RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the truck down into the forest a few miles and drove it into the snow about 40 feet off the road. Went snowshoeing with the pup. We were only out for 25 minutes. Came back and truck started up but then stalled in about 4 seconds with the message "oil pressure low." It was Christmas, and I live in the middle of nowhere, and no one was in town. Crap! I figured we could walk home....but I was cold and didn't really want to leave the truck there because it we got more snow I would need someone to pull it out.

Called RAM roadside assistance and they were going to send someone out (in about 2 hours) , but I figured I would try a few more times. So 20 minutes later it started and stayed on, no oil pressure issues, I drove back home and into the garage (only level spot on my property) So it had stalled about 10 times. An hour later I checked the oil and it was up to the Max line, I have 1200 miles on the brand new engine I got after my original one failed at 39K miles.

I've had no issues starting the truck today but have not taken it anywhere. Might drive an hour into Wenatchee tomorrow and have the dealer do a diagnostic on it to see if there are any messages in the computer. Or should I have it towed there? It's free to tow it, just a complete pain in the ass, but screwing up the engine is a worse pain in the ass.

It was only 29 degrees F when this happened, hardly cold enough to make the oil too gelatinous to get into those little oil passages----or? Any ideas? Should I be driving this thing?

Thanks in advance for your 2 cents.

Andrea

p.s. Something odd happened when checking oil. Before I found where the dipstick was (I know, but whatever, it's just a loop, no oil can picture!) I removed the cap on the engine where you add the oil, and when I did that it was like the entire truck sighed, there was a small swoosh and then the suspension dropped down. It was so weird! I was like "WTF did I just do!?" Started it and the air ride suspension was working fine. Whatever.

·
Super Moderator
4,024 Posts
Hi Andrea. I drive far from home all over even been through Elensburg a few times. Seems I even brought a boat to Wenatchee once also. While I get some comfort from AAA premier I also get comfort from having a simple two button code reader / clearer. I use the Bosch OBD 1,000 picked up off eBay $35. It has cleared codes that took me out of “limp mode” and more so that I could deal with lil issues later when convenient.

That said the GDE tune eliminates a lot of the stupid small stuff codes in the first place. Between those things I have confidence to drive it any where. Plug it in for severe cold & weather front also helps a lot I'd drive it into Wenatchee and especially if it at all acts weird stop by the dealerhship let them know and have them check the connections especially grounds they would of had apart when swapping in the motor. Best wishes with the new motor.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Sounds like a electrical issue hopefully just a bad pressure switch or loose wire. The pressure switch is only 7-8 psi if I remember correctly and unlikely to be that low under those conditions without bigger noticeable issues. I’d just drive it there and let them look at it.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I'm betting you just soaked an electrical connector or two under the truck. The most common connector to cause issues when wet is inboard of the driver's frame rail near the front door. See this thread for pics and details: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-battlefield/62174-water-damage.html

Open the connector and let it dry. You can also help it along with a hair dryer. Then add dialectic grease to the pin holes before reassembly.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
A little food for thought, The OP is on his second engine with only 1200 miles on it . Maybe FCA has a new program installed that doesn’t allow the truck to start or shuts it off if the LOW oil pressure switch isn’t closed within a certain time frame to help prevent dry starts due to thickening of Oil because of cold temperatures. Just a wild and crazy guess :rolleyes:

·
Registered
766 Posts
PRIMA: Check the big electrical connector under the dash, above your left foot kinda mounted to the firewall. There have been issues with that connector not being plugged in/seated properly. A lil loose and the Electrical Gremlins from Ghostbusters come at you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snow Winter Tree Natural environment Wilderness

This is a picture of the truck in the snow taken just before I got back in it and was like, "damn, I'm stuck." You can see the road in the left of the pic. I would not have driven off road in these conditions except for the fact that someone had taken his 3500 with a snowmobile trailer there and had made huge tracks in the snow. It is interesting that by doing so I could have soaked a sensor causing the truck to think it was low on oil.

Anyway, I love this forum for all of the thoughtful replies I get (much better than from the dealer!) Thank you. I will definitely drive it into the dealer and see what's up. And I am definitely going to shop for one of those code readers on Ebay. It's my only vehicle right now and I do live in an area that gets a lot of seasonal visitors but a lot of the time there are only a few of us full timers, and when shit goes wrong, you are on your own. Roadside assistance has come in handy more than a few times I must say.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PRIMA: Check the big electrical connector under the dash, above your left foot kinda mounted to the firewall. There have been issues with that connector not being plugged in/seated properly. A lil loose and the Electrical Gremlins from Ghostbusters come at you.
So there is a harness IN the truck under the dash as well as one under the truck i the same spot I should check?

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
like Bounty Hunter and Turkey Bird said ,
I would drive the 2 lleft tires on something so the truck would be a little higher on driver side , and look Under
for the connector in the picture ,
there is a locking clip on it , water or snow can easily throw the clip towards the rear
and unlock the connector , no need to drive all the way to the dealer if it is only that ,
the fix is written in Bounty Hunter's post , last line .
*** in second picture the locking clip is turned to the front of the truck ,
once you play with it you will see if this is the locked position , or unlock position , I don't remember **
other picture is smaller connector above left foot Inside the cab ,
it also has a small locking clip .
**if there is a little water in there it should be removed , when freezing it would expand and try to push apart the connector .
not to mention the shorts to trigger all kinds of error on the dash .

Attachments

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Right on Lou , my survival instinct dictates I would not trust that ,
specially going Under to play around with the connector that sends error messages
to the evic about anything related with stuff Under the truck , what if it makes the suspension go down while you are
working on the connector , that could scare anyone if not worse.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Just a word of caution, relying on the air suspension could be hazardous to your health.
How so? They never drop randomly, and if they did it wouldn't be enough to do any harm. People just making stuff up now?

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,349 Posts
How so? They never drop randomly, and if they did it wouldn't be enough to do any harm. People just making stuff up now?
I was taught not to crawl under a car held up by a floor jack unless it was on jack stands.... it trust a floor jack 1,000,000 times more than I trust any electronic mumbo jumbo or air suspension, especially when playing around with electrical connectors under the truck.

That said I have a non air suspension truck and easily fit under it, does the air ride really drop it low enough to smash you.

·
Administrator
10,042 Posts
MAS;938504does the air ride really drop it low enough to smash you.[/QUOTE said:
I guess Entry/Exit mode could get you stuck depending on where you are under the truck when/if it lowers.

TAKING TO THE TRAILS
Off-Road 2 mode provides impressive ground clearance for the path and trail and generous angles for approach, departure and breakover. The difference from normal is +2.0 inches.

OFF THE BEATEN PATH
Enjoy outstanding ride balance with Off-Road 1 mode, with an extra degree of clearance when off-road scenarios are less severe than those that warrant Off-Road 2 mode. The difference from normal is +1.2 inches front and +0.9 inches rear.

GETTING AROUND TOWN
Normal Ride Height is the most comfortable balance of ride and handling for everyday driving.

HIGHWAY DRIVING
At highway speeds, Aero mode automatically lowers the vehicle, reducing aerodynamic drag and “body roll,” and measurably improving fuel efficiency. The difference from normal is -0.6 inches.

DAILY INS AND OUTS
For convenience and comfort, Entry/Exit mode automatically lowers the vehicle, making it easier to get in and out of your truck, load your bed or hook up your trailer. This mode is manually controlled by the internal button bank or remotely with the key fob. The difference from normal is -2.1 inches front and -1.7 inches rear.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I was taught not to crawl under a car held up by a floor jack unless it was on jack stands.... it trust a floor jack 1,000,000 times more than I trust any electronic mumbo jumbo or air suspension, especially when playing around with electrical connectors under the truck.

That said I have a non air suspension truck and easily fit under it, does the air ride really drop it low enough to smash you.
good Survival instinct .....
it doesn't have to crush you , I was Under a car that moved 30 years ago ,
I can tell you the reflex alone had me bang my head on the ground while Under the car .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Took the truck down into the forest a few miles and drove it into the snow about 40 feet off the road. Went snowshoeing with the pup. We were only out for 25 minutes. Came back and truck started up but then stalled in about 4 seconds with the message "oil pressure low." It was Christmas, and I live in the middle of nowhere, and no one was in town. Crap! I figured we could walk home....but I was cold and didn't really want to leave the truck there because it we got more snow I would need someone to pull it out.

Called RAM roadside assistance and they were going to send someone out (in about 2 hours) , but I figured I would try a few more times. So 20 minutes later it started and stayed on, no oil pressure issues, I drove back home and into the garage (only level spot on my property) So it had stalled about 10 times. An hour later I checked the oil and it was up to the Max line, I have 1200 miles on the brand new engine I got after my original one failed at 39K miles.

I've had no issues starting the truck today but have not taken it anywhere. Might drive an hour into Wenatchee tomorrow and have the dealer do a diagnostic on it to see if there are any messages in the computer. Or should I have it towed there? It's free to tow it, just a complete pain in the ass, but screwing up the engine is a worse pain in the ass.

It was only 29 degrees F when this happened, hardly cold enough to make the oil too gelatinous to get into those little oil passages----or? Any ideas? Should I be driving this thing?

Thanks in advance for your 2 cents.

Andrea

p.s. Something odd happened when checking oil. Before I found where the dipstick was (I know, but whatever, it's just a loop, no oil can picture!) I removed the cap on the engine where you add the oil, and when I did that it was like the entire truck sighed, there was a small swoosh and then the suspension dropped down. It was so weird! I was like "WTF did I just do!?" Started it and the air ride suspension was working fine. Whatever.
My guess is that the exhaust clogged with snow. I got the low oil pressure light and couldn't start when my DPF clogged. We disconnected the DPF and it started right up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts