know what more too do, got my tune in at 12k👍

·
Registered
47 Posts
thanks Caveman...I do have the tune an it made a ginormous difference on performance and oil cleanliness. Just wanting to know what more too do, got my tune in at 12k👍
I would suggest oil sampling to stay on top of wear metals, maintain your oil changes and other routine maintenance, and probably a full flow bypass oil filter, replace the air & fuel filter as required or even more frequently, and last but not least, use a quality fuel additive/lubricant/cetane booster in every tank, Either HOTSHOTS SECRET EDT with HOTSHOTS XTREME everyt 6 months or OPTILUBE XPD. I'm also going to give the HOTSHOTS FR3 a try. Many say not to use fuel additives, but the CP4 high pressure fuel pump is a weak point in the system and lubrication seems to be extremely important, the ULSD fuel has removed much of the lubricating qualities, I read that other additives have made up for it but really don't know.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Life is short. Why waste your time changing your oil twice as often as the factory spec?

Besides you may sell or trade the vehicle. Unless you are beating up on the motor incessantly its very unlikely you are going to blow up this motor, oh wait, it does have a history of spinning main bearings and the EGR catching fire. Woops.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts