RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been searching and haven’t found a thread with an exact match to my issue. I apologize if I missed it. Truck is at about 37,000 miles. A few weeks ago I arrived at work, after about a 20 min highway drive. As I stopped at the gate to punch in my code the engine stalled on me. The truck was in gear, it was almost as if i had turned it off. After putting it in neutral it started right up as if nothing happened. There was no CEL, when it happened the truck only displayed low oil pressure (to be expected) and something else i only caught a glimpse of. After work took it to parts store, no stored codes they could read. Called dealer, they said drive it till it happens again (at just over 36,000. After they performed repairs). A few days later in town i drove to store, left hour later. After driving a couple of minutes I was stuck at a long light. As light turns green engine stalls. Same deal, no CEL. I had opened a case with ram customer after the first stall because it happened a day after dealer ”A” had made repairs to my truck (third attempt at it, steering issue, during second attempt they said Chrysler had them checking all sorts of things trying to track down an electrical issue). Took to dealer “B”. They pulled a stored code U0401. This code have been triggered during their repair/diagnose based on milage of when code set. Shows it happened once. Yesterday after work i hopped in truck to leave while getting situated the truck started to increase the rpm’s as though it was going to high idle and then went back down but started to idle rough for a few seconds as though it wanted to stall, almost like it was starving for fuel. I’m hoping that someone may have insight. Truck does ha GDE tune. And Dealer “B” didn’t want to touch it because they thought it could have been workmanship related to work “A“ performed. Dealer “A” lost my confidence when they swapped out the rack on my truck twice and it ended up being the steering column that was the issue.

·
Administrator
8,850 Posts
You don't by any chance have something plugged into the OBD2 port do you? Possibly could be a loose wiring harness connector. There is a big connector under the dash near your left foot that sometimes gets bumped loose. The other harness connector that's been mentioned here several times is underbody along the drivers side frame rail.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I bought a used higher mileage 2003 cummins years ago. After a week or so of owning and driving it, it started dying intermittently did it twice. I had bought a warranty thorough the dealer so I took it back to them to fix it. They said the injection pump was bad and refused to replace it under their warranty. After much beaching and moaning they undid the deal I got my trade back and they sold it to some other unsuspecting fella.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't by any chance have something plugged into the OBD2 port do you? Possibly could be a loose wiring harness connector. There is a big connector under the dash near your left foot that sometimes gets bumped loose. The other harness connector that's been mentioned here several times is underbody along the drivers side frame rail.
I checked under the dash. There are two connectors. The white one (easier to bump) did not have the locking lever secure. I wiggled the connector and nothing. I had to pull it a decent amount apart to get a reaction. Engine continued to run. Appears it was a connector to the bcm. Check engine light came on as a result. Stopped at auto store and pulled it. Two codes, one was bcm disconnected. Other was U0410 - invalid data from fuel pump control module. I am wondering if this was stored yesterday when it was acting up. Got home and checked the connectors on frame rail, all 4 or 5. By checked I mean tug and wiggle. I didn’t pull them apart. They all appeared to be fine/secure. No engine stall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And nothing plugged in to obd2 port. (Edge insight doesn’t work with the 2017) Lame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I
I bought a used higher mileage 2003 cummins years ago. After a week or so of owning and driving it, it started dying intermittently did it twice. I had bought a warranty thorough the dealer so I took it back to them to fix it. They said the injection pump was bad and refused to replace it under their warranty. After much beaching and moaning they undid the deal I got my trade back and they sold it to some other unsuspecting fella.
I have had this truck since new. 300 miles on it because they had to pick it up in Wisconsin and bring it to Indiana.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Fuel filter ??????? ever replaced in the 36,000 miles ??
or , do you often drive with tank below 1/4 ???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fuel filter was replaced at some point after 20,000 but well before 30,000. I picked up a new filter and am going to swap it this weekend just to be safe. It’s not common but on occasionally will dip below a 1/4 tank. Typically never below 1/8. 2 or 3 times since I have owned it has the E light come on (have to make sure it works, right). Also, always fill up at same station unless on an extended trip. But that hasn’t been since this summer.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
These trucks are quite sensitive to electrical input. I had a couple of gremlins--not exactly like yours--but they were cured by getting a new battery. And I also have GDE tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This weekend I am going to change the fuel filter. If problems continue I might swap out the battery next. The problem is intermittent so it might take a while to know if the problem is still there. But I will make sure to update as things progress. I hate when threads die without a resolution. When it came to my Duramax (LLY) there is almost nothing that couldn’t be solved via thoroughly researching the forums. It feels like we are the guinea pigs building up the library for future owners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s been a while now and the truck has not stalled on me again. Maybe it was replacing the fuel filter or maybe it was a two time fluke but it seems to be running fine now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts