RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This might have happened to some of you guys, I just want to share the experience and hopefully it does not hit the pocket too hard.

-its a 2015 Big Horn 4WD, I bought brand new and I have a little over 80k miles on the odometer now.
-no aftermarket installed except for grille insert.
-recent major maintenance was the coolant leak thru EGR and recall last year. Recent recall VB1/NHTSA 19V-757 and VA7 have not been done yet, still awaiting parts.

Driving this morning to work, after over 40 minutes of driving, coolant temperature started going haywire. It went down as low as 10 degrees, then after a few seconds it goes to 180's and stays there a few minutes then goes up to normal temp, a little over 200. CEL came on after it hit the lowest temp. Code came up as P061B.

This afternoon going home, same thing happened after over 30 minutes of driving, but this time the truck died while doing freeway speed. The dash flashed with all kind of stuff, the only thing I briefly saw was electronic throttle control, to put it in neutral and I think I missed a few since I was trying to not get hit by other vehicles. No loud bang, crack, burnt smell or leak of any kind. I tried to restart but no go, after I tried it show low oil pressure.

Got it towed and dropped off at the dealer tonight. We will see what is wrong with it. Oh yeah, I still like the truck. Will update soon.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,500 Posts
or the crank reluctor wheel/position sensor let loose

·
Registered
215 Posts
$$ on reluctor/tone ring

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to the service advisor and said the battery was not holding charge, not bad I guess since the truck is 5 years old and have not changed it yet. More troubleshooting tomorrow, I guess not a lot of this problem within southern California.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Not too bad if it's just the battery.. South cal heat + hotter running engine is also a battery killer. But 5 years on a battery ain't bad either way.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
coolant temperature showing strange numbers in 3rd paragraph could mean no coolant touching the sensor ..
how is the level of coolant in the degas bottle ??

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
coolant temperature showing strange numbers in 3rd paragraph could mean no coolant touching the sensor ..
how is the level of coolant in the degas bottle ??
Coolant level is where it should be!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Talked to the service advisor, they found the fuel pump "grenaded", that was in his own word. Fuel lines and everything needs to be replaced, and the first thing that came into my mind was all the money going down the drain. But, it is all under warranty. I didn't even know the fuel system is still under warranty. Should be done by Wednesday. Not sure how it happened, I replace the fuel filter every oil change. Fuel always comes from a reputable gas stations. I just don't get the connection with coolant temp temp, probably its because of the battery.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Talked to the service advisor, they found the fuel pump "grenaded", that was in his own word. Fuel lines and everything needs to be replaced, and the first thing that came into my mind was all the money going down the drain. But, it is all under warranty. I didn't even know the fuel system is still under warranty. Should be done by Wednesday. Not sure how it happened, I replace the fuel filter every oil change. Fuel always comes from a reputable gas stations. I just don't get the connection with coolant temp temp, probably its because of the battery.
eh... if they want to give you a new fuel system thats great. That has NOTHING to do with the temp readings. You have an electrical issue. Could be a bad battery but could also be some bad connectors or loose connections. Go through every wire coming off the battery and make sure it's tight.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree...I'd take the free fuel system replacement...awesome at 80K. My bet is that the fuel system is the real problem, and the temp readings are due to a bad temp sensor or something like that. Timing is just coincidental...that's my bet.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Interesting as our fuel here in Calif is considered very good/premium but they do blend biodiesel in from B5 up to B20 without telling you what the actual % is. (Chevron never did answer my email and their pump says the above info) Do we know if too much biodiesel will cause pump problems? I heard the BMW diesels state no more than B7 and since our little diesel is of Euro decent...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I apologize for not giving you guys an update. However, here it is.

The truck stayed at the dealer for about 2 weeks. They replaced crankshaft position wheel, it was cracking and sensor had oil in it. The code they got was P0336-00. After the repair, the truck started right up. When putting it back together they found the water pump leaking so they replaced the pump and filled with coolant. They also said the high pressure fuel pump failed and cause damage to the entire fuel system. They also replaced all of the fuel system. This was from the work order. Luckily this was all under warranty.

I picked it up from the dealer and not even making it home the coolant temp started going haywire again, it even went as low as -22 degrees. The truck lurch forward at one point when I was stopping and the engine light came on. Sent it back to the dealer and they check again and found nothing. They reprogrammed the PCM, test drove it and saw nothing. Service advisor said if it shows up again, they will need to replace the PCM.

Well, I picked it up and drove for over 40 minutes, street driving and highway speed. Nothing. I parked it and after an hour, wife came home from work and we decided to get something to eat. And lo and behold, not even 4 miles in, the coolant temp went crazy on me again. The truck actually had some hesitation when this happened. The engine light came on again, and the truck ran fine for the duration. We went on a drive thru and the temp didn't even move, idled fine and the drive back was a breeze. Coolant temp went up and down but not much, just down to 150-160 range. Mind you, it is 90's outside. I also noticed the gas pedal seems tight in feel. Well, it is back for maintenance.

Wish me luck, I cant wait until I get it problem free again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds to me like the dealership - well intentioned or not, did a lot of work at FCA's expense for absolutely nothing. The odds of a dead battery, catastrophic fuel problem, reluctor wheel failure, water pump failure and this, as yet unresolved electrical problem, all happening at once is about nil. In fact, the ONLY problem you originally went in for is not yet resolved.

The temperature gauge puts its reading onto the car's network, called CANBUS. Normally, the gauge is polling the network and displays values it gets from this CANBUS (network) connection. What's happening is that you have some kind of electrical issue that is shorting out the CANBUS. Your up/down temp gauge readings are an indication of a problem - perhaps just an intermittent short of the CANBUS but when it gets worse, the engine will shutdown as it cannot run without the CANBUS. Frankly, your dealer should have been going to this LOGICAL diagnosis path from the beginning.... instead of their trial and error approach of replacing parts (albeit at FCA's expense).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got the truck yesterday. Runs great, temp is stable, no crazy stuff happening. According to the service advisor, they found a pinch wire. Pissed that it took them this long to find the problem. I agree with Patriot, looks like the dealer got some money from Fiat/Chrsyler. I am not even sure if I will go back to this dealer even for warranty work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts